Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Dissapointing Baseball Moment

Most Dissapointing Baseball Moment

Baseball is usually a place of great enjoyment, however, from time to time we are let down and disspointed by our favorite pastime. From all of baseball history, what moment in time or event did you find most dissapointing?

Some possible examples:
    Could be a heart-breaker loss?
    A team colapsing and falling out of the race?
    The player strikes?
    Pete Rose scandal?
    A player/ump passing away?

Those are just examples, there are certinally many more dissapointing moments in baseball to chose from.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-28-2006 at 10:50 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most Dissapointing Baseball Moment

I'm in a toss up between:

Pete Rose: A hero from my youth. I was so excited when he came back but was so let down when his personal failings were announced. I'm not so nieve to think ballplayers are all virtious but Rose was an idol from my childhood so he had a little "extra" shine than other boyhood heros. That shine wore off real quick once everything came to light.

Bill Buckner: When that ball rolled between his legs in game 6 I knew the Red Sox were done for. I was born in Plymouth, Mass so I was always a Red Sox fan growing up, even though I had no other connection other than they were from the same area. Anyway, I was really excited when they made the world series. They had to wait another 15+ years for their "time" and by then I didn't really care about the Red Sox anymore.

The 1981 Cincinnati Reds, the team with the best overall record in MLB, not qualifying for the postseason.

The trade of Tony Perez to the Montreal Expos following the 1976 season.

Pete Rose signing as a free agent with the Phillies following the 1978 season.

The firing of Sparky Anderson following the 1978 season.

The 61-101 season of 1982, and all the trades that didn't work out.

The cancellation of the 1994 season with the Reds headed to the World Series.

The death of the Reds-Dodgers rivalry when the realignment was done in 1994.

The introduction of black road uniforms for the Reds in 1999.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    The trade of Tony Perez to the Montreal Expos following the 1976 season.

There's mine...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I was 11 years old, sitting between my dad and my grandfather, 7 rows from the top of the red seats, during the 7th game of the 1972 World Series. Joe Rudi made a fantastic, unbelievable catch, up against the LF wall, late in the game, and the Reds lost the game 3-2 and the Series, 4 games to 3. I was totally devastated, and have despised Gene Tenace to this day
    Last edited by Always Red; 08-28-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    sorry we're boring

Oakland A's beating the Tigers in the 1972 Playoffs.

Watching Johnny Bench play 3rd Base.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    The cancellation of the 1994 season with the Reds headed to the World Series.
    I had tickets for Reds-Rockies series in Denver on the day the strike began. Very sad, but I had a great trip anyway.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The Reds-Brewers series at the end of 1999. Take 2 of 3, we win the division. Instead we lose 2 of 3, end up battling the Mets for the Wild Card, and losing. Ouch.

This would probably better belong in a thread about disappointments that occurred "at a baseball game," but watching John McSherry die behind home plate six pitches into Opening Day in 1996 was a positively awful moment in my life. I guess that qualifies as 'disappointing' as well.

Sorry about downing the topic, but it is the first thing that came to my mind.

Reggie Sanders' performance vs. the Braves in the 1995 playoffs.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Ex-Tree

1999. Al "Freaking" Leiter.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

My own personal (senior year of high school) disappointment was losing a high school sectional final 3-2 in nine innings (seven innings regulation) to a team we had beaten 12-3 during the regular season.

We had our best pitcher versus their best pitcher and we had both managed to squeak across two runs. They had the final at bat and they managed to get a runner to second base with two outs. They got a base hit to left field and our left fielder, who had the strongest arm on the team, fired the ball towards home plate well ahead of the runner. The only problem was the throw was fifteen or twenty feet over the catcher's head and the run scored easily.

My high school baseball career ended with me standing in right field watching the arc of the ball sail towards the clouds and me screaming the f-bomb.

Barry Bonds breaking any record. It pains me to see him accomplish the things he has done in recent years and know that he has cheated. The sad part is you could just about make a case for his HOF credintials before 1999. The really sad part is that people are going to jail because of him and I doubt he 's lost a moment's sleep about it. Really the whole steroids thing. When the Giles brothers and the Andy Pettitte's of the world are having seasons now that a few years back you couldn't imagine them having that is just depressing beyond words.

The trade of Perez. Took about two years to like the Reds again after that.

Ron Robinson's almost perfect game. I was stayed up watching it. I was like 8 years old. I remember almost crying over it.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?