Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OJ Mayo is leaving NCH

Retired

OJ Mayo is leaving NCH

It isn't being reported by the Cincinnati media yet, but he's transferring to Huntington High School in West Virginia tomorrow. Bill Walker might follow, or at least file for eligibility in WV.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OJ Mayo is leaving NCH

Reports here are that Mayo will enroll at Huntington High School, which has won West Virginia's state Class AAA basketball title the last two seasons. Huntington High already has this state's player of the year in Patrick Patterson, a kid who has offers from Duke and a host of other top flight basketball colleges.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

HHS going to be tough, huh RedsBaron? Too bad they aren't the "Pony Express" anymore. That was a great nickname.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    HHS going to be tough, huh RedsBaron? Too bad they aren't the "Pony Express" anymore. That was a great nickname.
    I agree. I always liked that nickname, but then I also like the nickname the current HHS took from the former Huntington East High School-the "Highlanders."

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

According to the Enquirer, Mayo is still in Cincinnati.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d.../SPT/308280028

Mayo still in Cincinnati
    BY TOM GROESCHEN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

North College Hill basketball star O.J. Mayo was in class at NCH Monday morning, amid rumors that he was about to transfer to Huntington High School, W.Va.

"I have no idea where these reports come from, but I talked to O.J. just this morning in my office," NCH athletic director Joe Nickel told The Enquirer today. "He has always been enrolled here, and I can confirm he is in class today."

A Huntington area TV station, citing unnamed sources, reported Sunday night that Mayo would enroll at Huntington High today.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Huntington High officials told the Huntington Herald-Dispatch that Mayo could still enroll at the school later today, but as of this morning, Mayo was still in Cincinnati at NCH.

Mayo, entering his senior year at NCH, is a two-time Ohio Mr. Basketball who has led the Trojans to consecutive Division III state championships.

Rumors have swirled that Mayo might transfer, after fellow NCH star Bill Walker recently was declared ineligible for the 2006-07 season by the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

The OHSAA ruled Walker has used up his eligibility because of a ninth-grade year in the 2002-03 season at Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., near where Mayo and Walker grew up. Both players transferred to NCH from Rose Hill in early 2003.

Mayo and Walker have spent the past three years at NCH but originally are from Huntington, about 140 miles southeast of Cincinnati. Mayo's mother, Alisha Mayo, still lives near Huntington in South Point, Ohio.

Alisha Mayo told The Enquirer two weeks ago that O.J. would stay at NCH.

"He finishes where he starts," Alisha Mayo said.

Nickel also said that Walker was in class at NCH on Monday. Walker has said he would finish his schooling at NCH this year and not play basketball this season.

The status of Keenan Ellis, a 6-foot-11 NCH senior, is unknown. Ellis was dismissed from the team last February and rumors have also circulated as to his whereabouts. Nickel said he is uncertain of Ellis' situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It is now official, OJ is now headed back to Huntington.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0301/308280050

Mayo confirms move
    BY CHRISTOPHER LAWLOR | USA TODAY

Who says you can’t go home? O.J. Mayo, the nation’s top high school basketball player, told USA TODAY on Monday that he’ll transfer to Huntington (W.Va.) High in the city where he grew up.

Mayo said he will be in class Tuesday after transferring for his senior season from North College Hill in Cincinnati, making it three schools in four years.

Mayo played for Rose Hill Christian in Ashland, Ky., as a freshman, earning first-team all-state honors after leading the school to the state tournament.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Said Mayo, who did not comment on his reasons for the move: “It’s exciting to go home, but it’s sad leaving North College Hill. I consider Cincinnati a second home.”

As a junior, Mayo helped NCH (26-1), win its second consecutive Division III state title in March. The team was ranked No. 3 in USA TODAY’s final Super 25 rankings in 2006.

Additionally, he was named Ohio’s Mr. Basketball for the second consecutive year after averaging 28.8 points. Mayo, who said he’ll miss playing with Walker, has not announced his college choice.

Mayo’s move means childhood friend Bill Walker will finish his senior year at North College Hill alone. Recently, the 6-6 Walker was declared ineligible for the 2006-07 season by the Ohio High School Athletic Association.

Huntington, two-time defending champion of West Virginia’s largest classification (AAA), already returns three Division I-caliber players, most notably 6-8, 235-pound power forward Patrick Patterson, whose college suitors include Florida, Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and Wake Forest.

