Reds seek an arm or two
Veteran Johnson signed; could Wells be on way?
BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
LOS ANGELES - It would appear to be a move right out of the throw-a-starter-against-the-wall-and-see-if-he-sticks philosophy.
The Reds signed Jason Johnson to a minor-league contract Wednesday. Johnson was assigned to Triple-A Louisville, but the Reds might have major-league plans for him.
"We get him into the organization before Sept. 1, so he's eligible for the playoff roster," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said.
The Johnson move is not going to get fans excited, but more moves could be coming. The Red Sox are reportedly willing to part with veteran left-hander David Wells, who is 2-2 with a 2.65 ERA in five August starts.
"We've got a lot of things working," Krivsky said.
Johnson, a 32-year-old right-hander, pitched with Cleveland and Boston this year with very little success. He combined to go 3-12 with a 6.35 ERA. He allowed 149 hits in 1061/3 innings.
"He's got a good arm, good stuff," Krivsky said. "He's a veteran guy. He adds to our depth, our inventory."
Johnson was 8-13 with a 4.54 ERA last year in Detroit. He's 55-98 with a 5.00 ERA in his career.
The Reds need a fifth starter for four starts in September. Johnson will not be ready for the first of those starts, which will be Tuesday.
"Right now, if everything stays the same, (Chris) Michalak will make that start," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.
The Reds optioned Michalak to Single-A Sarasota Tuesday to get outfielder Chris Denorfia on the roster.
Johnson was going to report to Louisville today and throw a bullpen session. "We'll see how he is and go from there," Krivsky said.