Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wells probably going to Padres...bad news for Reds

Re: Wells probably going to Padres...bad news for Reds

Bad news? Bad news for the Reds is they cant hit their way out if a paper bag when they play on the left coast.

I dont think it matters what other teams do...

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Boston Globe is reporting the deal to San Diego is likely.

Multiple sources confirm that Epstein is prepared to trade Wells back to his native San Diego unless another potential trading partner, the Los Angeles Dodgers, is willing to trade one of its top three prospects: outfielder Matt Kemp, third baseman Andy LaRoche, or first baseman James Loney, all three of whom are tearing up the Triple A Pacific Coast League. Loney was batting .383, Kemp .356, and LaRoche .319 for the Las Vegas 51s.

As things stood last night, the Dodgers were not willing to do so, which means Epstein is likely to send Wells to the Padres for a lefthanded-hitting catcher, George Kottaras, who came into this season ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the Padres organization by Baseball America. Kottaras, 23, has split the season between Double A and Triple A, batting .276 with 8 home runs, 33 RBIs, and a .394 on-base percentage at Double A Mobile and .233 with 2 homers and 14 RBIs in 28 games for Triple A Portland (Ore.).

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Bad news? Bad news for the Reds is they cant hit their way out if a paper bag when they play on the left coast.

I dont think it matters what other teams do...
    Dead on. Folks, David Wells will not win a pennant for this team. The problem on the west coast is clearly hitting. I'm not sure Wells would pitch better than Michalek. If you need another starter take your chances with Homer. Do not trade any more prospects!

If the Reds are really worried about a deal they can put in a waiver claim and block a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If the Reds are really worried about a deal they can put in a waiver claim and block a deal
    He's already cleared waivers, as has likely whomever is going back to the Red Sox.

I personally don't think its bad news for us.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I personally don't think its bad news for us.
    I agree. I wouldn't have put in a claim either

If this was 1999-2000.....i can agree with being upset over Wells.....but now? Wells is like done, IMO.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    But the Red Sox are in a position to demand it. That's why I thought the Reds reporter was wrong when he said Wells "should cost only a marginal prospect".

The Red Sox have the only respectable starting pitcher available.. Supply and Demand.
    Seriously? A position to demand it?

Here's a question for you: what do you honestly believe is the difference between David Wells & Chris Michalak at this stage of their careers?

Two good starts from Wells, and now he's gonna be Doyle Alexander in '87?
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Just saw this on Rotoworld:

"An industry source told the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes that a David Wells deal is imminent.

It's expected that he'll go to the Padres or Dodgers, as he doesn't want to pitch anywhere else. The Reds were also trying to get involved before Wells decided to insist on going to the West Coast. Lenny DiNardo is likely to start in Wells' place against the Jays tonight."

Can't say that Krivsky doesn't try.

Just heard on ESPN Radio that Wells' locker has been cleaned out. Looks like he's gone, but they don't know where yet. Julian Tavarez gets the start tonight instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis View Post
    Seriously? A position to demand it?

Here's a question for you: what do you honestly believe is the difference between David Wells & Chris Michalak at this stage of their careers?

Two good starts from Wells, and now he's gonna be Doyle Alexander in '87?

Yes, they are in a position to demand a high price. There's a bunch of teams in the Wildcard race that need pitching, and LA doesn't have a huge lead in their division. STL could also use another SP.

If the price was only a marginal prospect, there'd be about 10 teams interested. The demand is high. So the Red Sox should be asking for the moon (as opposed to settling for a Deno level prospect). If this SD trade falls through and no one else is willing to ante up, the Red Sox really haven't lost anything. It's not as if losing the opportunity to get a marginal prospect is going to set their franchise back.

Wells isn't Cy Young, but he's the only decent pitcher available now. Sure, he's a big risk, but there's a lot of contenders in which he's a big upgrade to their staff. IIRC, he's been hot the last month as well.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

ESPN reporting it is a done deal
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

To heck with David Wells! We need a guy who can hit a single with runners in scoring position.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

IIRC, he's been hot the last month as well.
    3 of his wins have been against Seattle, Tampa and Baltimore, he's pitched a grand total of 34 innings in the last month, he's a walking muscle pull, his body a ticking time bomb destined to implode.

It's a gamble on the larger side of he scale (no pun intended)

George Kottaras is what the Padres have given up.

Turn Off Ads?