4 QS out of 14 GS = 29%

Harang
    14 QS out of 27 GS = 50%

Milton
    13 QS out of 22 GS = 59%

Ramirez
    11 QS out of 19 GS = 58%

I found this pretty interesting.
    Last edited by Red Rover; 08-28-2006 at 03:04 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Starting Pitching and Qualtity Starts

Arroyo's QS% was phenomenal until he hit the wall trying to win #10. IIRC, had something like 5 QS in his 11 tries.

I would have thought Harang's would have been higher.

Yes, I also thought Harang would of had more QS. He is very lucky to have 13 wins with only 13 QS.

Another interesting note is if Milton's next outing is a QS he will have the highest percentage of QS on the Reds staff.

look at all the lost time with claussen, amazing the guy gets worse every year

I am really surprised with Harang's percentage. I figured he would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 65%. The rest I don't find too surprising.

If anything I think this shows how this stat is of little use. Quality Start is just a meaningless term to me.

I agree, Danny. It can be misleading.

6 IP with 3 ER or less is the minimum requirement for a Quality Start. That's a 4.50 ERA. 8 IP with 4 ER gives you the same ERA, but is not a Quality Start.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I agree, Danny. It can be misleading.

6 IP with 3 ER or less is the minimum requirement for a Quality Start. That's a 4.50 ERA. 8 IP with 4 ER gives you the same ERA, but is not a Quality Start.
    Throw in EZ getting no run support in a number of his starts and the bullpen blowing up and destroying a fair number of these QS you end up with a pretty useless stat.

I guess it's a good sort of "generalized" stat but as far as any real analysis I don't see it being worth much.

I agree that a QS is a poor stat, in design and evaluating. I just found it interesting that Harang, many feel our Ace, only throws a qualtity start 1/2 the time.

How has Lohse done so far??? Just think if he would have been here all season and what it could have done, or maybe he would have hit the wall like Arroyo did.

This is a flawed stat, but if you get to the 7th with the other team only having 3 runs, you have given your team a chance to win. Winning is the goal? Right?

The Quality Start stat is hard on the heels of the Win stat for abject inutility.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?