Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 3 Catchers?

3 Catchers?

In other threads I've suggested releasing LaRue. Granted, he's probably more athletic than the other catchers, arguably throws better, and perhaps handles the staff somewhat better. But his defensive assets are only narrowly better than the other two guys. And those assets haven't gotten the Reds into first place.

And his -- and presently the whole team's -- offense is so feeble that he is just robbing the other two of plate appearances that could make the difference in so many games.

For example, look at the splits showing Ross and LaRue hitting against LHP and Valentin against RHP.

Player -- OBP -- SLG -- AVG

D Ross .500 1.059 .412 against LHP
    J LaRue 314 .364 .205 -- against LHP
    Valentin.289 .424 .252 -- against RHP

And LaRue's even done worse against RHP; Narron should easily be able to pick and choose much better match-ups if he had only Ross and Valentin to use.

Ross has only gotten 182 AB and Valentin just 156, with LaRue "using up" 166 AB that could have gone to the other two catchers. If there had only been David and Javy behind the plate this season, I believe that it would be the Cards chasing the Reds at this point and not the other way around.

Dumping Jason would open up a roster spot for however it could be best used. Some of us have suggested centerfield types like Denorfia to give the starting OFers some much needed down time during the stretch drive.

Who would be more valuable between now and the playoffs, Deno orJason?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 Catchers?

Ross, if he had played the whole season, would be on pace for over 75 homers.

That, along with his high batting average and great OBP is more than enough to make him starting catcher.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

The Reds are 9 games over .500 with Larue behind the plate.

Statistical anomaly?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck

Statistical anomaly?
    In the statistical community, I like to refer to that as the "outlier". LaRue's contribution skews the rest of the data.

As to more valueable between now and playoff time, it's a no brainer: Chris Denorfia.

We actually need another OF, for once.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck

Statistical anomaly?
    LaRue is the catcher for the best pitcher, record wise. So yeah, it's a little bit misleading.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thats the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

I don't think we are gonna pay LaRue 5.1 mil to sit at home next year. That is a DanO move. Maybe the Brewers will want him if DanO advises that.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I don't think we are gonna pay LaRue 5.1 mil to sit at home next year. That is a DanO move. Maybe the Brewers will want him if DanO advises that.
    Maybe we can get Bill Hall for Jason LaRue, since Bill Hall is, after all, the Reds Killer of all Reds Killers.

Turn Off Ads?