Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: players that Buster Olney says passed thru waivers..

Re: players that Buster Olney says passed thru waivers..

That may not be the entire list. Only "notable" names. I am sure there are a host of other players that have passed through.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Yes, he's gone from horrifyingly bad in 2005 to regular bad in 2006.
    Higher quality start ratio than Aaron Harang. 59.1% vs. 53.6%.
    Higher quality start ratio than the team average. 59.1% vs. 51.9%.

Bad? I guess it is each person's opinion. Bad for the money he gets paid... probably. Bad compared to all MLB starters... I'll say no.

The REDS are 6-3 in games he has started since the All-Star Break. 4-1 in games he has started in August. The only loss in August was a 3-0 shoutout in the game that Greg Maddux threw 6 perfect innings in his 1st Dodgers start.

If he is bad, then I'll have to say that 40%-50% of MLB starters are also bad.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Higher quality start ratio than Aaron Harang. 59.1% vs. 53.6%.
    Higher quality start ratio than the team average. 59.1% vs. 51.9%.

Bad? I guess it is each person's opinion. Bad for the money he gets paid... probably. Bad compared to all MLB starters... I'll say no.

The REDS are 6-3 in games he has started since the All-Star Break. 4-1 in games he has started in August. The only loss in August was a 3-0 shoutout in the game that Greg Maddux threw 6 perfect innings in his 1st Dodgers start.

If he is bad, then I'll have to say that 40%-50% of MLB starters are also bad.
    So he's had, what, 1 more Quality Start than Harang? The difference is, when Milton gets bombed, he gets bombed early in games, putting more pressure on the bullpen.

He's pitched 45 less innings than Aaron (in only 4 fewer starts) and allowed 4 more homers. His ERA is a run and a half higher.

The guy isn't a good pitcher. He's better than he was last year, but he's still lousy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I don't think Milton is having a good year, but I would not call it bad either. He is mediocre. When he is bad, he can look bad. But he does give a good game half the time if we look at the quality start (13QS/22GS). Harang (15QS/28GS) has thrown 43 more innings in 6 more starts. Harang avg. 6.44 IP/GS while Milton is at 6.24 IP/GS. Higher... but by less then 1 out per start. Milton actually has a tad better WHIP than Harang... 1.31 to 1.32. Harang is by far a better pitcher and CONSISTENT. I will not argue that. And we all know that Eric has a knack for the longball and hope their solo shots.

Not to make excuses for Milton, but he did have knee surgery April 23. Take out his last start before the surgery (4.1IP, 9ER) and the 1st start back from surgery (5IP, 5ER) and his ERA is 4.57 (128IP, 65ER). Not an ERA that will win a Cy Young, but good enough for a lot of MLB teams as a #4.

His salary is too high for his numbers. But our previous regime stuck us with it. I don't blame Milton for taking it (I know I would). I'd not shed a tear if he was to be traded and his contract went with him (and was re-spent on better pitching!). If he is on the REDS team, however, and the roster is-what-it-is... then he belongs in the starting rotation as #4 (Harang, Arroyo, Lohse, in no particular order). The REDS are 11-11 in games he has started. As a #4 guy that ain't so bad for the team. Whether it is him, the luck of lots of REDS scoring or better than normal bullpen work... they win 50% of the time when he takes the mound. If your #3, #2 and #1 are each better than him you should be in good shape.

Hopefully Homer will be ready when Eric's last paycheck is sent and we can bid Eric farewell. Until then we hope for his 59% QS ratio (not bad for a #4) to stay there or get better and pray that they score a lot of runs when he has his occasional bad game with lots of HRs. We can also wish a George Steinbrenner (or others) type buys the club and allows us to afford putting Bronson Arroyo in the bullpen!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Here is the thing about Milton. He makes way too much $ but does do a decent job of getting the team to the 7th inning with a chance to win. 6 innings and 3 runs is close to his average and that is really all I expect from a number 4.

As far as the money is concerned, the market for pitchers with any history of success is nuts. A lot of number 4s are complete unproven risks like say Boof Bonser or complete reclamation projects like say Paul Wilson a couple years ago. I'd rather have the Milton type than either of these types and unfortunately, these guys are expensive. The problem is we expect a guy making $9 Million to be a true ace, but that is about $6 to 7 Million short of true ace territory. It is more in the range of Matt Clement, John Leiber, Odalis Perz, Gil Meche, Joel Piniero, etc. Milton is comparable. If we didn't have a type like this, we'd be complaining about going with an unproven (say like Germano or Lizard) or a reclamation (like Joe Mays).

Turn Off Ads?