Turn Off Ads?

Thread: You make the call !

You make the call !

Here's what I thought was an interesting test of our tactical baseball managerial skills.

While this scenario was ripped from the headlines (I think I owe Dick Wolf $1 now) this is a generic scenario with no teams or player names attached. If you want to talk about the game last night please do so in a game thread.

Here's the scenario: Down by 1 in the top of the 8th (you are the visiting team). 1 out. Runner on 3B and 1B. Solid contact hitter at the plate, but he's been struggling latley so he isn't the guarenteed hit he usually is. Also, he is slow so the chance of hitting into an inning ending double play is pretty good. Guy on 1B has some wheels but does get caught so he isn't a guarenteed steel either.

As the coach of the Cyber-Galatic Cincinnati Somethings do you try to steal 2B to put the runner in better scoring position and reduce the chances of a double play OR do focus on getting the tying run on 3B home and trust your slumping hitter will save the day?

You make the call! (crud, now I think I owe NFL $1).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You make the call !

That's easy... try to get the runner in from 3B and tie the game.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

You pinch-hit with Chris Denorfia!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

You do not steal the base. If that runner gets thrown out, you then have the tying run on 3rd base with 2 outs. There are a lot more ways to score the tying run from 3rd base with 1 out than 2 outs.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

unless it's Joe Morgan or Eric Davis (circa 1986-1988) on first; I don't steal.

if it is one of those guys, a throw into CF ties the game for you. Or, now you have the winning run on 2nd.

But, if it's most other guys, including even Ryan Freel- no steal, stay put, let the hitter do his job.
    sorry we're boring

Depends on the runners at 1st and 3rd and the pitcher/catcher battery.

If both runners are reasonably fast and the pitcher/catcher combo isn't good at catching base stealers, I'd go for it. The runner on third would draw some attention as a threat for a double-steal, which would increase the chances that the catcher double-clutches or makes a poor throw.

If the runner gets thrown out, the batter still has a chance to score the run with a hit. If the runner makes it safely, a single scores two.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If it's Tony LaRussa, he puts on the squeeze almost everytime like clockwork.

If it's me, I don't put the guy on 1B in motion until later in the AB, hoping that the batter can extend the AB. I realize that's a hope, but I don't like tipping my hand by putting him in motion too early, especially if he's not a lock to steal 2B. The hit and run is my personal like, given the guy at the plate is a contact hitter.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

If I was playing a video game, I'd squeeze every time, but in a real situation the hit and run would probably be my most likely choice.

In this case, the Reds had momentum. Hatteberg was ahead 2-1. With Freel stealing, it appeared 'Berg swung to protect Freel (because if he gets thrown out, I puke blood). It was clearly a ball, but instead of being a 3-1 count, it's 2-2. Plus, with Freel on 1st, you have the 1st baseman holding him, which leaves a much bigger hole in the right side for Hatteberg to enjoy.

There is something to be said about being aggressive and a single would have put them ahead. I just don't think this was the right time.

Narron is not smart (although he is scrappy) and I am sure he never thought of any of this. Freel probably stole on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by CWRed
    In this case, the Reds had momentum. Hatteberg was ahead 2-1. With Freel stealing, it appeared 'Berg swung to protect Freel (because if he gets thrown out, I puke blood). It was clearly a ball, but instead of being a 3-1 count, it's 2-2. Plus, with Freel on 1st, you have the 1st baseman holding him, which leaves a much bigger hole in the right side for Hatteberg to enjoy.
    While this scenario was ripped from the headlines (I think I owe Dick Wolf $1 now) this is a generic scenario with no teams or player names attached. If you want to talk about the game last night please do so in a game thread.
    I think you missed the memo.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

That's what I get for doing this at work where I didn't read the thread in its entirety. I should be shunned by the entire community. My sincerest regrets. I promise to not work as hard and pay attention to what really matters. Sports!

That's what I get for doing this at work where I didn't read the thread in its entirety. I should be shunned by the entire community. My sincerest regrets. I promise to not work as hard and pay attention to what really matters. Sports!
    CWRed,

Welcome to Redszone! Please feel free to post "non-shunned".....

No big deal about your oversight. I just asked that people stick to the generic scenario in hopes of avoiding a "Jerry Narron Sucks" type rant from developing.

No harm, no foul!

Ltlabner

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

There is something to be said about being aggressive and a single would have put them ahead. I just don't think this was the right time.

Narron is not smart (although he is scrappy) and I am sure he never thought of any of this. Freel probably stole on his own.
    Great point. Freel does have a green light with this ballclub. It's what usually leads to him getting picked off, not to mention many close calls.

Taking names out of this, given this new theory of the player with the green light, I amend my answer to making sure the player on the 1B does not have a green light, and waits to go in motion until the coaching staff says so.

I don't have the guy steal, unless it is a full count. Or I do a hit and run if the count goes to 2-0 or 3-1 if there is a good hitter behind him (or one that is feared, like Griffey).

Does anyone have the stats on percentage of successful hit-and-run attempts vs. successful stolen base attempts league-wide?

We tend to think the hit-and-run is safer, but does anyone know for sure if it is? It might be that a lot of successful stolen bases are thwarted by fouled-off hit-and-run attempts.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?