Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Narron explains leaving Milton in to hit last night..

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Narron explains leaving Milton in to hit last night..

Cincinnati Post
    The Reds had two runs in and the bases loaded in the top of the sixth, the deficit cut to 3-2, when Milton's spot in the batting order came up. Manager Jerry Narron didn't think about sending up a pinch-hitter, because he already had predicted the exact situation he found himself in.
    "I told Bucky (Dent, the bench coach) before the inning started, 'This inning right here, Miltie's going to come up with a 3-2 game and the bases loaded and two outs and I'm going to let him hit,'" said Narron. "As well as he's pitching, we've got a lot of game left, we've got our lineup coming up at least once, probably more, and I have a lot of confidence in our other guys."

Looking back now, I can see his reasoning. I may not totally agree with it, and it ultimately didn't cost them the game, but at least there's an explanation to why he was thinking the way he was thinking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron explains leaving Milton in to hit last night..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Looking back now, I can see his reasoning. I may not totally agree with it, and it ultimately didn't cost them the game, but at least there's an explanation to why he was thinking the way he was thinking.
    And if the Reds had lost 3-2, there would have been a whole lot more people questioning that strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm not saying its the gospel truth here, but its easy for him to say that was the plan all along AFTER the fact.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

So Narron used his powers of prediction to win later on against just making a managerial move to make it more likely to open the inning up right there and then?

Suweeeeeeet.

Bottom line is, it worked.

If it hadn't, we'd all be fuming right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Bottom line is, it worked.

If it hadn't, we'd all be fuming right now.
    What worked? Not placing the team in the best position to win? Pffff. Milton has a record of blowing up after 5 or 6 so he most certainly did not learn from his past mistakes and he certainly didnt position the team for a win with his non move.

That, my friend, was the Reds winning in spite of Jerry Narron's best efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    What worked? Not placing the team in the best position to win? Pffff. Milton has a record of blowing up after 5 or 6 so he most certainly did not learn from his past mistakes and he certainly didnt position the team for a win with his non move.

That, my friend, was the Reds winning in spite of Jerry Narron's best efforts.
    But! Milton had not yet thrown even close to 5 or 6 innings' worth of pitches; he was in the 50's.

And, he has proven he can hit in critical situations... no, he didn't last night but he did last week.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Assume that:

A = At Bat from Milton with bases loaded
    B = At Bat from Pinch Hitter (Javy or Hollandsworth) with bases loaded

C = One or two innings of Middle relief (Belisle, perhaps?)
    D = One or two innings of Milton (6th and 7th inning).

Narron is saying that

D minus C is greater than B minus A.

In my mind D minus C is ALWAYS a small number...(or likely negative)
    Javy can outhit Milton...so..

Narron continues to use "NEW MATH"

"Pitching well" = 10 hits and 2 HR in 6 2/3...

Does not compute for me...sorry
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I guess I'll say this....if he's going to let a pitcher hit in that situation....I'd rather it be Milton.

He can actually hit. He had a 4 game hitting streak snapped last night.

It was still a risky move, but they won, and that's the important thing.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-25-2006 at 03:31 PM.

No. The bottom line Narron made the call...the Reds won...and are now in 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Furgoo
    No. The bottom line Narron made the call...the Reds won in spite of the call...and are now in 1st place.
    There, fixed.

I'm confused. Doesn't the lineup come around again right after the pitcher's spot? So Narron should really never PH for the pitcher since the lineup is coming up again.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    "Pitching well" = 10 hits and 2 HR in 6 2/3...

Does not compute for me...sorry
    Well the thing to consider is that the 2 HR's and most of the hits were in the first 2 innings of the game. If Milton would have given up a majority of the hits and 2 HR's in the 5th and 6th inning than he should've been pulled. In reality Milton had a low pitch count and settled in nicely from the 3rd inning and can hit pretty well for a pitcher, so my hat's off to Jerry. Something else that really struck me was the confidence that Narron has put in this ballclub. Instead of the Sean Casey attitude of losing we have a team that legitimately believes in themselves and thier abilities to win as a team. Something else to consider is if you have Valentin come in and say he gets a single and drives in 2 runs. If you bring in a reliever instead of Milton pitching after he found his groove, there is a likely possibility the bullpen might give up the 2 runs the Reds just scored. Or if Valentin doesn't get a hit and bullpen gives up 2 runs than you're down by 2 more runs without your effective pitcher on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    Well the thing to consider is that the 2 HR's and most of the hits were in the first 2 innings of the game. If Milton would have given up a majority of the hits and 2 HR's in the 5th and 6th inning than he should've been pulled. In reality Milton had a low pitch count and settled in nicely from the 3rd inning and can hit pretty well for a pitcher, so my hat's off to Jerry. Something else that really struck me was the confidence that Narron has put in this ballclub. Instead of the Sean Casey attitude of losing we have a team that legitimately believes in themselves and thier abilities to win as a team. Something else to consider is if you have Valentin come in and say he gets a single and drives in 2 runs. If you bring in a reliever instead of Milton pitching after he found his groove, there is a likely possibility the bullpen might give up the 2 runs the Reds just scored. Or if Valentin doesn't get a hit and bullpen gives up 2 runs than you're down by 2 more runs without your effective pitcher on the mound.
    I dont think Casey has a losers mentality. He wants to win just as badly as anyone else. Now Graves...there a loser.

Jerry's Heart = pitter-patter for Milton.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?