Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jay Bruce

Jay Bruce

What are the chances that Jay Bruce will be promoted to AA next year. He has been tearing up low A, and I think that he could be on the fast track to the major leagues.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce

Well judging by Joey Votto's outstanding first year in High A , I'm betting Bruce will have to prove himself there first before AA.

Probably similar pattern as with Baily. Start the year at high A ball and then move to AA mid summer if he does well. I could see him starting in AA if he tears up winter ball and has a good spring training.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697
    What are the chances that Jay Bruce will be promoted to AA next year. He has been tearing up low A, and I think that he could be on the fast track to the major leagues.
    He's only 19 right now. I'd imagine he'll spend at next year mostly in high-A with possibly a promotion to AA at season's end, then a full 2+ years between AA and AAA before maybe getting a midseason call-up to the bigs in 2009 at the ripe old age of 23.

But, I'm only guessing. Kid is wicked-good -- but the pitching gets much better from here on out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I continually say this, Krivsky seems to have no desire to jump players a level. He's been faithful to that with Bailey allowing the jumps only after putting in some time at the lower level. I think in the long run the Reds will benefit from this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I continually say this, Krivsky seems to have no desire to jump players a level. He's been faithful to that with Bailey allowing the jumps only after putting in some time at the lower level. I think in the long run the Reds will benefit from this approach.
    Generally agree, but pitchers are different from hitters. I see no porblem challenging Bruce. I would think the Reds would want him ready for the Majors by some time in 2008 so he can start easing in as Griffey's replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    He's only 19 right now. I'd imagine he'll spend at next year mostly in high-A with possibly a promotion to AA at season's end, then a full 2+ years between AA and AAA before maybe getting a midseason call-up to the bigs in 2009 at the ripe old age of 23.

But, I'm only guessing. Kid is wicked-good -- but the pitching gets much better from here on out.

Mid-2009 seems pretty conservative to me for a top-level hitting prospect at this point. I would expect Bruce to start in AA if he tears it up this winter/spring, and if he struggles there next year, look for him to repeat AA in 2008. Either way, I would expect to see him in Cincinnati by September of 2008. Truly elite hitting prospects usually hit the bigs before they turn 23.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Heck, most elite hitting prospects hit the majors before they turn 22.

Turn Off Ads?