Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-10-07. Tonight the show was held at the Reds HOF & Museum. Marty mentioned the acquisition of IF Jeff Keppinger from the Royals in exchange for an A ball pitcher. To make room for Keppinger on the 40 man roster, Ray Olmedo was DFAed. The Reds announced the stops for the winter caravan. There will be 2 separate caravans touring simultaneously. It will make 26 stops in 21 cities and towns in 4 states.

After commercial, the executive director of the HOF & Museum, Greg Rhodes, joined Marty. Marty asked Greg about the Pete Rose exhibit that opens on March 10 and closes in the spring of 2008. Greg said Pete would be in for some opening event activities. The Rose exhibit will be right next to the theater as you walk into the museum and there will be a Rose video playing in the theater. Greg said there has been national attention about this and collectors have been calling from all over the country offering to loan stuff to the exhibit. It's the first time there has been a Rose exhibit of this magnitude. Marty asked what kind of exhibits would there be. Greg said they just picked up today all the gloves from the different positions that Rose used when he played. So they will have his OFers glove his 2B glove his 3B glove and his 1B mitt. This will include the glove he used as a rookie in 1963. They have the world's #1 rated Rose baseball card collection which consists of all the Topps cards and the others. They are all in mint condition. The 4192 ball and bat will be exhibited as well. Pete will be loaning some stuff too. Marty said that if anyone has any Pete memorabilia they would like to exhibit, let the HOF & Museum know. (I understand they may be exhibiting a rare Pete Rose autograph )

After commercial, Marty made clear that the Reds had to get permission from MLB to do this. Marty asked Greg about the Reds HOF elections. Up till now voting and induction has taken place every year. Greg said that they wanted to do this during the season to get more people involved and more buzz. The winners will be announced in August and the induction will take place in the summer of 08 which will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Reds HOF which is the oldest team HOF and 2nd oldest baseball HOF next to Cooperstown. The first inductions were in 1958 and the first inductees were Ernie Lombardi, Johnny Vander Meer, Frank McCormick, Bucky Walters and Paul Derringer. Marty said there will be online voting as well. The local chapter of the writers will put the ballot together. They said there would be a dinner in 08 and talked about the dinner last year.

After commercial, Marty took questions from the crowd. The first person asked if the Reds improved during the offseason. Marty said they have defensively with the signing of Gonzo and he should hit at least 20 HRs. He also liked the Conine signing but Marty said if you go on the internet and look up Conine's numbers he has had some big years for a number of clubs.

The next person asked Marty if Brandon Claussen would get an invitation to Spring Training since guys like Machado are too. Marty said if Machado got an invite, Claussen should too. He said that he hasn't been invited as of yet. Marty said he had his chances but couldn't develop any consistency. He said he talked to people who watched him before the 1st surgery and he was something else.

The next peron asked why the Reds didn't re-sign Aurilia. Marty said that it is a tremendous loss to the Reds but he didn't think he wanted to come back since the Giants wanted him. Marty graded him higher than anyone else over the last 2 years for what he did and the contributions he made.

The next person asked what Marty thought about the Reds pitching staff. Marty said he first two starters are outstanding. Marty said that if you look on the internet and look at Harang's numbers compared to Barry Zito's numbers you will be stunned. (Marty has evidently discovered the internet. He must have been cleaning out his closet and found an old Prodigy floppy disk. Welcome to 1996, Marty) Marty said one of the keys to the 07 season will be the development of Homer. Joe thinks he will make the 25 man Opening Day roster. Marty doesn't think so but thinks he might be up as early as the middle of May. Marty said he's a bona fide stud.

After commercial, Marty pimped season tickets. The next person asked Marty what would be the starting lineup next year. Marty said Mr. Hat at 1st, Philips at 2nd, Gonzo at SS, EE at 3rd, Dunn in LF, Jr. in CF unless they move him and either Freel, Deno or Dennis - I mean Norris - Hopper in RF, and either Ross or Javy catching. The person asked what pitchers Wayne's looking at and Marty didn't know.
    The next person asked about the bullpen. Marty said that you have to hope that Majewski and Cormier will make the trade look better. Marty said if the pen isn't improved, 07 will be a long year.

