Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valentin signs extension for 2007, club option for '08

Re: Valentin signs extension for 2007, club option for '08

Valentin is a better option than LaRue for the reason that he is a switch hitter. FLo was, but obviously he isn't with the team anymore. Javy is now the only switcher we have, which makes him more valuable. No matter what, you can't argue that LaRue is worth his 5.5 million tag next year. Only Jason Varitek (not this year, however), Jorge Posada and Joe Mauer are worth that much...not Jason LaRue

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't think Jason Larue has had much of anything to do with the Reds winning or losing this season. Non-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BoCcc2832
    Valentin is a better option than LaRue for the reason that he is a switch hitter. FLo was, but obviously he isn't with the team anymore. Javy is now the only switcher we have, which makes him more valuable. No matter what, you can't argue that LaRue is worth his 5.5 million tag next year. Only Jason Varitek (not this year, however), Jorge Posada and Joe Mauer are worth that much...not Jason LaRue

You do realize that over the last three years Javy's OPS as a RHB is .471?

That is not a mistype. .471.

He has NO VALUE against LHP.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Re: Valentin brought back next year

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    Has Ross had asny experience at first base? If so, it could keep his bat in the lineup.
    That might complicate things with the recent contract extension for our current First Baseman in Hatteberg. Although...Say, Hatteberg can catch, right? Hey--I say they just switch positions for farts and giggles.

Problem solved.

Epic move, frankjly cataclysmic, balance of power has clearly shifted, reverberation felt in the Ross Sea

Re: Valentin brought back next year

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon
    It's a difficult situation.. Javy's best role on the team this year has been as a PH and unless we have 3 catchers we can't really use him as a PH all the time because we need to save a backup catcher just in case (unless we decide to completely throw that strategy out the window)
    Good post. Javy is still the best LH bat off the bench, unless Hatteburg doesn't start. I suppose Hatteburg could be considered an emergency option at Catcher. Have to have a back-up for Ross. Sounds like the Reds brass are sold on Ross as the starter, or at least Narron is for the rest of this year according to a Reds.com article this morning.

I think everyone make too big a deal out of carrying three catchers.

Valentin is this years Jacob Cruz. And I think it;s better to carry a PH who can catch than one who is an awful OF and 1st baseman. Really, what difference does it make?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I think everyone make too big a deal out of carrying three catchers.

Valentin is this years Jacob Cruz. And I think it;s better to carry a PH who can catch than one who is an awful OF and 1st baseman. Really, what difference does it make?
    I've been thinking this all year.

Gary Redus Ruled

Javys whiffed in two recent ph at bats in crucial points of crucial games. If he's our best pinch hitter we have no one. He had to at least make contact and couldnt. I think we overpaid for him. I wouldnt have minded him and Larue departing next year and bringing in someone new behind Ross but what the hell do I know?
    Hoping for another Reds October

Quote Originally Posted by Redus View Post
    Javys whiffed in two recent ph at bats in crucial points of crucial games. If he's our best pinch hitter we have no one. He had to at least make contact and couldnt. I think we overpaid for him. I wouldnt have minded him and Larue departing next year and bringing in someone new behind Ross but what the hell do I know?
    Have they listed the financials? The orginal announcement didn't include the contract amount.

If someone is willing to pay for David Ross' career year, I would hope the Reds would listen. I don't like carrying 3 catchers, especially when your regular 1b is a coverted catcher. Javy is our best pinch hitter largely due to the fact that we have 2 catchers and 2 no-hit middle infielders on our bench most nights. LaRue is likely unmovable and, IMO, is just as likely to bounce back next year as Ross is to repeat this year's performance. According to Vin Scully, Ross is eligible for arbitration. I'm not sure how big a bump in salary he's going to get, but I wouldn't want to be on the Reds side of that hearing.

So if Ross can be dealt in the offseason immediate or near-term MI, CF or pitching help, I say do it.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I agree with the general "sell high" theory, and also agree that Ross is not likely to repeat this performance.

I also think we're stuck with LaRue; he's unmoveable right now, unless you just want to throw him away. Last year was also a career year for LaRue, and the Reds paid dearly for that. He also led the league in % of swings and misses last year, in his career year, with 25%, so seeing him struggle is not really that much of a surprise?

Hatte would be a decent emergency catcher; I don't think he can be a #2 anymore because he's had some arm issues.

I'd be more willing to trade Ross if I knew there were a good young catching prospect in AAA or AA. But ti doesn't sound as if there is.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?