Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: GABP Changes

Re: GABP Changes

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Well, we've never had any problem crossing the street to the park. There's a light and a crosswalk.

The Public Landing is not behind the RF seats, but you're right, you can see it from there. I've never noticed that it looks awful.
    I don't think he was saying it was a problem to park/walk. I think he was referring to the way the ballpark feels isolated from the rest of downtown due to the presence of I-71, which I whole-heartedly agree with him on. If you come to the Ballpark and your mission is to park as close to the ballpark as possible, you never venture into downtown (maybe a positive for some).

For the area he's referring to behind RF, walk to the retaining wall behind the sundeck and look straight down. When that area was first reopened after construction, it was pretty well maintained. Now, not so much.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I don't think he was saying it was a problem to park/walk. I think he was referring to the way the ballpark feels isolated from the rest of downtown due to the presence of I-71, which I whole-heartedly agree with him on. If you come to the Ballpark and your mission is to park as close to the ballpark as possible, you never venture into downtown (maybe a positive for some).

For the area he's referring to behind RF, walk to the retaining wall behind the sundeck and look straight down. When that area was first reopened after construction, it was pretty well maintained. Now, not so much.
    Yes, that's what I meant. The picture Team Boone provided is to the right of what I'm talking about. I'm referring to everything left of that, all the way to the bridge.

And yes, it's just stinks that the only place to go and pre-game it (by the stadium) is on the other side of the freeway. It's just not a very intimate atmosphere. It's not gonna cause me to go to less games, but it's just something I wish were different.

If this is the way I knew it would end up, I would have been more supportive of building the stadium north of the city (Broadway Commons?). It would have cleaned up the city and provided more room on the Riverfront for other things.

As far as exposed concrete, I disagree with Team Boone. Just cover it up with brick. It would look very nice. It's not like the three inches of brick are going to take away any room in the stadium. Look at the Cardinals new stadium. Brick everywhere with green trim (seats/metal). That look is better to me, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the "red" seats.

I have been to "The Jake" many times and GABP is nothing compared to it. Again, like you said, that's subjective in itself, but it's just they way I and most people I know, that have been to both places, feel. Actually, almost everyone I know, that is a Reds fan, was excited about the new park, but after the novelty has worn off, their true feelings are that it's a bit of a disappointment.

All in all. I know they were limited because of the space between the old Cinergy and the Arena. That's whay I think in hindsight the thing should have been built uptown with a nice view of the city in the OF. Not only would it have freed up what little space there is on the riverfront, it would have re-engergized a dead part of the city.

Just my opinion.

And yes, it's just stinks that the only place to go and pre-game it (by the stadium) is on the other side of the freeway. It's just not a very intimate atmosphere. It's not gonna cause me to go to less games, but it's just something I wish were different.
    The people at Gameday say hi! Also the Machine Room opens 3 hours before the game...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I think he was referring to the way the ballpark feels isolated from the rest of downtown due to the presence of I-71, which I whole-heartedly agree with him on. If you come to the Ballpark and your mission is to park as close to the ballpark as possible, you never venture into downtown (maybe a positive for some).
    Sure seems like a positive to me. The more I can avoid downtown the better.. I just don't see it was a positive to cram the stadium in the "uptown" area, surrounded by "crime areas" of downtown. Down on the river, seperated off by I71, is a good place to be. Peronally, I like the view of the river and N. Ky hills from our seats. A view of a bunch of buildings...no matter what the city, is just that, a bunch of buildings. Whoopie. My personal opionion.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    The people at Gameday say hi! Also the Machine Room opens 3 hours before the game...
    The Machine Room is a pretty cool place to go. My father and I go there before most every game. They have a nice big bar for those who would like to imbibe and a fair number of tables for those looking to sit down and eat. If you get there early enough, you can sit outside on the patio and watch batting practice while you eat. A very fun thing to do IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Sure seems like a positive to me. The more I can avoid downtown the better.. I just don't see it was a positive to cram the stadium in the "uptown" area, surrounded by "crime areas" of downtown. Down on the river, seperated off by I71, is a good place to be. Peronally, I like the view of the river and N. Ky hills from our seats. A view of a bunch of buildings...no matter what the city, is just that, a bunch of buildings. Whoopie. My personal opionion.
    Downtown's not as bad (crime-wise) as some portray it. I usually park at 5th and Sycamore (Chiquita Building - $5) or around Lydle Park (free after 6 on the street) and I've never felt unsafe walking to my car after a game, even alone.

