Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox are shopping Wells

Red Sox are shopping Wells

Red Sox are trying to trade David Wells in the next few days. The article mentions the Reds as one of the teams where Wells could be traded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2565280

The Boston Red Sox are actively shopping veteran pitcher David Wells to determine what they could get if they decide to trade the lefty in the next 48 hours.

Wells, 43, cleared waivers on Aug. 3, at a time when he was just starting to come back from a serious knee problem; on July 31, he allowed 8 runs in 4 2/3 innings. Because he cleared waivers, he can be traded to any team without restriction, and Wells has pitched much better of late. He has 2.65 ERA in the month of August, walking 5 and striking out 20 in 34 innings.

The notion that the Red Sox might consider trading Wells would've seem ludicrous two weeks ago, but Boston is in freefall and has dropped 6 games behind the Twins in the wild-card race, and 7 games behind the Yankees in the AL East. Wells has talked about retiring at the end of this season, so if the Red Sox keep Wells through the month of September and don't make the playoffs, they would effectively lose him for nothing.

And he has high value right now, at a time when the likes of Shawn Chacon and Ramon Ortiz are the only pitchers who typically get through waivers. Wells' exceptional postseason history has to intrigue teams: In 16 postseason series, he has a 10-4 record, with a 3.15 ERA. In order to be eligible for post-season play with another team, Wells would have to be traded by Aug. 31.

The Red Sox may decide to keep Wells, in the end. But their recent conversations with other teams have been aimed at laying the groundwork for a possible deal if they decide to move the left-hander.

Among the contending teams that make sense as possible suitors for Wells would include the Mets, the Twins, the Diamondbacks, the Padres, the Dodgers, the Phillies, the Cardinals, Oakland and the Cincinnati Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: Red Sox are shopping Wells

Yes.

I'd be in favor of getting him if the price isn't too high.

The question is really... what is a fair price?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'd be in favor of getting him if the price isn't too high.

The question is really... what is a fair price?
    6 cheese coneys and some Sturkey's dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

Sturkey's?

Is that similar to Frisch's Bag Boy?

edit : I see "sturkey's" really a restaurant. I thought you meant "stuckey's"
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

But what do we give the Sox?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Sturkey's?

Is that similar to Frisch's Bag Boy?
    That place on Wyoming Ave with world class desserts.

Stuff so good, it'll make you give back stuff you never stole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Dunn's massage chair.

That place on Wyoming Ave with world class desserts.

Stuff so good, it'll make you give back stuff you never stole.
    I just looked at their website. Looks nice. Much better than Stuckey's

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R

Some roofies and Chris Michalak.

On a serious note, we'd probably have to give up more than we want, for a guy that's way past his prime. My guess would be they might want Phil Dumatrait back and something else. My dream is that we send Jason LaRue up there, since Lopez hasn't helped them AT ALL with Varitek out.

How would folks feel about Denofria? Or is that too much?

Man Pills

Done. I could be six feet under before the Reds see another playoff game. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Too much, IMO. David Wells still has good nights on the mound, but he also has real bad nights. He's inconsistent, and because of that, they shouldn't part with a prospect that 1) isn't far from contributing at the MLB level, and 2) shows that he could possibly be an everyday player at the MLB level.

I was thinking maybe Olmedo for Wells. I know Olmedo comes close to meeting both criterion I described above, but at this point, I don't see him as an everyday player in MLB.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Too much, IMO. David Wells still has good nights on the mound, but he also has real bad nights. He's inconsistent, and because of that, they shouldn't part with a prospect that 1) isn't far from contributing at the MLB level, and 2) has good upside.

I was thinking maybe Olmedo for Wells.
    I'm just not sure that Denofria really projects as anything more than a 4th OF and I don't think Olmedo would get it done.

Too bad we don't have Cody Ross to trade. He had more value than Olmedo and we got squat for him.

I'm just not sure that Denofria really projects as anything more than a 4th OF and I don't think Olmedo would get it done.

Too bad we don't have Cody Ross to trade. He had more value than Olmedo and we got squat for him.
    As far as a list of who I'd give up, Denorfia would be pretty close to Olmedo on my list, but Olmedo would be higher because it seems that the Reds have more depth at 2B than they do in the OF as far as what's on the MLB team and in the upper minors ready to contribute. That's why I'd give Olmedo the nod over Denorfia. We're only talking about 1 month of David Well's here (with a hope for more), then he's going to retire. I just don't think a month of David Wells is worth even a player with a strong #4 OF ceiling. I don't know, maybe the market dictates that it does, in which case I'd have to really think about it and would eventually give in and do the deal knowing how good of a chance we have of making the post season this year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?