Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tim Lincecum - from BP

Re: Tim Lincecum - from BP

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Another example is Votto. I wouldn't say people gave up on him after 2005, but he was by no means an elite prospect like he is now. It's funny to look at the people ranked ahead of him by BA after '05.
    perfect example, votto really struggled... this can happen to anyone, even the best have "off years" or prolonged slumps from time to time. No one should give up on a guy who still has a high ceiling and big upside because of 1 bad year. Let them put up another bad year before writing them off.

Players adjust differently. A good case is NYM prospect Carlos Gomez. Youngest player in AA this year. Take a look at his stats:

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi...&tm=BinEL&bp=b

Monthly splits show how lost he was to start the year, then wah-lah! He started figuring it out in June, had an outragous July, and a solid August. If you look over his career he's struggled at lower levels too. He is similar to Stubbs in that he is very toolsy. Sometimes the toolsy players take longer to develope, but when they do they are exciting ballplayers.

Don't give up on Stubbs yet guys... his ceiling is pretty high for a prospect, even if the tools have yet to translate to results.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I don't mean to be cruel, but that is a horrible comparison. Pierre hits for a great average, has 11 career homeruns, and once stole 65 bases. That doesn't sounds like Stubbs at all. I think Mike Cameron is the best comparison...(mediocre average, good OBP, with a 20+ homers and 30+ stolen bases.

Just my humble opinion, i'm no pro scout... stubbs hit for average with aluminum... and with some decent pop and OBP... i see him at his peak as a .280 hitter, .380 OBP, 470ish SLG type guy with 20HR on a GOOD year, but gap power and 30+ Stolen bases with incredible defense(which by all accounts i've read is GG quality... wasn't his speed rated 80 on the 20-80 scale?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Just my humble opinion, i'm no pro scout... stubbs hit for average with aluminum... and with some decent pop and OBP... i see him at his peak as a .280 hitter, .380 OBP, 470ish SLG type guy with 20HR on a GOOD year, but gap power and 30+ Stolen bases with incredible defense(which by all accounts i've read is GG quality... wasn't his speed rated 80 on the 20-80 scale?

If he does that, then this pick is a big success. We all want the second coming of Willie Mays with the 1st round pick, but many never even reach the majors. Where is John Oliver these days?

Thanks for the scouting report, I learn a lot about these guys here.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If he does that, then this pick is a big success. We all want the second coming of Willie Mays with the 1st round pick, but many never even reach the majors. Where is John Oliver these days?

Thanks for the scouting report, I learn a lot about these guys here.
    keep in mind thats what i think his peak or prime years could look like if he makes it... he could just as easily turn into corey patterson for all we know.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim Lincecum, rhp, High Class A San Jose (Giants)

As the division finals began in the complicated California League playoffs, San Jose, who had a bye in the first round, put their 2006 first-round pick on the mound in the opener. Lincecum, fresh from racking up 58 strikeouts over 31.2 innings in his debut, led the Giants to a 3-2 win over Visalia with his longest outing since signing. In seven innings, Lincecum allowed one run on five hits and a walk, while striking out ten. One scout in attendance clocked the diminutive righty consistently in the mid-90s with plenty of 98s thrown in for good measure, and described his curveball as earning a 70 or better ranking on the 20-to-80 scouting scale. With the Giants in the mix of a very crowded National League wild card race, just one game could make all the difference. Will Lincecum be pitching in that game? Don't count on it, but don't bet against it either.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?