Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kyle Lohse Article

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Kyle Lohse Article

http://www.startribune.com/509/story/636598.html

Every time Kyle Lohse pitches well for the Cincinnati Reds, there's more clamoring for the Twins to be called out for trading away someone who could be helping their playoff cause. Lohse's numbers admittedly do look nice: A 1.65 ERA in five games with 26 strikeouts and just six walks in 271/3 innings. And who knew he could have served Ron Gardenhire's piranhas as a pinch hitter?

Those with short-term memory issues take note.

Lohse beat the Twins in arbitration two years in a row despite going 9-13 in both 2004 and 2005.

It was Lohse who pounded Gardenhire's door after being removed from a game late last year.

Gardenhire tried to reach common ground with Lohse. The two played golf together during spring training this year, and everything seemed fine. But Lohse twice broke rules by not remaining in the dugout after being pulled from games, and his "Can somebody make a play?" comment in Detroit after Michael Cuddyer made a valiant diving effort but came up empty was flat out wrong.

Leaving early, yelling at teammates, a 2-5 record and 7.07 ERA after a couple 9-13 seasons?

Lohse had to go, even if he still has plenty of friends on the team. So now he's in the National League, the equivalent this year of the AHL, the ABA and the CFL.

Lohse was traded to the Cincinnati Twins, er, Reds on July 31 for minor league pitcher Zach Ward. Honestly, Lohse should have been traded before the season, which the club considered at the time, or before the 2005 trade deadline, which the club also considered at the time.

Heck, in classic hindsight, Lohse should have been dealt to Pittsburgh when the Twins were interested in Jason Schmidt before he was dealt to San Francisco in 2001.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Kyle Lohse Article

Not trying to make excuses for him, his pitching in MN this year was as bad as his attitude, but sometimes these sorts of issues are affected by a change of scenery. Sounds like a maturity problem and perhaps a different environment will help. I guess we'll find out when he struggles...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Not trying to make excuses for him, his pitching in MN this year was as bad as his attitude, but sometimes these sorts of issues are affected by a change of scenery. Sounds like a maturity problem and perhaps a different environment will help. I guess we'll find out when he struggles...
    Same could be said for Brandon Phillips with Cleveland - change of scenery and reality does wonders (sometimes).
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

So then the key is knowing when to sell high with these guys. The Indians and Twins both sold low to the Reds, and now they both look somewhat dumb, don't they?

This is also why I've been floating the idea of trading David Ross in the offseason.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    This is also why I've been floating the idea of trading David Ross in the offseason.
    Great idea, for the reason stated.

My only caveat is that larue will likely only be with us for next season (unless we can trade him).

We could likely use Ross and Valentin as a someone cheap alternative during the next 2-3 years.

If we can find a taker in Larue, keep Ross, unless the market in Ross is huge.

Just another writer trying to put a positive spin on a trade.

I like how he blames Lohse for "beating" the Twins in arbitration.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

i've said this before, Lohse has talent, but if he had the makeup of a guy like Paul Wilson he'd probably be scary good.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    i've said this before, Lohse has talent, but if he had the makeup of a guy like Paul Wilson he'd probably be scary good.
    No doubt about it. A couple of questions, however:

1) When did Lohse's makeup first become a concern?
    2) Did Paul Wilson develop his makeup before or after his arm troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    No doubt about it. A couple of questions, however:

1) When did Lohse's makeup first become a concern?
    i believe it has been since making it to the majors.

2) Did Paul Wilson develop his makeup before or after his arm troubles?
    not a clue.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Man Pills

I'm actually unimpressed with Lohse's stuff. I always have been. Reminds me of Tomko's stuff--little movement and doesn't miss a ton of bats, for all of its velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    So then the key is knowing when to sell high with these guys. The Indians and Twins both sold low to the Reds, and now they both look somewhat dumb, don't they?

Vin Scully tonight mentioned Valentin's new contract and LaRue's contract, then the fact that the suddenly productive Ross was arb eligible....

could happen, you know.

Turn Off Ads?