Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What's YOUR punishment for him?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, that's just Griffey being Griffey

27 31.76%
  • Kangaroo Court fine

23 27.06%
  • 1-day suspension

29 34.12%
  • Other (explain)

6 7.06%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Griffey's K

Re: Griffey's K

How can you defend Jr???? I really don't care if he gets hurt . We are in a pennant race! This is when teams turn it up. Dunn has to go and so does Jr. There lack of effort and poor defense are killing this team! Their offense doesn't make up for their poor defense!! Freel ... Now thats how you have to play in a pennant race! He hustles treating every game like its the world series, If everyone on the team played like that we would be 10 games up by now but we arent are we!! Narron get some balls!!! Griffey just showed how he doesn't care about the TEAM and only himself!! Trust me Dunn isn't hitting any better than a healthy Deno would Grrrr I get so pissed at people defending this old , worthless, selfish player...

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really don't care if he gets hurt . We are in a pennant race!
    Logic abounds!!!

Now see, it's posts like that that get under my skin. Griffey is not above criticism, I have no problem with people calling him out if he makes a mistake. But downright trashing the guy is just wrong. People that do that are bitter because his time here in Cincy hasn't worked out. Am I upset over that? Of course. But it's NOT his fault, so get off of it. Griffey thought he fouled the ball off. And even if he didn't think that, I hardly think him sprinting to first base to try and beat out a strike three is the difference between this team winning and losing. He would have been thrown out anyways, so what's the point in running! I understand the frustration of a lot of you, but the "I don't care if he gets hurt, I hate him!" arguments are getting old. It's one thing to make an argument, as many on here do, but it's another thing to sound like a ticked off middle schooler using language that shouldn't be anywhere on this board.

Then at some point, you'll never see anything wrong from Griffey.

Giving excuses for not running out grounders, sprinting for flyballs, etc..is to just save his legs for a few more years.

How about his (and Dunn's) utter refusal to shorten up the strokes, especially with 2 strikes, and try to go the other way with the ball instead of stubbornly trying to hit the ball thru the extreme shifts? I'd tend to call that rather selfish to not try to sacfrice some power to start generating some OBP while extending the defense a bit more.

That's not true. I've busted Griffey's chops before, and I'll do it again when the time calls. And as far as shortening up the stroke, I agree completely on that. I'm not going to argue that. Griffey and Dunn are the two guys who SHOULD be carrying us, but the gritty guys like Freel and Hatteberg are the only reason we're still in this race. Griffey has been playing better in August, but not up to his standards, and I'd rather not even talk about Dunn right now, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Griffey thought he fouled the ball off. And even if he didn't think that, I hardly think him sprinting to first base to try and beat out a strike three is the difference between this team winning and losing. He would have been thrown out anyways, so what's the point in running!
    Personally, I've never seen a guy foul off a 2-strike pitch with a swing, then toss their bat and helmet to the dugout and walk away. Maybe in some softball leagues that is an out.

Also, I don't know if I've ever seen someone get thrown out on a drop 3-k when the ball goes all the way to the backstop.

3rd, all I wanted was a jog, not a complete giveup.

but the gritty guys like Freel and Hatteberg are the only reason we're still in this race.
    19 win shares for Dunn says you're off a bit, 8 for Griffey and 13 and 11 for Hatteberg and Freel say you're on to part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    19 win shares for Dunn says you're off a bit, 8 for Griffey and 13 and 11 for Hatteberg and Freel say you're on to part of the reason.
    All I need to know about Bill James is that he has two first names. I mean, what's up with that? Plus he wrote moneyball and we know that's a bunch on new jack bunk.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I already stated in a previous post that I would have at least liked to see Griffey jog down to first. I just think people are making too big of a deal out of it. If we had won the game, and people weren't thinking our season was going down the tubes, then it would hardly be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    All I need to know about Bill James is that he has two first names. ... Plus he wrote moneyball
    I guess you didn't read that one.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnboy33
    How can you defend Jr???? I really don't care if he gets hurt . We are in a pennant race! This is when teams turn it up. Dunn has to go and so does Jr. There lack of effort and poor defense are killing this team! Their offense doesn't make up for their poor defense!! Freel ... Now thats how you have to play in a pennant race! He hustles treating every game like its the world series, If everyone on the team played like that we would be 10 games up by now but we arent are we!! Narron get some balls!!! Griffey just showed how he doesn't care about the TEAM and only himself!! Trust me Dunn isn't hitting any better than a healthy Deno would Grrrr I get so pissed at people defending this old , worthless, selfish player...
    You'd rather have 3 Freels in the lineup than Jr. or Dunn? Deno would hit better than Dunn? As good of a season as Deno's having in AAA it's still not better than the season Dunn is having in the MLB.

Freel ... Now thats how you have to play in a pennant race! He hustles treating every game like its the world series, If everyone on the team played like that we would be 10 games up by now but we arent are we!!
    Really? Here are his numbers during August (the height of the pennant race so far) .223/.330/.277 if everyone on the team produced like that I'm not sure we'd be within 10 games of the playoffs let alone 10 games up. Here are the "worthless, selfish player's" numbers during August: .305/.394/.505. I love Freel's hustle and defense as much as anyone but well I think the numbers prove my point.

I also agree with those who think Jr. thought he fouled it off, I thought he fouled it off, and by the time he realized the ump called strike three the catcher was almost on the ball. If he could have gotten on base it would have been great but I don't think it means he's worthless and selfish.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Personally, I've never seen a guy foul off a 2-strike pitch with a swing, then toss their bat and helmet to the dugout and walk away. Maybe in some softball leagues that is an out.

Also, I don't know if I've ever seen someone get thrown out on a drop 3-k when the ball goes all the way to the backstop.

3rd, all I wanted was a jog, not a complete giveup.
    Maybe you're right about the not fouling it off part, but SF's backstop looks very short and the ball bounced back toward the catcher. I think Ichiro may have had a shot to beat it out to first but not Jr. And if he did know that he missed it yeah I would have also liked to see him jog it out.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 08-28-2006 at 12:55 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

A public flogging of Griffey by Ryan Freel.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B
    Maybe you're right about the not fouling it off part, but SF's backstop looks very short and the ball bounced back toward the catcher. I think Ichiro may have had a shot to beat it out to first but not Jr. And if he did know that he missed it yeah I would have also liked to see him jog it out.
    48 feet, perhaps the shortest in the NL, I checked and aside from Citzens and New Busch (which weren't listed) AT&T is the shortest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I guess you didn't read that one.
    what do you know? You're avatar is wearing a funny hat. he can't be trusted!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?