Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MNF: The Return of Carson Palmer

Re: MNF: The Return of Carson Palmer

I'm not sure I could have been happier to be wrong.
    That was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As I said, Wayne has a buttload of ground to cover if he wants to catch the hearts of the fans of Cincinnati. Best I can tell, Marvin Lewis has the monopoly.

(Though letting Homer come up and win 5 straight starts to put the Reds in the playoffs for the first time in 11 years couldn't hurt.)
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm not ready to clear a place for the Lombardi just yet. It was pre-season and the Packers look like an awful awful football team. BUT, that was a very impressive performance from the entire team.

Carson looked to be in midseason form and his timing with the receivers was spot-on. That little scramble he had where TJ broke off his route and went upfield for a sweet little touch pass from Carson was a thing of beauty...I think that was against Woodson too. Not a lot of balls thrown Chad's way, though. That certainly will change on September 10.

The defense looks to be very much improved. In my estimation, the D doesn't have to be great for this team to succeed, just good. If the offense can click and put points on the board early the defense is put in a great position with the other team having to play from behind.

Other than one muffed kick-off, I thought Shayne Graham looked awesome. If he's not the best kicker in the league he's close...top five, no doubt.

Another observation from the game with a RedsZone slant. I think it was in the third quarter that they put a nice promo on the big screens about the Reds being in a pennant race and that they are coming home on September 4 urging everyone to come to the park and support the Reds. It ended with the Reds and Bengals logos and "Whodey!" and "Go Reds!" displayed. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    Another observation from the game with a RedsZone slant. I think it was in the third quarter that they put a nice promo on the big screens about the Reds being in a pennant race and that they are coming home on September 4 urging everyone to come to the park and support the Reds. It ended with the Reds and Bengals logos and "Whodey!" and "Go Reds!" displayed. It nearly brought a tear to my eye.
    I thought that was great to see last night. For a lot of years the teams really never acknowledged each other. It seems like this year the support is starting to show between the 2 teams. Earlier this summer Marvin took the entire team to GABP to take batting practice and visit the Reds. It was great to see the Bengals wish the Reds luck and encourage people to come to the next home stand.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I thought that was great to see last night. For a lot of years the teams really never acknowledged each other. It seems like this year the support is starting to show between the 2 teams. Earlier this summer Marvin took the entire team to GABP to take batting practice and visit the Reds. It was great to see the Bengals wish the Reds luck and encourage people to come to the next home stand.
    Marty even had good things to say about the Bengals, particularly Carson, during last night's Reds broadcast. That's coming a long way for him, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Marty even had good things to say about the Bengals, particularly Carson, during last night's Reds broadcast. That's coming a long way for him, I would imagine.
    I recall once while listening to Marty & Joe when they received a complaint from a Browns fan the day before an early season Bengals-Browns game saying that they (Marty & Joe) had a decided Bengals slant and that there were a lot of Browns fans that were Reds fans as well. The guy took offense to this. Marty "apologized" and acknowledged the fact that there were a lot of Browns fans who were also Reds fans and followed it up by saying something to the effect that he hoped the Bengals kicked the Browns' tails the next day. Joe quickly agreed. Good times.

The Enquirer has a picture of GABP with the lights on during the game last night.

The scoreboard had Bengals logos on it and said "Who Dey!"

Great to see.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The Enquirer has a picture of GABP with the lights on during the game last night.

Great to see.
    Attachment 3992
    That is fabulous! Great to see the teams support each other for a change. I remember the Monday night game a few years back with Denver. Uncle Carl refused to turn the lights on at the GABP.
    Last edited by BuckWoody; 09-18-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Great to see.
    I was driving through downtown last night around 8 and was wondering why GABP was all lit up. Now I know. That's great.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

This type of acknowledgement was to expensive for Carl Lindner. Rember the Monday Night game last vs the Broncos?

GABP looked like a hole in the ground in the Blimp cam, and the Reds explanation that they didn't want to fork out the money to keep the lights on.

It's good to see a unity between the two franchises in the city. It's not competition, and it really shouldn't be. Both franchise's can be and should be good for this city.

There's always a debate if this is a baseball town or a football town....why can't it be both?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-29-2006 at 08:38 PM.

It can indeed be both, esp. since the seasons only overlap for 4-6 weeks and football is one game per week. Just like football and basketball can and has coexisted at Ohio State.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    There's always a debate if this is a baseball town or a football town....why can't it be both?
    It can, but right now it's squarely a football town.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It can, but right now it's squarely a football town.
    I won't disagree with that...the Bengals have earned it.

The Reds seem to be heading in the right direction, but still have quite a bit to prove.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-29-2006 at 08:52 PM.

Turn Off Ads?