Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Box 360 question

X-Box 360 question

Ok folks, I'm old, I shouldn't play video games anymore, but I can't help myself. I want one of those fancy pants new [ish] X Box 360's. My question is though, which version?

I've seen this bundle and that bundle, but I'm just wondering what the major differences are between the Core system and the Platinum [?] edition. IE the 300$ version and the 400$ version.

All I really care much about is getting to play Madden online with my brother in law and being able to save a game when I do. Is the 300$ version capable of these things? Is the 400$ versions main feature the ability to play older X-Box games?

What can you fine folks suggest to me as far as deciding between the two.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: X-Box 360 question

Spend the extra money. It comes with everything you need. The cheaper version isn't expandable to the capability of the platinum bundle, so you're really leaving yourself short-sided.

It seems like if you are going the way of 360 that the $400 version is worth the extra $100.

I, myself, am waiting for the PS3. A lot of the stuff I have been reading on it has been pretty sick.

I have the $400 version and that is the one I would recommend. Even to just play regular XBOX titles.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible
    A lot of the stuff I have been reading on it has been pretty sick.
    Like the price of the PS3...

The $400 version of the 360 is the way to go. You can easilly spend more than the $100 difference for the accessories that come in the more expensive version.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I think the extra stuff comes to like 170 bucks if bought separately.

Go with the 400 buck version; the HD alone is worth the extra bucks.

My son has a regular X Box. He has an X Box wireless account. Before we moved into our new home I had a wired ethernet cable running from my computer to his X Box; but I really can't do that in our new home. What is the best way (and also most economical) to go wireless? I currently have a Linksys wireless G broadband router and wireless network setup in my house.

Will this Linksys adapter allow the setup for his Xbox?

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11B...622528?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by GAC; 08-29-2006 at 08:55 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Get the premium bundle. The hard drive alone is worth every penny. Also, buy the Microsoft extended warranty! I've had no problems with my 360 but others have. MS will let you extend their warranty for as long as you own your box, and the two people with it I know who've had a malfunction received fast, superb customer service. Well worth it imo.

go outside !!

Thanks for the input guys. While go outside is probably the best option, I think I'll go with the pro package, or whatever its called, instead of the core one.

GAC, obviously I have no clue, but I'd be anxious to find the answer so I can do the same to mine.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

You have to buy the $99.00 wireless adapter which plugs into the ethernet port on the back of the Xbox (or Xbox 360). Then you can add it to your home wireless network and get LIVE.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You have to buy the $99.00 wireless adapter which plugs into the ethernet port on the back of the Xbox (or Xbox 360). Then you can add it to your home wireless network and get LIVE.
    Be warned that the Xbox Wireless adapter does not support WPA encyrption. I'm still trying to find the best solution for WPA encryption for a wireless adapter for an XBox.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Be warned that the Xbox Wireless adapter does not support WPA encyrption. I'm still trying to find the best solution for WPA encryption for a wireless adapter for an XBox.
    What's really scary is running an automatic scan for access points in an apartment building. When I was configuring my wireless network I found four routers totally unencrypted--not even WAP! What are people thinking?

So you're basically saying the wireless Linksys adapter link I posted above won't do the job, and the standard Xbox wireless adpater won't work with WPA encryption?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Mine worked with WPA encryption fine (both X-Box and X-Box 360). I think that might have been an issue with the earliest models...

you could check fairly easily on your X-Box Live settings. You should be able to see everything you need through set-up options available off-line.

Even then, I'd check with someone at Best Buy b/c I would almost guarantee that that's the type of thing Microsoft would have produced a patch or downloadable version that fixed the issue through X-Box Live to be downloaded automatically or something.

Turn Off Ads?