Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's YOUR punishment for him?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, that's just Griffey being Griffey

27 31.76%
  • Kangaroo Court fine

23 27.06%
  • 1-day suspension

29 34.12%
  • Other (explain)

6 7.06%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Griffey's K

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Griffey's K

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I came off the couch and yelled at the TV. Which I never do any more. I found it inexcusable. But I seriously doubt anything will come of it.

The sad part is, with the attitude of curent MLB players, I don't think its a big deal. So any fining, warning, etc. would be lost on them.

But Jr. hasn't run out a ground ball hard in years. I grit my teeth every time he does it. I understand all the leg problems and blah blah, but I don't think running hard is that hard to do.

But then, I'm a fossil and there are a lot of things ballplayers do now that are accepted that would have gotten them challenged to a fistfight in the dugout in years past. So I just shrug my shoulders and say "the game has changed, let it go Roy".
    It looked to me as if he thought he made contact, and was upset at the call by the umpire.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate to bring up what-ifs and could-have-beens, but............

If Peter Edward Rose had been able to clean up his act and had never been banned, he would still be the manager of the Reds. If he were still the manager of the Reds, he would have immediately pulled Griffey from the game and benched him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap

If Peter Edward Rose had been able to clean up his act and had never been banned, he would still be the manager of the Reds. If he were still the manager of the Reds, he would have immediately pulled Griffey from the game and benched him.
    Nah he wouldn't Pete has too much respect for the star player to play that stuff out in public.

BTW Roger Maris invented the non-run and in retrospect he's been upgraded to a "gamer' by the same press that kicked him for starting the trend.

I woulda benched him immediately. No player should be treated differently then any other player. Century Team or No Century Team. Matt Belisle was pulled after throwing a ball to his last batter in the previous game. Jerry seems to have the cajones to pull a guy who had the same or less success then he did in the Major Leagues. Jerry might have to find another cliche then "playing the game the right way" pretty soon.

ORG Infidel

He should have run it out, but I do not think it is as big a deal as some are making it. Consider it a symptom of this team's woes.

That was very unprofessional of Griffey not to at least jog that out. Narron should say the same to him. To be quite honest I lost some respect for Griffey for that action. I can't think of any excuse for not at least trying to jog it out. If his legs are in that bad of shape that he is afraid to run out something like that then it's time to retire,IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Hap

not if he had money on the Reds.

How bout we work up a "Number 6" on him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Did any of you see Griffey in the early 90's when he ran into the wall at the Kingdome full speed, caught the ball, and broke his wrist? Or how about the game in 2003 I believe it was, in GABP against the Cubs, when he laid out in centerfield and ripped his shoulder to shreds trying to catch a flyball. Or how about in 2001 when he ripped his hamstring to shreds rounding 3rd hard heading for home. I'd rather have Griffey not running hard to first on a meaingless strike three than running hard and blowing out one of his hamstrings. I understand why a lot of you are upset, and I agree, he should have at least jogged. But the man does not "dog" it on the baseball field, I just will not believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Did any of you see Griffey in the early 90's when he ran into the wall at the Kingdome full speed, caught the ball, and broke his wrist? Or how about the game in 2003 I believe it was, in GABP against the Cubs, when he laid out in centerfield and ripped his shoulder to shreds trying to catch a flyball. Or how about in 2001 when he ripped his hamstring to shreds rounding 3rd hard heading for home. I'd rather have Griffey not running hard to first on a meaingless strike three than running hard and blowing out one of his hamstrings. I understand why a lot of you are upset, and I agree, he should have at least jogged. But the man does not "dog" it on the baseball field, I just will not believe that.
    How about that one time Dante Bichette ran full speed for a flyball, or how about that one time at band camp.....

How can you not believe he is "dogging it" when Griff rarely runs out anything on groundouts, doesn't run aggresively thru the base on singles, etc... What more do you need to see to believe it?

What more do you need to see to believe it?
    His name on the DL?

I see a Hall of Famer on his last legs doing everything he can to preserve his last few years in the majors. THAT'S all that I need to see my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    I see a Hall of Famer on his last legs doing everything he can to preserve his last few years in the majors. THAT'S all that I need to see my friend.
    I see the same thing but like I said if he is that afraid of getting hurt he should retire. IMO you can't play effectively if you are afraid of getting injured.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It's funny how that hammy holds together on those fly balls to the gap.

There was no excuse for not running on that third strike. None.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    It's inexcusable. This organization just continues to enable him. That was an embarassment for anyone who wears that Reds uniform.
    I agree 100%.

If I am sitting on the Reds bench (don't I wish), I am totally embarrassed for the Team and Bob C.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?