Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: players that Buster Olney says passed thru waivers..

Re: players that Buster Olney says passed thru waivers..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yes, he's gone from horrifyingly bad in 2005 to regular bad in 2006.
    I'll respectfully disagree. He has been halfway decent this year. Much better than last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only two players worth even considering from this list is Jeremy Burnitz (an upgrade over Hollandsworth as left handed pinch hitter), however his salary is probably to high for a role player. The other is David Wells, but I think that he would be awful in our ballpark. I like our roster the way it is, after September call ups, we will have healther arms in our pen, and down the stretch be as strong as anyone out of the bullpen, in the national league. Their is a good chance that everyone will be talking about our bullpen through October!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yes, he's gone from horrifyingly bad in 2005 to regular bad in 2006.
    Regular bad is a good description for every fifth starter in the league and many fourth starters (and second starter if you're STL). He has kept us in games and thats all you can ask for from the back of your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I would give him away just to dump the 5+ million he is owed next year. I could live with a AAA back up to dump LaRue.
    Right on

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky
    Regular bad is a good description for every fifth starter in the league and many fourth starters (and second starter if you're STL). He has kept us in games and thats all you can ask for from the back of your rotation.
    Most fifth starters don't make 8.5 million.

Just sayin'.
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Most fifth starters don't make 8.5 million.

Just sayin'.
    Totally agree that it was a bad deal but we might as well use him while we have him.

In regard to LaRue and waivers......

The actual waiver process is supposedly "secret". Any list that Olney had compiled would be based on leak(s) and/ or supposition on his part. Therefore, I have to believe that Onlney's list is not a complete list of everybody who cleared waivers.

At the time LaRue would have been on waivers this year's outstanding salary plus next year's salary would have made him a $6 million man. I don't think there is a team or GM alive that would have taken the risk that WK wouldn't have just let him go to clear that $6 million from his books.

The only possibility I see of someone claiming LaRue would have been if prior to Boston dealing for Lopez, the Yankees were still in position to block Boston when LaRue was on waivers and they (the Yanks) did it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    In regard to LaRue and waivers......

The actual waiver process is supposedly "secret". Any list that Olney had compiled would be based on leak(s) and/ or supposition on his part. Therefore, I have to believe that Onlney's list is not a complete list of everybody who cleared waivers.

At the time LaRue would have been on waivers this year's outstanding salary plus next year's salary would have made him a $6 million man. I don't think there is a team or GM alive that would have taken the risk that WK wouldn't have just let him go to clear that $6 million from his books.

The only possibility I see of someone claiming LaRue would have been if prior to Boston dealing for Lopez, the Yankees were still in position to block Boston when LaRue was on waivers and they (the Yanks) did it.
    I don't know about this. I would think if you coud get a few names you could get them all. All of the general managers in the league no who is out there so it wouldn't be unrealistic to think that Olney could have gotten a complete list.

I wouldn't mind picking up one of those OF that is on the last year of their contract. If we can throw away 2+ million on Cormier for the rest of the year, why not pick up Jenkins for the rest of the year? He's a bat off the bench, and he's insurance in case Freel or Jr get injured. I sure would hate to see an OF injury force us to start Hollandsworth in the playoffs.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If we can throw away 2+ million on Cormier for the rest of the year, why not pick up Jenkins for the rest of the year?
    That 2 million was for NEXT year, he's under contract, Jenkins would get all his jack for September, not that he'd matter anyway, he lost his starting job in Milwaukee.

Jenkins this season - .251/.333/.388/.720

Denorfia is the replacement for any injury, the guy just needs to be on the 40 man.

It's fine if you disagree with me, but his ERA is 5.22 and the Reds offense averages 5.02 runs per game, so he's generally making the offense work harder than usual. His K/9 is 5.41 -- Danny Graves territory. No matter what spot he occupies in the rotation, that's bad. Granted, he's better than last year, but when you have to shave more than a run off your ERA to be considered even slightly less than horrible, I don't want you pitching for my team.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That 2 million was for NEXT year, he's under contract, Jenkins would get all his jack for September, not that he'd matter anyway, he lost his starting job in Milwaukee.

Jenkins this season - .251/.333/.388/.720

Denorfia is the replacement for any injury, the guy just needs to be on the 40 man.
    You're right, I mistyped, I meant to say Cormier was owed that money for next year.

I still wouldn't mind paying Jenkins 1.3 or whatever he's owed for the rest of this year, just to have someone other than Hollandsworth off the bench, and to get some depth. I don't want Denfornia playing in the playoffs either.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I still wouldn't mind paying Jenkins 1.3 or whatever he's owed for the rest of this year,
    Yeah me either, if it's Monopoly money, what good is depth if it's filled in with garbage?

.202/.321/.326/.647 since the AS game, if WK gave a body for him and ended up paying him "real" money and then after all that all the Reds got was a .647 replacement I'm sure you'd give him a free pass right?

I don't know about this. I would think if you coud get a few names you could get them all. All of the general managers in the league no who is out there so it wouldn't be unrealistic to think that Olney could have gotten a complete list.

The waivers can include anybody on a 40 man roster who isn't on the DL. The street talk is that since teams can pull back anyone claimed, as a matter of strategy they routinely send through everybody and the kitchen sink (you have to get your minor league prospects who are on the 40 man thru to be able to send them to somebody for a "major leaguer"). In such a scenario, does it seem likely that in all the major leagues, that list of 15 guys are the only ones who made it thru without being claimed (or traded as a result of the process)? I think Onlney's list is his top 15 of guys who have done enough to have some name recognition and who may have enough value, in Olney's view, to be of interest to another team.

As to why a GM might tell some and not all.... It is politics and trading. If I've got a guy who made it thru and who I want to move and the market seems slow on him, it can help to have pundits reminding everybody he is available and talking him up. And all the better if in the process his name gets linked (even incorrectly) with team X if that might inspire team Y to come running to me with a a sweet deal just becasue they want to keep him out of the hands of team X.

And the same can work in reverse. If I want a guy who has cleared (and there could be many reasons why I did not just claim him) and his team is ambivalent about moving him or asking more than I want to give, I can try to ramp up the pressure on them by getting it out that he is avaialble.

I don't think any GM (even Leatherpants) is going to fork over an entire list. That is just too risky of being the sort of thing that could cause Uncle Bud Selig to come down on them, not to mention it is not liklely to be in heir own best trading interests.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I'll respectfully disagree. He has been halfway decent this year. Much better than last year.
    I think Milton has been much better than last year. I don't think his era accurately displays how well he's pitched overall. I am much more confident in him keeping us in games this year.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?