Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips

Brandon Phillips

I've been noticing that he is always swinging at the first 2 pitches, (unless they are high) and mostly just fouling them off putting him down 0-1 or 0-2 and the count. This team really needs him to get the count in his favor so he can get on base more because half of our lineup is already swinging for the fences every AB.

I hope this lineup starts playing more small ball down the stretch.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Brandon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    I've been noticing that he is always swinging at the first 2 pitches, (unless they are high) and mostly just fouling them off putting him down 0-1 or 0-2 and the count. This team really needs him to get the count in his favor so he can get on base more because half of our lineup is already swinging for the fences every AB.

I hope this lineup starts playing more small ball down the stretch.
    Lack of plate discipline has been the downfall of this team lately, and particularly the same cast of characters.

Griffey and Phillips, have been two of the biggest culprits of swinging early in the count. Royce Clayton, since being a Red, has joined that club as well.

I understand some advance scouting reports may suggest to our hitters that certain pitchers leave pitches in the strike zone early in the count, but I think our selectivity (maybe it's a word, maybe it's not...) is definitely lacking and overall hurting production.

I'm not sure if small ball is the answer, but getting guys on in the top of the order, particularly Freel and Hatteberg lately would help Griffey, EE and Dunn see more and better pitches.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Today was frustrating (heck, three days running!), that's for sure, and I agree there seemed to be a lot of pop-outs on early pitches.

But in general, the Reds have been very patient at the plate this year. Some say Chris Chambliss is to thank for this trait.

How patient? Well, a look at the stats on MLB.com show they lead the NL, with 3.859 pitches per plate appearance (PA).

The Nats are 2nd, the Phils 3rd, and the Pads 4th. The Mets, who lead the NL in runs scored, are in the middle of the pack (3.776), and the SF Giants are dead last, with 3.579 pitches per PA.

In fact, the Reds actually padded their NL lead in pitches per PA today. Giants pitchers threw 149 pitches, and the Reds had 33 AB + 2 BB for 35 plate appearances for a total of 4.26 pitches per PA.

The Reds also lead the league in walks, and are 2nd to the Dodgers in OBP.
    sorry we're boring

Swinging early in the count does not mean it's not a good at-bat (especially if it's a get-ahead fastball attempt from the pitcher). Brandon usually has to hit in front of Clayton, LaRue, or the pitcher. I'd much rather him be aggressive than passive in that part of the lineup.

It's not a good AB when he just fouls the first pitch off 75% of the time as he has been doing. He is swinging at pitches in the dirt too.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick
    It's not a good AB when he just fouls the first pitch off 75% of the time as he has been doing. He is swinging at pitches in the dirt too.
    Do you have stats to back up the statement that he fouls off the first pitch 75% of the time or are you simply guessing and making a statement for effect? I'm asking because, if it were true, it would seem to me to be a rather extreame statistic that could be corrected.

Rem

Philips is in a tough spot. At the tail end of the order he's going to see next to nothing to hit.

The team as a whole seems to have these outbreaks of "swing at the 1st pitch no matter what" games and they just hack away. If it's a pitch to hit, great, but some games EVERY pitch must be "the one" because the Reds are just hacking away.

Being younger, and having "potental" label on him prob induces him to press more at the plate than a player normally would. This is when, I think, he starts a swinging.

Something tells me we will see a "Chamblis" effect on Phillips as time wears on, however.

Turn Off Ads?