Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wells probably going to Padres...bad news for Reds

Re: Wells probably going to Padres...bad news for Reds

This could be the best thing that has happened to the Reds in quite a while.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    George Kottaras is what the Padres have given up.
    In fact, if he goes back to San Diego - it could be known as "Welcome Back Kottar-as"
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    3 of his wins have been against Seattle, Tampa and Baltimore, he's pitched a grand total of 34 innings in the last month, he's a walking muscle pull, his body a ticking time bomb destined to implode.

It's a gamble on the larger side of he scale (no pun intended)
    Yes, this move might blow up in SD's face. My point is that Wells is the only pitcher that even has a chance to be respectable on the market. Thus, Boston can get a lot more for him now than they could've in July (when other pitchers were on the market). The close pennant/WC race makes it a sellers' market, and there's only one for sale.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    3 of his wins have been against Seattle, Tampa and Baltimore, he's pitched a grand total of 34 innings in the last month, he's a walking muscle pull, his body a ticking time bomb destined to implode.

It's a gamble on the larger side of he scale (no pun intended)
    Those 3 teams might be in the WC race if they played in the NL...

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Those 3 teams might be in the WC race if they played in the NL...
    And if they had feathers they might be chickens too.

35 Innings pitched all year is a big gamble to buy into, maybe he's great maybe he's not... but he'll be quitting this year and they just paid for 5 weeks of David.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Apparently the catching platoon of Josh "Suddenly Able to Hit" Bard and 38-year-old Mike Piazza has infused the Padres with such confidence for the future that they're willing to throw away one of the league's ten best catching prospects for five David Wells starts.

Even Wayne Krivsky's got to be shaking his head and saying, "Man, that's short-sighted. Man."

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Even Wayne Krivsky's got to be shaking his head and saying, "Man, that's short-sighted. Man."
    For me, I think WK is more likely lamenting he didn't have a good catching prospect to trade.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

This is a move for the postseason, no doubt about it. I like this deal, from the Padres point of view, for four reasons:

1.) Wells is money in the postseason: 10-4, 3.15 ERA. He only has one or two postseason stinkers on resume, with far more impressive starts.

2.) The Cards and Mets are vulnerable against lefties, the Cards in particular. Having a good lefty in the NL this year is a boon, particularly when one of these two clubs would be the Pads' first-round matchup in the postseason. (Cards: .793 OPS against righties, .736 against lefties. Mets: .802 against righties, .772 against lefties.)

3.) The pricetag--and I'm strictly talking $$ here--is low because of the way Wells' contract was written. No way he reaches those performance bonuses with only a handful of starts this year. So the Pads are on the hook for less than $1M, by my count.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2567879

4.) I don't see how Wells is appreciably worse than Jamie Moyer, at this point in their respective careers, yet nobody raised a stink about that trade.

Nevertheless, Kottaras is a lot to give up. FWIW, he was the guy I would've targeted in the Randa deal last year:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...420#post786420
    Last edited by D-Man; 09-01-2006 at 04:29 PM.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Man View Post

4.) I don't see how Wells is appreciably worse than Jamie Moyer, at this point in their respective careers, yet nobody raised a stink about that trade.
    That's because the Phillies gave up very little for Moyer, while the Padres gave up a very good prospect for a pitcher that is a big gamble and will likely have similar value to that of Moyer.

Turn Off Ads?