Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Reds get Dunn on some sort of conditioning program please?

Could the Reds get Dunn on some sort of conditioning program please?

Especially off-season. With the money this guy makes, the importance he has to our franchise on-field, and his overall dollar value to the Reds franchise he needs to be in at least near-optimal physical condition. ESPECIALLY if he wants to stay in LF.

I love what the guy brings to the table, but imagine how much his performance could be improved with some lifestyle/cardio changes and improvements?

He's a great athlete with wonderful gifts, there's absolutely no excuse for him to be in the sort of physical condition that he is in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could the Reds get Dunn on some sort of conditioning program please?

Lazy ATHLETE FTW!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Especially off-season. With the money this guy makes, the importance he has to our franchise on-field, and his overall dollar value to the Reds franchise he needs to be in at least near-optimal physical condition. ESPECIALLY if he wants to stay in LF.

I love what the guy brings to the table, but imagine how much his performance could be improved with some lifestyle/cardio changes and improvements?

He's a great athlete with wonderful gifts, there's absolutely no excuse for him to be in the sort of physical condition that he is in.

But given his size (stature/ bone structure) will he ever have any significantly better acceleration and burst speed regardless? I can see where his endurance might improve and that could be a factor sprinting long distances into the gap or to the line but to me his biggest problem is jump and getting up to speed.

Maybe somebody needs to hook him up with Tressel's speed coach. That guy would know how to maximize a body like Dunn's.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    But given his size (stature/ bone structure) will he ever have any significanlty better acceleration and burst speed regarsless? I can see where his endurance might improve and that could be a factor sprinting into the gap or to the line but to me his biggest problem is jump and getting up to speed.

Maybe somebody needs to hook him up with Tressel's speed coach. That guy would know how to maximize a body like Dunn's.
    I think you're right, up to a point, but carrying a sizeable gut doesn't HAVE to be part of his stature. Haha, I'm not a professional trainer, but losing 20 pounds--at least--around the middle couldn't hurt his game, speed, or endurance.

He used to be a QB. Think he'd be in the physical condition he is right now if he was still playing football? No way in hell.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The Reds were the first team to have a Conditioning Coach, 45 years ago in 1961.

Do you think they don't right now?

Worth The Wait

This is one of those things that you can't prove or quantify, so I try not to bring it up.

However, I get the distinct impression that Dunn doesn't always "bring it" physically or mentally. I think he focus wanes, I think he loafs at times, and as good as he is, I think there is an even better player lurking inside. But I seriously wonder if he'll ever find it.

Whether he's fat, or loafs, thats' in the eye of the beholder... one thing is for sure he plays a hell of a lot more games then most players. This year he's number 4 in games played and the prior 2 seasons combined he was number 4.

Code:
    CAREER
    2004-2005

GAMES                            G     
    1    Alex Gonzalez               392   
    2    Luis Gonzalez               386   
    3    Chone Figgins               356   
    4    Adam Dunn                   332   
    5    Rob Mackowiak               325   
    T6   Juan Pierre                 322   
    T6   Miguel Tejada               322   
    T6   Miguel Cabrera              322   
    9    Alex Rodriguez              321   
    10   Brad Wilkerson              320

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The Reds were the first team to have a Conditioning Coach, 45 years ago in 1961.

Do you think they don't right now?

Tressel brought in a coach specifically dedicated to speed after the 2004 season, as if their defenses weren't already known for speed. My understanding is that they were more than pleased with the results and speed coach is now a permanent staff position. In the pieces that have been shown on TV he seems to work with them on footwork, first step, body position, how to carry their weight etc. He works with everybody, not just wideouts, backs, DBs, LBs. I believe the guy is a former sprinter.

They also have a dedicated strength coach. I don't know if there is anyone specific charged with overall conditioning.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio
    Tressel brought in a coach specifically dedicated to speed after the 2004 season, as if their defenses weren't already known for speed. My understanding is that they were more than pleased with the results and speed coach is now a permanent staff position. In the pieces that have been shown on TV he seems to work with them on footwork, first step, body position, how to carry their weight etc. He works with everybody, not just wideouts, backs, DBs, LBs. I believe the guy is a former sprinter.

They also have a dedicated strength coach. I don't know if there is anyone specific charged with overall conditioning.

OSU Football relates to Adam Dunn how?

If there's any part of Adam Dunn that concerns me, it's his throwing arm, but he plays LF, so I can deal with that.

Let Adam be Adam, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    OSU Football relates to Adam Dunn how?

If there's any part of Adam Dunn that concerns me, it's his throwing arm, but he plays LF, so I can deal with that.

Let Adam be Adam, folks.
    It's the same reason that Antonio Gates is the best TE in the NFL.

Mobile, more sure-footed when diving, more confident in your overall approach to fielding a baseball...

Man Pills

Keeping weight off is good for virtually any athlete. And that's different from "losing" weight, incidentally. Cardio, too. It's just a good idea no matter what.

Good for the pins. Good for the reflexes. Not sure how it helps his game at this very moment however. But it sure couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Whether he's fat, or loafs, thats' in the eye of the beholder... one thing is for sure he plays a hell of a lot more games then most players. This year he's number 4 in games played and the prior 2 seasons combined he was number 4.

Code:
    CAREER
    2004-2005

GAMES                            G     
    1    Alex Gonzalez               392   
    2    Luis Gonzalez               386   
    3    Chone Figgins               356   
    4    Adam Dunn                   332   
    5    Rob Mackowiak               325   
    T6   Juan Pierre                 322   
    T6   Miguel Tejada               322   
    T6   Miguel Cabrera              322   
    9    Alex Rodriguez              321   
    10   Brad Wilkerson              320
    That's expected given that he's 25 years old. However, I do think WilyMoRocks raises an interesting point. What happens when Adam turns 30 or 31 and his joints and tendons are not able to withstand the strain anymore?

Junior learned the hard way about offseason and in-season conditioning; I hope Adam doesn't get the same lesson.

That's not meant as a criticism either. I like Adam a lot. Just a statement of observation from someone who thinks he has a world of talent, but it's questionable whether he has the hunger and drive to be the best.

Haunted by walks

It wouldn't hurt, but Dunn will always be a big lumbering Texan, not a flying squirrel like Ryan Freel.

It's definitely a point worth raising, but in the back of my mind it reminds of when Eric Davis and Dave Parker slumped and fans said it was because they wore too much jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    It wouldn't hurt, but Dunn will always be a big lumbering Texan, not a flying squirrel like Ryan Freel.

It's definitely a point worth raising, but in the back of my mind it reminds of when Eric Davis and Dave Parker slumped and fans said it was because they wore too much jewelry.
    BCubb, that's a harsh comparison!

I would tell this to Adam as a friend as something he should consider even if he *wasn't* making millions of dollars a year from his physical gifts.

He is clearly not in good physical shape and there's no reason that he--especially!--should be that way.

Haunted by walks

Like I said, it's definitely a point worth raising. I can't help it if that's what came to mind for a moment. When guys struggle, we go looking for something to explain it. Meanwhile, Chris Duncan is butchering left field, and Jim Edmonds plays with all the drama of an Italian soccer player, and izzy (or Izzy Ain't) is going Danny Graves.

Turn Off Ads?