Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Favorite Brand of Power Tools

Favorite Brand of Power Tools

What is your favorite brand of power tools?

Or do you mix-and-match depending on task, quality of tool and price?

Or do you even own any power tools?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite Brand of Power Tools

Not a completely informed, expert reply, but I kinda like Ridgid. My mitre saw is Ridgid and I'd love to be able to justify a table saw.

My cordless drill (most used device) is Porter Cable. My air nailer is also Porter Cable. My electric hammer drill is DeWalt. Rest of the stuff is Black & Decker (sander) or Craftsman (circular saw, reciprocating saw, & jig saw).
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I'm tempted, but I'll refrain.

"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Retired

I mix and match. I like DeWalt for drills, I've got some Porter Cable and Makita stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey

I'm a mix-and-match guy.

Ryobi miter saw, Craftsman drill press, Delta table saw (crappy but it does the job), Ridgid orbital sander, Milwaukee sawz-all, BD cordless drill, BD jig saw, Skill router & table.

For quality you must go with Metabo. Pros know that they are the longest lasting, highest quality. Very Pricey.

I like Milwaukee next.

Porter Cable and Bosch are next.

Dewalt stuff is pretty crappy unless you buy the industrial quality stuff, which is very expensive.

Craftsman, Black and Decker, Ryobi, Cummins, and the like are really only for weekend warriors who use the products for light projects around the typical home.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey

must have one of those "electric ear cleaners"

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    For quality you must go with Metabo. Pros know that they are the longest lasting, highest quality. Very Pricey.

I like Milwaukee next.

Porter Cable and Bosch are next.

Dewalt stuff is pretty crappy unless you buy the industrial quality stuff, which is very expensive.

Craftsman, Black and Decker, Ryobi, Cummins, and the like are really only for weekend warriors who use the products for light projects around the typical home.

I had those general impressions from very limited experience and a lot of heresay. I am definitely on teh weekend warrior side of things now that we are not extensively remodeling anymore, but in general still like to get quality stuff when I do get things, especially items I know I will use hard.

Where do you see Ridgid in this picture, LoganBuck?
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Truthfully, I have never used Ridgid. So I don't know other then what I have heard. They stock Ridgid at Lowes, so in general I would guess it would be compareable to similarly priced products, but I don't know. With power tools you typically get what you pay for.

I forgot Makita, for I would put it on par with with Porter Cable and Bosch especially for the cordless tools. I have a Makita drill that is approx 10 years old, and on my farm it is used alot, and sometimes pretty hard. I am very pleased. Don't know much about the rest of their line, but their cordless stuff is good.

My brother in law, is a contractor that builds homes, he swears buy Milwaukee.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm not a big power tool user. I have a Skil circular saw and another saw and drill that are both Black and Decker. As little as I use them, I'm mostly interested in something that will be reliable for a good price. I don't know much about the different brands and will seek the advice of the folks at the hardware stores when I need to make a purchase.

I have some Delta stuff from back when they were made in America (10-15 years ago). Good stuff.

Jet and Porter Cable are good as well.

Although I've heard that Delta + Porter Cable have been bought by Black + Decker, so I expect their quality to go downhill in an attempt to improve margins. I hate it when a good brand gets bought out by a company which cheapens the quality, eventually killing the brand.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?