Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tim Lincecum - from BP

Re: Tim Lincecum - from BP

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Well, at least we got Bailey and Bruce. You have to have some 1st round busts to even it out, especially with this organization.

It just seems that once again the Reds have out-thought themselves by passing on Lincecum.

Whether he was helping the 'pen late in the season with a chance to eventually start (see Roy Oswalt) or just a full year of minor league ball away, I thought that he was the best pick for our slot.

I hope I'm wrong, but Drew Stubbs does not appear worthy of the money or the selection. There were Stubbs doubters long before the Reds drafted him. I'm sure they had good reason and his perfomance so far, at 22, in rookie league -a hitters league no less, where all other regulars have out hit him, speaks volumes.

I'm sure he's got a great glove and is a super-duper kid, but unfortunately, that's not quite enough.
    Yep, not quite enough. Let's cut him.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Yep, not quite enough. Let's cut him.
    Can't. He's already been paid too much.

Keep him in Billings again for 2007 (blame it on the injury) and hope he finally hits amongst the youngsters so that he can be shined up and then hope that Bowden or some other GM fascinated with tools offers something better than Majewski or Bray for him.

They need to just admit their mistake and move on.

It amazes me how many people are soooo impatient - especially when it comes to a game such as baseball... which on the surface, is slow.

You don't call it quits on a guy after a 1/2 season. Thank god we didn't give up on Homer after his year last year.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    It amazes me how many people are soooo impatient - especially when it comes to a game such as baseball... which on the surface, is slow.

You don't call it quits on a guy after a 1/2 season. Thank god we didn't give up on Homer after his year last year.
    Agreed. I didn't like the pick at the time but the fact that people are ready to give up on him after a bad half season at rookie ball is laughable. I think it's clear that Stubbs needs to work on his swing but let's not forget that he has the tools to be a very successful big league player.

I just didn't particularly like the pick. That's all. We've seen Kazmir and now Sowers make an impact and the Reds have passed on another good one, for a marginal hitting, slick fielding CF.

No thanks.

Patience is going 11 years since making the playoffs and in the meanwhile watching an organization out-think itself at every turn.

You are right, I have little patience, but that has little to do with why I'm not bursting with fruit flavor at the thought of Drew Stubbs. You gotta admit, the guy didn't bring it with his stick in a hitting league, playing against younger kids.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Agreed. I didn't like the pick at the time but the fact that people are ready to give up on him after a bad half season at rookie ball is laughable. I think it's clear that Stubbs needs to work on his swing but let's not forget that he has the tools to be a very successful big league player.
    Laughable is passing on Lincecum.

Laughable is passing on Lincecum.
    We'll see. Way too early to make any judgements based on a handful of innings from a college pitcher in High A ball.

Ced, who is the guy in your avatar?

Ced, who is the guy in your avatar?
    Ernest Hemingway.

I'm nervous about Saturday by the way. I don't like having an inexperienced back seven trying to tackle Wolfe.

Good points.

I would have preferred Lincecum, but Stubbs is also a very good prospect.

He may be a college player, but he was always thought of as a raw college player. He's not polished, so it will be awhile before we see dividends. The sky is the limit for Stubbs, we just have to be patient with him. No doubt, he's off to a slow start, but that was not unexpected, and does not mean that he wont hit in the future.

I bet if DanO were still GM, Lincecum may have been the pick, he didn't shy away from short pitchers and he already drafted his outfield stud the year before.

Maybe they should have just kept DanO for the draft since 05 was a good improvement over 04, 06 could have really been flying high lol.

Another example is Votto. I wouldn't say people gave up on him after 2005, but he was by no means an elite prospect like he is now. It's funny to look at the people ranked ahead of him by BA after '05.

You dont' have to sell me on not liking the pick. If you take the time to research the threads regarding this draft, about 2 weeks ahead of time I predicted that Lincecum would fall to the Reds and that we had a shot at grabbing him. I'm not trying to step up on the soap box, but Stubbs was not my guy either. At all. And still wasn't on draft day. And still isn't.

But that part of the process is over. We have what we have. And I can at least come to grips with the pick more today, than I could on draft day. Stubbs has had a rough debut. But there's still a long road to go ahead. And lots of things can happen.

I've stated time and time again we have no idea what could be going on with Stubbs. He could be working on a mechanical issue in his swing that the Reds brass asked him to address. He could be wore down from a long college season, and a quick pro debut. There could be many reasons, none of which we are privy too unless we're Stubbs or connected inside with the Reds in some capacity.

So while this 1/2 season may be a bit of a dissapointment, I'm nowhere near ready to write this kid off. If he can turn into a Juan Pierre with OBP skills and a bit more pop? - And I don't think that would be too far of a stretch as a comparison - I think I would be one happy camper with the pick.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm nowhere near ready to write this kid off. If he can turn into a Juan Pierre with OBP skills and a bit more pop? - And I don't think that would be too far of a stretch as a comparison
    I don't mean to be cruel, but that is a horrible comparison. Pierre hits for a great average, has 11 career homeruns, and once stole 65 bases. That doesn't sounds like Stubbs at all. I think Mike Cameron is the best comparison...(mediocre average, good OBP, with a 20+ homers and 30+ stolen bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I bet if DanO were still GM, Lincecum may have been the pick, he didn't shy away from short pitchers and he already drafted his outfield stud the year before.

Maybe they should have just kept DanO for the draft since 05 was a good improvement over 04, 06 could have really been flying high lol.
    LOL.. agreed.. if there was one thing I liked about DanO it was his drafts. I don't buy into the stereotype's that short pitchers can't succeed.. especially one's with Lincecum's stuff. Its amazing.

Everyone talked about his mechanics too - well, I'd like to point out that there is still so much unknown about the art of pitching, that weird mechanics don't scare me - ala Dontrelle Willis. As long as the guy stays healthy, and by all accounts Lincecum has never had a major arm injury during his career. He has an unorthodox throwing regimine program, and its worked his whole career. Nothing about this guy scares me, except his talent and the fact we passed it up... Was real bummed about that. Giants got a great pick.. him and Cain should form and awesome duo. Tim L. should be ready soon, would have been nice to have him and Homer ready about the same time table. Oh well.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?