Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto tonight

Cueto tonight

Seven innings, seven strikeouts, no runs, four hits. Probably final performance of the year at Sarasota. Guy looks ready for AA next year

Finished night after 7 1/3. Gave up two runs, one earned, homer in 8th, 8 Ks. Still, great outing. Reds were obviously right to move him up this year. He did well.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-31-2006 at 09:41 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto tonight

Cueto's final line on MILB.com is 7 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Hendley allowed the two runs in the 8th inning.

Cueto allowed only one run over his last 30 innings this year. What a great finish to a great year for that young man. IMO, he is definitely one of the Reds top five prospects (Bailey, Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Wood) and possibly one of the best 100 prospects in baseball.

His final stats between Dayton and Sarasota look like this:

138 innings, 100 hits, 11 HR, 38 walks, 143 K's, 1.00 WHIP, 3.00 ERA

Looks like a future number two starter to me.

Thatta boy!!!!

Anyone still concerned about his size? The key is his athleticism. Small pitchers that have it can have extended success(Oswalt,Hudson for example) starting, while small pitchers that don't, usually go to the bullpen.

Well, the Reds have 2 2's in the system now with Bailey and Cueto, Wood will probably be a 3. I don't mind if the Reds don't get a true ace, as long as they have solid depth throughout the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Anyone still concerned about his size? The key is his athleticism. Small pitchers that have it can have extended success(Oswalt,Hudson for example) starting, while small pitchers that don't, usually go to the bullpen.

Well, the Reds have 2 2's in the system now with Bailey and Cueto, Wood will probably be a 3. I don't mind if the Reds don't get a true ace, as long as they have solid depth throughout the rotation.
    Homer Bailey is a #2?

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Homer Bailey is a #2?

Wow.
    OBM, I should comment, my standard of a "1" is higher than others. IMO, Homer doesn't have the type of "explosion" through the strikezone with his fastball that a real one would have. Homer has been compared to AJ Burnett a player that had the "potential" to be a one(never panned out). The key difference is the explosion Burnett gets with his 4 seamer through the strikezone.

Bailey IMO may become a 1 if he developes a 2 seamer. He really doesn't have the talent for 2 good pitches and a average one to be a true ace. He needs 3.

OBM, I should comment, my standard of a "1" is higher than others. IMO, Homer doesn't have the type of "explosion" through the strikezone with his fastball that a real one would have. Homer has been compared to AJ Burnett a player that had the "potential" to be a one(never panned out). The key difference is the explosion Burnett gets with his 4 seamer through the strikezone.

Bailey IMO may become a 1 if he developes a 2 seamer. He really doesn't have the talent for 2 good pitches and a average one to be a true ace. He needs 3.

Respectfully, I have to strongly disagree. The kid's a top level pitching prospect. He's an "ace" prospect if the Reds have ever had one.

No explosion through the zone? Tell that to the radar gun.

Respectfully, I'd have to say that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Homer doesn't have the type of "explosion" through the strikezone with his fastball that a real one would have.
    What do you mean by "explosion." Surely you're not talking about velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What do you mean by "explosion." Surely you're not talking about velocity?
    Late movement.

With Homer's smooth delivery and the way he can locate it's not much of a problem. The baseball pops out of his hand and he hides the ball great, somewhat like Harang.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

If Homer Bailey is NOT a potential #1 starter, then there really can't be any of them in the minor leagues right now. Felix Hernandez is already in the ML and Phillip Hughes is right at Bailey's level. Who else is there?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Cueto, according to minorleaguebaseball.com, has given up exactly one run in his last thirty innings. A fine way to finish his season; he has a combined 15-4 record and an ERA of around 3 between two levels.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Doc, i actually think Cuetos season ERA is exactly 3 between the two leagues. Not shabby at all for a guy who was on no ones radar prior to the beginning of the season.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Well the next three years will show us if Ward was the right one to trade off of our 4 actual solid pitching prospect. Wow, I still can't believe we have pitching prospects that I can get exctied about. 7 IP and 7 Ks sounds like some one I can get excited about. 1.00 WHIP, that's just beautiful

last 5 starts

Record 5-0
    ERA 0.30
    30IP/17H/5BB/27SO

Turn Off Ads?