Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of HRs bigger issue than OBP, Baker says

Lack of HRs bigger issue than OBP, Baker says

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=220241

By John Lemon
    Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Friday, August 25, 2006

With the Cubs falling so far out of the playoff race early this season, it has given all the want-to-be general managers plenty of time to figure out how to fix the team for 2007.

Sign free agents Barry Zito and Carlos Lee. Decide how much you can count on Mark Prior. Determine which of the Cubs’ young arms and outfielders will stay.

One area the Cubs appear to be lacking is their on-base percentage. At .318 for the year, the Cubs are last in the National League by a wide margin and ahead of only Tampa Bay (.314) in the majors.

Manager Dusty Baker took his turn addressing the team’s problems Thursday, and he didn’t seem too worried about the lack of baserunners.

“On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage,” Baker said. “On-base percentage just to clog up the bases isn’t that great to me.”

Baker’s focus would be improving the team’s power. The Cubs are tied for 10th in the NL with 124 home runs.

“I think the problem we have to address as much as anything is the home run problem,” Baker said. “They have out-homered us 2-1 in our own ballpark. That’s the bigger problem.”
    The Cubs currently rank 29th out of 30 MLB teams with a .317 OBP. I don't think Dusty needs to worry about his team clogging the bases with runners.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lack of HRs bigger issue than OBP, Baker says

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=220241

The Cubs currently rank 29th out of 30 MLB teams with a .317 OBP. I don't think Dusty needs to worry about his team clogging the bases with runners.
    Haha, great post. Dusty doesn't have much of a clue.

I think Dusty should focus on getting more pitches out of his starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

On base percentage clogging up the bases? ROFL...Now that's freakin' funny.Surely you'd want nobody on with any extra dongs you might hit. Does Dusty say something stupid everytime he opens his trap,or does it just seem that way?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Narron isn't the only manager who says stupid #^%# to the press?

No way .

It sure would be a shame if the Cubbies let him get away.

I'm with Dusty. That's why I only ever keep $2 of gasoline in my car. Don't want all that fuel clogging up my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by NDRed
    It sure would be a shame if the Cubbies let him get away.
    I know, I love him and Lloyd Carr. Just plane bad for their teams.

Hmn...

Dusty Baker doesn't know how to protect his pitchers.

Dusty Baker hasn't a clue as to how offense really works.

I'm not sure the latter realization is anything new. The former certainly isn't Combined, that's a death knell for most MLB managers. Further combined with his additional stupidity (which is a topic for another board), and he's the one guy who shouldn't be holding a position anywhere at any time for a Major League franchise.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    On base percentage clogging up the bases? ROFL...Now that's freakin' funny.Surely you'd want nobody on with any extra dongs you might hit. Does Dusty say something stupid everytime he opens his trap,or does it just seem that way?

Most MLB Managers have the same mind-set as Dusty Baker.

Most have a mis-guided understanding of run production.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    ...and he's the one guy who shouldn't be holding a position anywhere at any time for a Major League franchise.
    We hear so much about how Krivsky and Narron are on the same page, this makes me wonder about Hendry and Baker. After all, this is a team who gave employment to Neifi Perez and Tony Womack.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I recently saw the results of a poll of baseball players, I think it was on the online edition of SI, wherein Frank Robinson was voted the worst manager in the game. Robby may have his flaws, but to me that was one poll that Dusty Baker should've "won" in a landslide.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Maybe I'm wrong (and I'm no Dusty Baker defender by any means); but do you think he might be inferring by OB% means little if you're LOB (leaving them on base)?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

As Reds fans, it's out duty to flood the Cubs GM's mailbox with letters of support for Dusty.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Maybe I'm wrong (and I'm no Dusty Baker defender by any means); but do you think he might be inferring by OB% means little if you're LOB (leaving them on base)?
    That's what I got out of his comments...and I'm certainly no Dusty Baker defender either.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?