The real "issues" don't start until about 8th-9th street. My wife hates it when I drive back to 75 that way, but I grew up in the hood. Plus, I'm packin heat.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I just don't see it was a positive to cram the stadium in the "uptown" area, surrounded by "crime areas" of downtown.
    The sooner the greater Cincinnati area reclaims their downtown the better, turn your back on your city center and you end up getting what you see.

Livable cities are a must in american society.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

The smoke stacks arent too bad. Just get rid of those tired bats that tops them. They make it look like an out of place toy at the stadium.

It wreeks of a half hearted attempt to pay homage to the riverboats.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The sooner the greater Cincinnati area reclaims their downtown the better, turn your back on your city center and you end up getting what you see.

Yep. What's the other option, accept that it's "crime-ridden" and leave it alone? I believe this is why Cincinnati is currently such a ghost town at night as it is.

I don't think of that part of downtown as dangerous at all. The only time I really ever feel my security threatened at all is if there's no one around...so give people reason to be there.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I agree WOY, but the city of Cincy's problems are far bigger than simply building a ballpark and watching the downtown become vibrant again. A new ballpark "uptown" *might* have a positive effect but it does little to overcome the other non-baseball related issues that are plaguing the city.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Yep. What's the other option, accept that it's "crime-ridden" and leave it alone? I believe this is why Cincinnati is currently such a ghost town at night as it is.

I don't think of that part of downtown as dangerous at all. The only time I really ever feel my security threatened at all is if there's no one around...so give people reason to be there.
    No, the issue is to deal with the crime head on. Something this city has done very little of, IMO. If you simply plop a stadium down in the uptown area and expect the crime to dissapear you'll be waiting a while. You have to have a commitment to dealing with the rampant crime along with that staduim project but I don't think the local government, county and city have the stomach to do that.

But that's a conversation better suited for the off-topic forum.

I usually park at the Weston on 5th and Vine ($1 evenings).

I've never ever felt unsafe downtown. Perhaps I should, but I don't.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    No, the issue is to deal with the crime head on. Something this city has done very little of, IMO. If you simply plop a stadium down in the uptown area and expect the crime to dissapear you'll be waiting a while. You have to have a commitment to dealing with the rampant crime along with that staduim project but I don't think the local government, county and city have the stomach to do that.

But that's a conversation better suited for the off-topic forum.
    No, I completely agree with you. What I said doesn't contradict that, I just didn't go really in-depth with it. But it is something they should deal with, and should start to do now; just saying that they haven't done so in the past is not an excuse for the future. Those things can work quickly. And while building up the area is not a solution, it does help. Immediately there are more people and more security there. But yes, there are things to handle first.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I heard rumors that the costs for Paul Brown stadium over ran and the city had to cut corners on GABP. Any truth to this?
    The Reds were responsible for all costs beyond a certain figure, so Allen made darn sure that the Reds paid the minimum required.
    There was an article in the enquirer about Allen's "value engineering" which included things like removing toilet seat dispensers, making the vending stations out of thinner metal, etc.

I tried to do a search for it, but the enquirer site sucks even worse than it used to. You used to be able to search under Reds stories only.. My search returned a bunch of crap about IKEA and other nonsense.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I've always thought that the batter's eye was part of the reason there were so many HRs. The black batter's eye gives hitters an advantage because they can pick up the ball earlier and see it much clearer all the way in. As has been pointed out most HRs in the GABP are not wall-scrapers. Fuzzy up the batter's eye. Grow some shubbery or add some texture. At least give it a try, it would be a lot cheaper than messing with the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I've always thought that the batter's eye was part of the reason there were so many HRs. The black batter's eye gives hitters an advantage because they can pick up the ball earlier and see it much clearer all the way in. As has been pointed out most HRs in the GABP are not wall-scrapers. Fuzzy up the batter's eye. Grow some shubbery or add some texture. At least give it a try, it would be a lot cheaper than messing with the walls.
    They could just paint it completely white and VOILA, we'll have a pitcher's park!

Turn Off Ads?