The next person asked how Jr.'s hand was. Marty said that word has it that Jr. won't miss any time in ST for this and it is healing fine.

The next person asked Marty if he thought the Brewers were the most improved in the division. Marty agreed but thought they would contend for the division title last year. They signed Suppan but they have to keep Sheets healthy. They have a lot of good young players. Marty thinks the division is wide open and the Cubs went out of their mind spending money for players. He thinks their pitching staff could be a trainwreck if Prior can't stay healthy
    - which he never has. They have Zambrano and Lilly but that's it. He thought what they signed Lilly for was stupid (4 years/40M). He said that the Cards have a lot of questions but they have a difference maker in Pujols.

The next person said that the dimensions of GAB may make it difficult to bring in a free agent pitcher and are the Reds considering making the dimensions bigger. Marty said that the way the stadium is constructed, it would make it difficult to do that unless they were to knock out some seats like Philly did.

After commercial, the next person suggested they do the HSL at a different place every week at a restaurant or wherever. Marty said they tried that for a couple of years and he would love to do it again.

The next person said that he was looking at the lineup for Game 1 of the 1990 series and 6 of the 8 position players were home grown and asked Marty if it was possible to have predominantly home grown players again. Marty said it was and they are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with guys like Homer, Cueto, Votto and Bruce. The person said that the Cubs have offered a $7M bonus to some guy from Notre Dame and could the Reds keep up with the bonuses. Marty said the Cubs have lost their minds and he said even if they brought Ruth, Cobb and Gehrig back from the dead, the Cubs are still the Cubs.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 1-10-06. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Marty has evidently discovered the internet
    He does answer emails at home games. I guess all the other parks don't have internet service available or the Reds can't afford a laptop for him.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    He does answer emails at home games. I guess all the other parks don't have internet service available or the Reds can't afford a laptop for him.
    Yes, yes he does. In fact he answered one of mine, paraphrased it, called me a "boob" and said that the folks out here in Portland "must be real proud of me".

Thus my brush with "fame".
    School's out. What did you expect?

Marty said the Cubs have lost their minds and he said even if they brought Ruth, Cobb and Gehrig back from the dead, the Cubs are still the Cubs.
    LOL!!!

Yeah, I love Marty.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Thanks for the summary. Not being able to hear the broadcasts myself, I really appreciate you posting them.

Thanks as always Chip.
    Let's play two!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The next person said that he was looking at the lineup for Game 1 of the 1990 series and 6 of the 8 position players were home grown
    Actually, I think it was 5 of 8: Morris, Duncan and Hatcher came from other organizations.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Yes, yes he does. In fact he answered one of mine, paraphrased it, called me a "boob" and said that the folks out here in Portland "must be real proud of me".

Thus my brush with "fame".

ok, I have to know what you wrote him.

boob.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Actually, I think it was 5 of 8: Morris, Duncan and Hatcher came from other organizations.

Yeah, that's what I had too.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Thanks for the report, Chip. You must have missed the first five minutes though, becuz I don't see any Casey references. =)

what email address do you use for Marty?

Thanks chip

Thanks for the GREAT detailed report. I just read this now instead of listening.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I was at the "live" Reds Hot Stove League on 1/10 and would just like to say it was a very nice experience.....Marty was very accomodating to the fans and the front hall at the Reds HOF was packed....I would love to see more of these live Hot Stove Leagues and would be willing to drive down even more from Columbus for a baseball fix...I also would recommend to anyone who is a fan of Marty to buy the Baseball Voices CD he is featured that is out now...it made the drive after my visit very enjoyable, especially after taking in the depressing Cyclone Hockey game after the Hot Stove League....unless you are a major hockey fan--I would not recommend a Cyclone game to anyone visiting the queen city.

PS I had the fortune of sitting behind Jim Scott (700 WLW morning man) and his family during the HSL...he is a very nice man...unfortunately so nice it is almost creepy---just an observation

Headed South

What guy from Notre Dame was it?

The art of losing isn't hard to master.

- e.b.

Turn Off Ads?