Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: 8/26/06 - Reds vs. Giants Game Thread

Re: 8/26/06 - Reds vs. Giants Game Thread

When the Braves signed Terry Pendelton and Sid Bream before the 1991 season........did most laugh and say...."Yeah right....like that is going to help."

Both were OBP deficient and power deficient in power positions......Terry found new life....Bream was not that good....but they were both credited with bringing "winning type" attitudes and "will to win" type mentality to an org. that had been WAY worse than this org. I mean....bengal type bad.

Of course...it helped to have 3 great starters in Smoltz, Glavine and Avery that year....and even Liebrandt was very good.
    BUT without Terry for sure.....that team does not turn into a winner...just like that.

The Braves were a very good offensive and come from behind team that year......the seeds were layed for the type of Braves team that ruled the NL for the rest of that decade.

A combo of good players......along with "winning at all costs" mentality is what seperates division and WS winners.....from those other talented but unable to really win games type teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm not saying the Cards haven't made errors or screw-ups, but they never embarrass themselves in the way this club can.
    Is that the same Cards that got swept by the Cubs earlier this year?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-26-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I'm not saying the Cards haven't made errors or screw-ups, but they never embarrass themselves in the way this club can.
    Losing 15-3 and 14-5 in back to back games against the Braves must have been an ego booster.

This offense is frustrating. Matt freakin' Morris and Noah Lowry. Terrible. Both of these losses belong to the offense.

Dunn needs to be dropped to 7th or 8th until he decides to actually show up.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-26-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

As much as I hate to say it, it looks like the Cards are going to run away with the division. Our only hope appears to be the wild card, and with the Philles winning seemingly every night now, even that appears unlikely.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I'm not that negative, but there are some problems.

1. Narron leaves his starting pitchers in too long. This is his biggest flaw. I don't mind throwing Harang an extra inning when he's coasting and ahead, but in a close game or behind the manager's job is to take them out proactively, before trouble.

2. The team's offense is too dependent on long balls and walks. In a big stadium like the Giants' with good pitchers who don't walk guys, this offense is in trouble. The Reds are 8th in the weak NL in base hits and 4th in scoring runs. These are just ok stats, if the team is going to contend.

3. The pitching is improved from last year, but has a ways to go. It's 11th in the NL in team ERA. Not the stuff of a champ.

4. However, the team can still do it if one or two guys step up. I think the pitchers are going about as well as can be expected. On offense, Dunn and Freel need to pick it up. Dunn in particular. Freel has been ok but needs to do even more offensively. He is a key in this offense.

5. The Reds need to win Sunday.

Freel's impatience seems to cascade throughout the rest of the roster.

When he's patient at the plate, it seems like the entire team is more patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

This team grates at me like coarse fingernails on a chalkboard.

Just when you get excited...just when you think they might just be about to put it together, you get a combined 2 runs in 2 games facing Matt Morris and Noah Lowry; hardly Santana and Halladay.

Our manager makes ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision. He does something worthy of criticism every night, and I'm not talking about nitpicky, armchair QB-type of criticism. Unintelligent, harmful baseball decisions.

It's as if this team fears prosperity. 2 days ago, we're tied for the lead in the central, and optimism's running rampant. 2 days later, these guys flush their bats down the toilet and refuse to show up.

This is not a playoff-caliber baseball team in any other year, but this season is what it is - an anomaly. We have a very realistic chance to make the playoffs as either a division champ or W/C team. As much as these guys disgust me sometimes, I'm so starved for playoff baseball...I'll keep swatting at the housefly that is 06 Reds baseball.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 08-26-2006 at 10:08 PM.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Was at the game today...