“Arguably we have the best (high school) team in the nation,” Mayo said.
    A starting lineup of OJ Mayo, Michael Taylor, Jamaal Williams, Chris Early(verbal to Oklahoma), and Patrick Patterson(on Florida, Duke, and UK's wish list among others) will be easily no 1 or 2 in the nation.

I am definitely planning on getting tickets to see Huntington take on the Big Reds here in Parkersburg in February. I wanted to see Patterson play, now I have another reason.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

no he ain't !!

Quote Originally Posted by ol'Sparky View Post
    no he ain't !!
    Don't know where he is or "ain't," but the Enquirer says he's now in Huntington:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d.../SPT/308290021

Is it just me, or is OJ getting to be little too much of a diva? Especially for a high schooler?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I agree. I always liked that nickname, but then I also like the nickname the current HHS took from the former Huntington East High School-the "Highlanders."
    Always a bitter rival of my alma mater, the Barboursville Pirates, were those Highlanders. Moreso than the Pony Express. The Greyhounds of Milton are no more, either. Sad that all the consolidation has taken the schools away from the communities. Your Wayne Pioneers have survived, haven't they?

John Wooden

My apologies. This remark, although uncalled for, was not meant in a mean spirited tone, more along the lines of another spoiled athlete thinking he is bigger than the system.
    Last edited by lo ryder; 08-30-2006 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lo ryder View Post
    Who really cares?
    The people who are posting in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It is now official, OJ is now headed back to Huntington.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...0301/308280050

A starting lineup of OJ Mayo, Michael Taylor, Jamaal Williams, Chris Early(verbal to Oklahoma), and Patrick Patterson(on Florida, Duke, and UK's wish list among others) will be easily no 1 or 2 in the nation.

I am definitely planning on getting tickets to see Huntington take on the Big Reds here in Parkersburg in February. I wanted to see Patterson play, now I have another reason.
    I wonder if Marshall University fans will reflect upon the fact that HHS has all this wonderful senior talent, yet it does not appear that any of its players will play at Marshall next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Always a bitter rival of my alma mater, the Barboursville Pirates, were those Highlanders. Moreso than the Pony Express. The Greyhounds of Milton are no more, either. Sad that all the consolidation has taken the schools away from the communities. Your Wayne Pioneers have survived, haven't they?
    Yes they have. Wayne's baseball team didn't have a good season this past spring, perhaps in part because of the retirement of Coach George Brumfield (the field is now named after him), but the football team has been great in recent years, with several undefeated regular seasons.
    Wayne County now has three high schools, with Fort Gay and Crum combined to make Tolsia and C-K, Vinson and Buffalo combined to make Spring Valley. Tolsia has done well. What has been the major disappointment is Spring Valley, at least in football. I'm sure you can recall all those state championships won by C-K from the 1960s through the mid-1990s, and Buffalo and Vinson were usually good, too. Last year Spring Valley went 0-10.
    This year the four high schools in Lincoln County were all consolidated into one school.
    It is tough on local communties when schools are consolidated. The communities often lose much of their identities, and it sometimes makes for very long schoolbus trips for students on our inadequate road system.

Quote Originally Posted by lo ryder View Post
    Who really cares?
    If you don't like it, don't read it.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yes they have. Wayne's baseball team didn't have a good season this past spring, perhaps in part because of the retirement of Coach George Brumfield (the field is now named after him), but the football team has been great in recent years, with several undefeated regular seasons.
    Wayne County now has three high schools, with Fort Gay and Crum combined to make Tolsia and C-K, Vinson and Buffalo combined to make Spring Valley. Tolsia has done well. What has been the major disappointment is Spring Valley, at least in football. I'm sure you can recall all those state championships won by C-K from the 1960s through the mid-1990s, and Buffalo and Vinson were usually good, too. Last year Spring Valley went 0-10.
    This year the four high schools in Lincoln County were all consolidated into one school.
    It is tough on local communties when schools are consolidated. The communities often lose much of their identities, and it sometimes makes for very long schoolbus trips for students on our inadequate road system.
    And limits the opportunities of high school athletics for a lot of kids. West Virginia is doing the exact opposite of what a lot of progressive areas are doing. Bigger is not better.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?