Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choke artists?

ORG Infidel

Choke artists?

I hate to say this about the team I love, but there are whispers in my mind. Every time they get into first place or win a big series they seem to go into the tank the next series. 8 game win streak followed by an eight game losing streak, win a very important 2/3 from the Astros and manage to close the gap to percentage points on St Louis then look PATHETIC in SF. With all the opportunities squandered we are lucky to even be in the race. When is this team going to stop being afraid of it's own shadow?

I am disgusted with this team right now. Particularly the offense. 2 runs in three games?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Choke artists?

How can you choke when your playing at the same pace, and level you've been on all year? They're a .500 team. They're gonna go through highs and lows.

Exactly. This team doesn't have enough talent to be considered a "choker." I love this team, but it is what it is, a .500 ballclub.

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    How can you choke when your playing at the same pace, and level you've been on all year? They're a .500 team. They're gonna go through highs and lows.
    Oh come on. This team disappears whenever they get a chance to do something really good. I love this team as much as the next guy, but I refuse to make excuses for their inability to take advantage when opportunity presents itself.

I understand your frustration, and I agree with you. But this team has also risen up and met the occasion several times. This team has won many games based on it's desire to not quit alone. It's just not a great team, and it's only a playoff team (maybe) because of the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero
    Oh come on. This team disappears whenever they get a chance to do something really good. I love this team as much as the next guy, but I refuse to make excuses for their inability to take advantage when opportunity presents itself.

They go on a hot streak and gain ground. Then, the law of averages takes over and they lose some ground. They're just not that good. Fortunately, this year it may be just enough.

In a "normal" year, they'd be 5 games back of the WC.

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    They go on a hot streak and gain ground. Then, the law of averages takes over and they lose some ground. They're just not that good. Fortunately, this year it may be just enough.

In a "normal" year, they'd be 5 games back of the WC.
    My expectations are high, but not unreasonable. The things that they are not doing are fundamental to the game. If it was pitching coughing these games up all the time I would agree, but the things they are failing at are things that should be second nature to a little league team. Routine put-outs, getting a fly ball to score a runner from third with less than two outs, moving runners over etc. etc. etc. My personal we make bad pitchers look like Cy Young at least once a week. Is Weaver really that much of amystery to our lineup?

If it was just poor pitching I could almost understand. But with strong fundamentals and just doing what baseball teams are supposed to do day in day out we should be up 3-4 games right now.

I'm not sure I'd saying this team is choking. They've done this several times throughout this season where they sputter and sputter badly. There have been a couple of stretches where it looks like they're set to put people away and then do what they've done now, but I'm not sure it's choking; at least not in the sense of not being able to play the big games. They've had periods of going into these collective offensive funks and it's been maddening.

A day at a time, let's get 'em tomorrow.

Cicero,

I do not get it. This pattern has not changed about the Reds ALL season. They are terrible at situational hitting. Dunn, Griffey, Freel are slumping. When they are done, others will slump. It is just the nature of the beast.

We have a decent starting staff for the NL but if you have noticed, every team in the NL is streaky this year. We are just a bit better than others at it. Whether the Reds make it or not, we are still headed in the right direction.

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by 91OSUAlum
    Cicero,

I do not get it. This pattern has not changed about the Reds ALL season. They are terrible at situational hitting. Dunn, Griffey, Freel are slumping. When they are done, others will slump. It is just the nature of the beast.

We have a decent starting staff for the NL but if you have noticed, every team in the NL is streaky this year. We are just a bit better than others at it. Whether the Reds make it or not, we are still headed in the right direction.

Choke may not be the best word. But these swoons are making me crazy.

I do agree that we are headed in the right direction, I just want a return on my emotional investment.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

This team isnt choking. They are playing exactly as they havew been all year. Up and down. What is amazing is the whole rest of the league is just as mediocre. I cant believe how many chances the Reds are getting in staying in the wild card race.

The Reds have been given every chance in the world to run away with either the division or th ewild card and have managed to squander each chance with agonizingly bad baseball it seems.

just a very average team "artists".

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    This team isnt choking. They are playing exactly as they havew been all year. Up and down. What is amazing is the whole rest of the league is just as mediocre. I cant believe how many chances the Reds are getting in staying in the wild card race.

The Reds have been given every chance in the world to run away with either the division or th ewild card and have managed to squander each chance with agonizingly bad baseball it seems.
    That's the thing that is driving me crazy. The squandered opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    and the reason they haven't taken advantage is ....

they just aren't all that good and neither is the competition. In a normal year the Reds would be at least 10 games out and they would be playing out the string at this point.

Instead the Reds and everyone else each has some large warts that keep them from getting away from .500

The Reds are still a poor defensive team with suspect starting pitching and a flammable bullpen. And now they have fewer hitters in their lineup that can carry the day offensively. Simply put they are a flawed team. They were before the season started and they still are But choke artists? Please.

Turn Off Ads?