Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's YOUR punishment for him?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, that's just Griffey being Griffey

27 31.76%
  • Kangaroo Court fine

23 27.06%
  • 1-day suspension

29 34.12%
  • Other (explain)

6 7.06%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Griffey's K

Griffey's K

Griffey struck out today in the 1st, and the ball rolled all the way to the back stop and Griffey didn't even jog towards first. He flipped his helmet and bat and walked towards first (slowely) while Alfonzo chased down the ball and threw him out.

If you were the manager, what is your punishment?

If you haven't seen it, you can see it on the giants website on the video highlights of Cain striking him out.
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/N...ex.jsp?c_id=sf
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 08-28-2006 at 12:28 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Griffey's K

Good lord quit your hatin'. Check out Griffey's stats in August.

Quote Originally Posted by uks2h
    Good lord quit your hatin'. Check out Griffey's stats in August.
    I'm not hating against his results. I felt like today he threw up a white flag in the 1st inning.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Man, I so wish Narron would grow a backbone and send a message to Griffey and the rest of the team as to what happens if/when you show such a blatant disregard and disrespect to the game as Griffey did today by not running on that passed ball strike 3.

Benching Griffey for a game would actually be a good thing for this team, as he's an offensive blackhole in the 3 slot, and a defensive liability in CF.

I'm so torn between Jr being Jr and the 1 game suspension....

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Man, I so wish Narron would grow a backbone and send a message to Griffey and the rest of the team as to what happens if/when you show such a blatant disregard and disrespect to the game as Griffey did today by not running on that passed ball strike 3.

Benching Griffey for a game would actually be a good thing for this team, as he's an offensive blackhole in the 3 slot, and a defensive liability in CF.

I'm so torn between Jr being Jr and the 1 game suspension....
    He hasn't been a blackhole for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I'm not hating against his results. I felt like today he threw up a white flag in the 1st inning.
    Giants announcers: "and that gets away and Griffey is not going to run"

He should have atleast jogged down to first. Him watching the ball roll to the back stop and not even attempting to run to first doesnt set a good example for the younger players on the team.

He hasn't been a blackhole for a while now.

Including his August stats, for the year he's sporting a .320/.494 line. .814 isn't what I expect out of our starting future HOF CF.

Thankfully, his SLG is somewhat offsetting the most horrendous OBP since his rookie year.

The other alarming trend is that his K:BB ratio is going the wrong way away from his career average.....

Including his August stats, for the year he's sporting a .320/.494 line. .814 isn't what I expect out of our starting future HOF CF.

Thankfully, his SLG is somewhat offsetting the most horrendous OBP since his rookie year.

The other alarming trend is that his K:BB ratio is going the wrong way away from his career average.....
    I know this, by saying, "a while" I meant like the last 20 games he hasn't been a black hole

On July 26th his OBP was .288. Just for August his line is .394/ .505. He's coming around I hope.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    On July 26th his OBP was .288. Just for August his line is .394/ .505. He's coming around I hope.

We can all hope. This year as a whole, there's been no justification for him to bat 3rd. This year he has been an offensive blackhole, and can anyone really refute that he does anything but hurt us defensively?

I know this, by saying, "a while" I meant like the last 20 games he hasn't been a black hole
    Actually it's more like 30, which I agree would classify as "a while".
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

For a Level Playing Field

Nothing should happen to him. This organization allows Junior to not hustle when it seems like an out is gong to be made. This has been the way for the last two seasons... not something that just happened in the 1st inning yesterday.

* Also consider that the man was 28.9% (2 of the 7 total hits) of the offense yesterday.
    * Also consider that no one on the REDS got a basehit after that strikeout until leadoff hitter Ryan Freel singled w/ 2 outs in the 3rd inning. So did it cost the REDS a run(s) or just cost them a bit of pride?

There will be those who blow this way-way-way out of proportion. And then there will be some who see that the play really meant nothing except the REDS are willing to allow this to ensure the man does not go down running while making outs. Really... it is not a big deal.

It's inexcusable. This organization just continues to enable him. That was an embarassment for anyone who wears that Reds uniform.

Much ado about nothing.

I came off the couch and yelled at the TV. Which I never do any more. I found it inexcusable. But I seriously doubt anything will come of it.

The sad part is, with the attitude of curent MLB players, I don't think its a big deal. So any fining, warning, etc. would be lost on them.

But Jr. hasn't run out a ground ball hard in years. I grit my teeth every time he does it. I understand all the leg problems and blah blah, but I don't think running hard is that hard to do.

But then, I'm a fossil and there are a lot of things ballplayers do now that are accepted that would have gotten them challenged to a fistfight in the dugout in years past. So I just shrug my shoulders and say "the game has changed, let it go Roy".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?