Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's YOUR punishment for him?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, that's just Griffey being Griffey

    27 31.76%
  • Kangaroo Court fine

    23 27.06%
  • 1-day suspension

    29 34.12%
  • Other (explain)

    6 7.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70

Thread: Griffey's K

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,062

    Griffey's K

    Griffey struck out today in the 1st, and the ball rolled all the way to the back stop and Griffey didn't even jog towards first. He flipped his helmet and bat and walked towards first (slowely) while Alfonzo chased down the ball and threw him out.

    If you were the manager, what is your punishment?

    If you haven't seen it, you can see it on the giants website on the video highlights of Cain striking him out.
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/N...ex.jsp?c_id=sf
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 08-28-2006 at 12:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    142

    Re: Griffey's K

    Good lord quit your hatin'. Check out Griffey's stats in August.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by uks2h
    Good lord quit your hatin'. Check out Griffey's stats in August.
    I'm not hating against his results. I felt like today he threw up a white flag in the 1st inning.

  4. #4
    Member CTA513's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,716

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I'm not hating against his results. I felt like today he threw up a white flag in the 1st inning.
    Giants announcers: "and that gets away and Griffey is not going to run"

    He should have atleast jogged down to first. Him watching the ball roll to the back stop and not even attempting to run to first doesnt set a good example for the younger players on the team.

  5. #5
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Griffey's K

    Man, I so wish Narron would grow a backbone and send a message to Griffey and the rest of the team as to what happens if/when you show such a blatant disregard and disrespect to the game as Griffey did today by not running on that passed ball strike 3.

    Benching Griffey for a game would actually be a good thing for this team, as he's an offensive blackhole in the 3 slot, and a defensive liability in CF.

    I'm so torn between Jr being Jr and the 1 game suspension....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Man, I so wish Narron would grow a backbone and send a message to Griffey and the rest of the team as to what happens if/when you show such a blatant disregard and disrespect to the game as Griffey did today by not running on that passed ball strike 3.

    Benching Griffey for a game would actually be a good thing for this team, as he's an offensive blackhole in the 3 slot, and a defensive liability in CF.

    I'm so torn between Jr being Jr and the 1 game suspension....
    He hasn't been a blackhole for a while now.

  7. #7
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    He hasn't been a blackhole for a while now.

    Including his August stats, for the year he's sporting a .320/.494 line. .814 isn't what I expect out of our starting future HOF CF.

    Thankfully, his SLG is somewhat offsetting the most horrendous OBP since his rookie year.

    The other alarming trend is that his K:BB ratio is going the wrong way away from his career average.....

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,062

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Including his August stats, for the year he's sporting a .320/.494 line. .814 isn't what I expect out of our starting future HOF CF.

    Thankfully, his SLG is somewhat offsetting the most horrendous OBP since his rookie year.

    The other alarming trend is that his K:BB ratio is going the wrong way away from his career average.....
    I know this, by saying, "a while" I meant like the last 20 games he hasn't been a black hole

  9. #9
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I know this, by saying, "a while" I meant like the last 20 games he hasn't been a black hole
    Actually it's more like 30, which I agree would classify as "a while".

  10. #10
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Including his August stats, for the year he's sporting a .320/.494 line. .814 isn't what I expect out of our starting future HOF CF.

    Thankfully, his SLG is somewhat offsetting the most horrendous OBP since his rookie year.

    The other alarming trend is that his K:BB ratio is going the wrong way away from his career average.....
    On July 26th his OBP was .288. Just for August his line is .394/ .505. He's coming around I hope.

  11. #11
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    On July 26th his OBP was .288. Just for August his line is .394/ .505. He's coming around I hope.

    We can all hope. This year as a whole, there's been no justification for him to bat 3rd. This year he has been an offensive blackhole, and can anyone really refute that he does anything but hurt us defensively?

  12. #12
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Griffey's K

    Much ado about nothing.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  13. #13
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,066

    Re: Griffey's K

    I came off the couch and yelled at the TV. Which I never do any more. I found it inexcusable. But I seriously doubt anything will come of it.

    The sad part is, with the attitude of curent MLB players, I don't think its a big deal. So any fining, warning, etc. would be lost on them.

    But Jr. hasn't run out a ground ball hard in years. I grit my teeth every time he does it. I understand all the leg problems and blah blah, but I don't think running hard is that hard to do.

    But then, I'm a fossil and there are a lot of things ballplayers do now that are accepted that would have gotten them challenged to a fistfight in the dugout in years past. So I just shrug my shoulders and say "the game has changed, let it go Roy".

    Pay attention to the open sky

  14. #14
    REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    771

    Re: Griffey's K

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I came off the couch and yelled at the TV. Which I never do any more. I found it inexcusable. But I seriously doubt anything will come of it.

    The sad part is, with the attitude of curent MLB players, I don't think its a big deal. So any fining, warning, etc. would be lost on them.

    But Jr. hasn't run out a ground ball hard in years. I grit my teeth every time he does it. I understand all the leg problems and blah blah, but I don't think running hard is that hard to do.

    But then, I'm a fossil and there are a lot of things ballplayers do now that are accepted that would have gotten them challenged to a fistfight in the dugout in years past. So I just shrug my shoulders and say "the game has changed, let it go Roy".
    It looked to me as if he thought he made contact, and was upset at the call by the umpire.

  15. #15
    Plays The Right Way Hap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    796.357
    Posts
    1,718

    Re: Griffey's K

    I hate to bring up what-ifs and could-have-beens, but............

    If Peter Edward Rose had been able to clean up his act and had never been banned, he would still be the manager of the Reds. If he were still the manager of the Reds, he would have immediately pulled Griffey from the game and benched him.
    .


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25