Turn Off Ads?

Thread: a possibility that Smoltz wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get him?

a possibility that Smoltz wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get him?

per mlbtraderumers.com

Smoltz Could Leave Braves
    It seems like every couple of years, the Braves go through contract negotations with John Smoltz. He's been a Brave for all these years, it just seems inevitable that they'll work something out. However, a recent quote from Smoltz makes this offseason sound a little different:

All I know is, after these last two years and with my desire to work out, I've got two or three more years, easy. I used to always be of the mind-set that if it's not here, it won't be anywhere else. But that's not the case any more. I'll pitch somewhere else.

Smoltz, 39, is having a Cy Young caliber season. He's got a 3.36 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 8.3 K/9 in 190 innings. Shortly after the World Series, the Braves need to decide if he's worth $8MM for 2007.

Smoltz received a four-year deal worth $31MM in November of 1996 following his Cy Young season. He became baseball's highest-paid pitcher at the time. The results of the contract were 90 starts, one Tommy John surgery, and one season as closer. His next multiyear deal was three years and $30 mil, with a club option as well. He signed his current extension in December of 2004; it included a $6MM signing bonus to bring the average annual value to $9.3MM assuming the option is exercised.

That option, by the way, is a no-brainer. Smoltz is worth $7.4MM next year according to Baseball Prospectus. They project his value at just $11.5MM over the 2008-10 seasons, however. The smart business move may be to just exercise the option and leave it at that. That could result in a midsummer deal. Smoltz's former team, the Tigers, could have interest if he's ever available. Smoltz hails from Warren, Michigan and grew up in the Tigers' system.

One thing that could maybe turn a few teams off: some comments Smoltz made a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to find out if he's amended or clarified since. And honestly most teams would probably ignore it the way they ignore DUIs and stuff like that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: a possibility that Smoltze wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get him?

Ok, what comments did he make a few years ago? What PC group did he offend?

Of course the Braves are going to exercise his option for next year. They'd be idiots not to.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Re: a possibility that Smoltze wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get him?

What PC group did he offend?
    Smoltz, in 2004 likened gay marriage to “marrying an animal.”

PC or not, it just sounds stupid.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

It definitely does not sound smart. But we all know the pro sports unwritten rule... the heck with PC if you can help a team win games. No matter the sport. 3.36 ERA, 1.12 WHIP... that is a winner. He'll be back in a Braves uniform.

I wonder the feelings of RZ on the average "smartness" of a MLB player. Below average, average, above average? Personally I have never thought the average MLB player is real smart. Most probably do not have a lot of real education on their resumes. More of them these days went to college than the old days, but how hard did they study (w/ pro ball in their future)? Of course you do not have to be educated to be intelligent (although it can help). Nothing scientific... not a putdown... just an opinion. And when it comes to things PC, I'd guess that pro athletes might be less inclined to be PC. Maybe it is the "lockerroom life" they live.

JS is smart, but he's also very religious... that plays into his comment, recently he played a big part in an event in Turner Field that didn't have anything to do with baseball.. he gave his testimony at "Faith Day" IIRC.

Anyway, he lives in a gated community in Northern Atlanta so I don't get the vibe he goes to Decatur or Midtown too much.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The Rockies or Astros will pick him up.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Re: a possibility that Smoltze wont be back with the Braves!!! Think BOB would get hi

He'll be back in Atlanta or sign with Detroit. I think he's just trying the get the Braves to commit to a longer deal. The Reds have zero chance.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Ok, thanks.. I was curious.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Rogers and Smoltz in the same rotation.

The Tigers Management/Ownership might want to take stock in geritol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

I wonder the feelings of RZ on the average "smartness" of a MLB player. Below average, average, above average? Personally I have never thought the average MLB player is real smart. Most probably do not have a lot of real education on their resumes. More of them these days went to college than the old days, but how hard did they study (w/ pro ball in their future)? Of course you do not have to be educated to be intelligent (although it can help). Nothing scientific... not a putdown... just an opinion. And when it comes to things PC, I'd guess that pro athletes might be less inclined to be PC. Maybe it is the "lockerroom life" they live.
    My guess is that most of them grew up in environments that didn't really value intelligence or an education as much as athletic prowess.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I would be a dollar to a doughnut that he is wearing that Braves uniform again next season.

Turn Off Ads?