Turn Off Ads?

Thread: playoff bench?

playoff bench?

Assuming we make the playoffs ( and I think we will as the NL central winner. the Cards are really weak this year ) lets look at our playoff bench:

We won't need a 5th starter so an extra bench player ( 6 not 5 ) makes sense in the post season.

1. Valentine - backup catcher / LH pinch hitter
    2. Castro - backup infielder / late inning defense
    3. ?
    4. ??
    5. ???
    6. ????

LaRue won't be needed. We won't need 3 catchers in the playoffs & hit bat is terrible. Clayton is the same as Castro. I'll assume Hollandsworth is #3 if he hits in September

And if we make the World series we will have to get a DH.
    Maybe a Valentin/Castro platoon??? :thumbdown

If I were Wayne I'd be looking at who cleared waivers and whether we can improve the playoff bench.

- Will

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: playoff bench?

I'd say Hollandworth is a lock

Then either Hopper or Denorfia, whomever is better defensively to take Dunn out if we were to ever have a big lead

If we make the Series than Dunn/Griffey would need to split time at DH to have your optimal lineup.

Re: playoff bench?

Larue will be on there to be the back up catcher and allow Javy to pinch hit. You wouldn't want to pinch hit Javy in the sixth and then have Ross get hurt and be left without a catcher for the rest of the game. Also, although I don't care for Clayton he has come up big recently and will be on the roster over Castro for sure.

It will be:
    1) Larue
    2) Clayton
    3) Hollandsworth
    4) Javy
    5) Denorfia
    6) Extra pitcher or Castro??

There really isn't much in the minors that would suffice for a pinch hitter on a playoff team so I think this will be it. Its not great but not as bad as some make it out to be. It helps that the starting 8 is very solid top to bottom.

Turn Off Ads?