At the end of the sixth I told my girlfriend that Arroyo had a pretty good game... only one earned run (not thinking Griffey's throw should count against him) and gave him some applause. When he came back out in the 7th here was our conversion...

me: "Narron's an idiot, Arroyo shouldn't be out here again after 114 pitches"

gf: "Maybe he will just pull him if he gets in trouble...."

me: "Our bullpen doesn't need the added pressure of a man on base when coming in"

Vizquel gets on base...

me: "Dammit! I'll bet you dinner that we don't get out of (Hillenbrand hits home run) this inning without giving up a run"

(Bray gets next three outs)

Didn't even get through the sentence... Ughhh!
    Last edited by GullyFoyle; 08-26-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I'm not that negative, but there are some problems.

1. Narron leaves his starting pitchers in too long. This is his biggest flaw. I don't mind throwing Harang an extra inning when he's coasting and ahead, but in a close game or behind the manager's job is to take them out proactively, before trouble.
    Yes. But you can say that and add "and very pitcher." He has no clue who to pitch and when to pitch them. I keep saying its because Vern Ruhle has been absent, but if that's the case, why is he managing in the first place?

2. The team's offense is too dependent on long balls and walks. In a big stadium like the Giants' with good pitchers who don't walk guys, this offense is in trouble. The Reds are 8th in the weak NL in base hits and 4th in scoring runs. These are just ok stats, if the team is going to contend.
    And those offensive numbers were before "the trade." My guess is that position will deteriorate as the season finishes. I wasn't a huge FeLo and Kearns fan, but trading Freel and Clayton for those two in games doesn't do anything for me.

3. The pitching is improved from last year, but has a ways to go. It's 11th in the NL in team ERA. Not the stuff of a champ.
    So true. The pitching is better, but how much? We traded offense for Bray and Magic. Yep, that's turned out well.

4. However, the team can still do it if one or two guys step up. I think the pitchers are going about as well as can be expected. On offense, Dunn and Freel need to pick it up. Dunn in particular. Freel has been ok but needs to do even more offensively. He is a key in this offense.
    I agree, but...you have to remember Dunn is either feast or famine. And Freel is a loose cannon. I'm prepared for the flame wars, but so many are so impressed with an amazing catch or his speed. He's coal bucket dumb at times, though. He goes up to the plate determined to kill balls and then other times has a good at-bat. Truth is, if you look at his statistics, he is way below average for an outfielder. Like it or not, Ryan Freel is a super utility man, not a starter in the outfield. He'll go 4-5 one night and have two 0-4 nights. In neither game will he drive in a run (tough for a leadoff man, I'll concede) and sometimes doesn't score any. He is the king of "empty stats." IN the last ten games, he's hitting .210 and has scored 6 runs. No RBI's. Of the runs he's scored (6), he scored 2 twice when the offense scored 14 runs each time and 1 run each in 5-1 and 7-2 wins. In the 4 losses in the ten game stretch, he was 1-15 with no runs and no RBI's and only one hit that wasn't a single (a double). Yes, he's made some great catches when he hasn't run over someone or been picked off base, but he isn't the kind of outfielder we need in right field. The bigger question is when or if Griffey will break out. That's the key.

5. The Reds need to win Sunday.
    Absolutely.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I still contend that this one of the most pathetically managed ballclubs I've seen in quite some time. I get weepy thinking where this club would be if even Jack McKeon managed it.

Jerry Narron is on my permanent s-list. He's putrid.
    Yep, I'm negative at this time of night about this team. And I agree with you. Problem is, four runs should not be a problem for this team, and yet for the last two games,they just hack, hack, hack and can't seem to handle a curve ball (Morris had a good one last night and today's pitcher had a pretty good one, too--good scouting IMHO).

But, Narron, yes. He inevitably will be fired and when he is the multitudes will agree, but for now a winning record seems to keep the fans at bay. A winning record at the end will keep the multitudes silent, but what they miss is the extension of Narron's contract further delayed our main goal--playoffs and contending every year. This year, it's easy to contend, but does he have the stuff to keep a team in a race when everyone else is winning constantly? I seriously doubt that. Boggles my mind and makes my blood pressure, which is already high, soar.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 08-27-2006 at 01:42 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?