Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Putting a dog "to sleep"

Re: Putting a dog "to sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    My still beautiful, white and tawny-colored Shih-Tzu, Sasha, is 15 yrs. old. She has recently been diagnosed by our James Herriott w/ a squamous-cell carcinoma in her eye. He cautioned against surgery, which would probably require her eye be removed, since he didn't want us to have to pay for a surgery and then have her put to sleep a month or so later.

We're taking it day by day now. As long as she isn't in pain or suffering, we're going to wait..I'm already crying frequently, just thinking about it. Her best friend, Theo, another Shih-Tzu, died in my husband's lap about 4 yrs. ago. It's really hard.
    You may want to get another opinion on your dog. SCC is normally not metastatic unless it is in the mouth. Surgical removal will usually cure the disease. As long as your dog is otherwise healthy, I would recommend a set of Xrays to check for metastasis and then removing the tumor if no mets are seen.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I don't even own a dog and this thread has me reaching for the tissues. The last dog I had back in the late 80s got hit by a car and killed. That was pretty rough. I had a couple cats for a few years that I had to give to a friend when I got married and moved back in 2001. That was hard enough parting with them and they were still alive.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    You may want to get another opinion on your dog. SCC is normally not metastatic unless it is in the mouth. Surgical removal will usually cure the disease. As long as your dog is otherwise healthy, I would recommend a set of Xrays to check for metastasis and then removing the tumor if no mets are seen.
    The vet seemed to be concerned about the effect of the anesthetic on her, since she has had a minor stroke or two, evidently (some mornings she is disoriented, can't walk straight). Also, she has cataracts, and sees very little, and is almost totally deaf. She has a good appetite, though, and has definitely not lost any weight and is able to get around fine in familiar surroundings.

He also thought they might end up having to remove the eye, since it is directly on it. We thought that might be very traumatic for her.

Not sure. Thanks for input.
    teach tolerance.

Well, we put Scamper to sleep this evening. He had quit eating this week and his energy had ebbed away. When we got to the vet he just wagged his tail while looking at myself and my wife. It ripped my heart as his life slipped away. It hurts.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear that, Richardo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    Well, we put Scamper to sleep this evening. He had quit eating this week and his energy had ebbed away. When we got to the vet he just wagged his tail while looking at myself and my wife. It ripped my heart as his life slipped away. It hurts.
    That really sucks man and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure scamper knew how much you loved him. Animals are very perceptive and know when they are being loved. I'm sorry that it's hurting.

I never seem to have the right words. Just know that I feal for you.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Sorry,man.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Sorry,man.
    Ditto here Ricardo.

Ricardo, you have my deepest sympathy. Take solice in the fact that you did what was best.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers

I read this on another site, which basically said this:
    When dogs die, they go to a giant pasture, where they are free to roam and play with other dogs in the pasture. But, that is only where they go temporarily, but it is only temporary.
    When we die, we also go to that pasture, where our dogs are waiting for us, allowing us to spend time together for eternity.

Very sorry to hear that, Ricardo. I hope time can heal the hurt.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I thought I could pitch in a little bit. Just yesterday I noticed that my dog was having a little trouble walking. As the day went on it seemed to get considerably worse. I ended up taking him to a 24 hour care facility last night and received the news everyone dreads.

It turns out that he was starting to have congestive heart failure and was having trouble breathing. So last night we had to put my dog of 12 years to sleep.

As much as you try, there is never enough time to fully prepare you for letting go of something that has been a major part of your life for so long. In my case it was half of my life. That was the first time I have had to go through that and I feel the pain for people who have had it happen to them on more than 1 occasion.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Sorry to hear that my friend.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?