Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we a .500 team if we still have FeLo and Kearns?

Are we a .500 team if we still have FeLo and Kearns?

I know that many aspects of this trade have been kicked around, but I'm wondering everyone's thoughts if we're a .500 team without making this trade.

Seeing that there wasn't much in the way of middle relief available or traded, I don't think it's a fair answer to say we could have gotten help elsewhere. After almost throwing my computer monitor out the window when I first read about the trade, I love the fact we've got a bullpen that's at the very least highly average after the pussballers we were running out there.

I'm so excited to be talking Reds playoff baseball as we head into Labor Day weekend. It has been way too long.

Cormier just stuck it to the Dodgers...let's get a run and get a win here!

It's nice to see Dunn back in the two hole. For a guy who plays stats so much, it's good to see our de-loved manager get him back where he's best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are we a .500 team if we still have FeLo and Kearns?

I still don't know what to think of the trade. The fact that we are only 2 games over .500, hopefully 3 after tonight doesn't really sit well. The trade really was a trade for a current push for the playoffs and well were are not looking to hot now.

We'll see though.

I think that FeLo and Kearns both were/are too streaky to have been the "impact" players that it would have taken to pull this team out of their funk. Bottom line is it's August and the same 3 or 4 players that were carrying this team early on have continued to carry them to this point, and probably are just flat out exhausted by now.

If we still had Kearns and Lopez then Freel and Aurilia would be seeing less playing time. I dont see our record being that much different either way but I do prefer to see Freel and Aurilia simply because of the spark they seem to give the team. Not to mention the better defense we are seeing now.

Its hard to say, but everyone was giving Narron and Wayne credit when this team looked playoff bound. I think they should be called out for the struggles as well. This team as a whole was leading the wild card forever and a day. They were even close to 10 games over .500 at one point in July I beleive, could be wrong on that. But, the team is a completely different team than the one that was in 1st place in the NL Central in June(I think anyway). You cannot expect the same results with so much turnover. Not that trying is a bad thing. But, trying with very marginal players bullpen pitchers is questionable at that. Guardado is the only pitcher that I have been the least bit impressed with and he is on the shelf for who knows how long.
    The team was in first place for a reason regardless of the problems. You took away 2 everyday players and a completely different BP and you expect your problems solved?? It was a try, not sure it was a good one though. Again, very marginal players added. Not sure exactly what was expected.

The existence of Royce Clayton on this roster is the ultimate indictment of why Felipe should have been left alone.

If you just look at the numbers, our offense hasn't dropped since the trade but our pitching has improved (the numbers I saw were before the current slump). Plus Lopez has committed 7-8 more errors since the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I Plus Lopez has committed 7-8 more errors since the trade.
    10 IIRC.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Yeah this what a good trade?? NOT!! What we got were two pitchers that aren't or have'nt even helped our team. Actually we have lost many games because of them. A shortstop who has no power and can't hit or field. If we would have left things alone we would be up 5 games!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Since the All-Star break, I would bet they've lost more games with Todd Coffey on the mound than Bill Bray. I don't have the numbers, or anything, I would just guess that they have.

Kearns out opened the door for Freel, and Felipe out has opened the door for EE.

Jury's still out on Majewski - get him healthy and come back to me.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-30-2006 at 07:19 PM.

If the Reds got a healthy Majewski then it would be better team. Also if Lopez is still on this team then we would see more Aurilla over E.E. And Kearns is struggling while Freel has provided a spark.

Really, this subject is getting old!!

The record wouldn't be greatly different.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

You guys aren't thinking very much! I know it's getting old! We are reminded everyday of how bad a trade it was.. Ok I like are line up all Im saying is we could have gotten way more for those two, perhaps a number 3-4 pitcher and we could be in a better situation right now. Not signing guys with 6+ era

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The record wouldn't be greatly different.
    I don't think so either, it may swing a few games here or there, but nothing of much impact....they are what they are, an average to maybe a a little above average team in a pretty crappy league.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 08-30-2006 at 07:32 PM.

The answer wasn't to keep Felo and Kearns. They were the obvious candidates to be traded. The answer was to get some real help in return.

Turn Off Ads?