Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 questions for you?

Re: 2 questions for you?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    I agree on freel and really doubt they trade dunn. Basically though, I think Freel gives them a lot of options. Pick up a 2B, move phillips to SS. Pick up a SS, leave Freel and Phillips alone. Pick up an OF, move Freel to 2B, Phillips to SS
    I was an advocate of this in another thread. I think that Hunter coupled with keeping Aurelia gives you depth and the ability to rest guys when needed.

Hunter CF, Dunn LF, Phillips SS and Encarnacion 3B would all be set every day with about one day off per month. (When IFers rest Freel at 2B and fill in with Aurelia. when OFers rest Aurelia at 2B and fill in with Freel.)

Hatte plays 1B against RH and Aurelia 1B againsts LH.

Freel plays 2B but gets about 1 day per week off to stay fresh and healthy (with Rich at 2B).

Griffey plays RF and gets 1 day per week off with Freel in RF and Rich at 2B. Griffey would likely only accept a move out of CF if the reds acquired a perrenial Gold Glove like Hunter to replace him there. I just don't see him moving to make room for Freel or Deno (or he would have already done so).

This line-up "rotation" would provide better up the middle defense with Phillips at SS and Hunter in CF. (Hunter in CF would really help the flyball trio of Harang, Arroyo and Milton.)

Freel, Griffey and Rich would still be basically everyday players but each get about a day per week off to rest. Hatte won't have to play against LHP. And Finally, If some one gets hurt there are still 8 "regular" players to keep the machine running.

Though I think Freel is great in the OF, I don't think we can get a middle infielder that will help the team both offensively and defensively as much as we can by signing Hunter and moving these guys around.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: 2 questions for you?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Trading Dunn would be bonehead and I don't think the Reds do boneheaded anymore.
    especially when you're playing 81 games a year at GABP.

Certainly this team needs more and better pitching and defense, but I think Kriv is also smart enough to know that playing at GABP means that you will always need thumpers at the bat. So, this team cannot be totally remade in the Twins image, for that reason alone (and I have nothing against the Twins at all, I think they've done a great job over the years showing what a small market team can do against the profligate spenders).

Adam Dunn was made for parks like this.

What Kriv needs to do is go out and find the right handed version of Adam. Easy to say, I know. Tough to find guys who get on base 40% of the time and hit 40 HR a year.

Maybe we already have that guy; he's been looking very good at 3B recently
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?