Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayne Still At It...

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Wayne Still At It...

Tick-tock

SAN DIEGO -- Just had a very brief conversation with Wayne Krivsky. He and his staff remain in their offices at GABP.

"We're still working," he said.

God only knows what they might come up with in the final two hours, 15 minutes before the deadline, but they'll probably push it right to the end.

As for what we do know -- though Krivsky wouldn't even confirm this insignificant and unsurprising set of moves -- the Reds will activate Gary Majewski and Jason Standridge from the DL tomorrow and recall Brian Shackelford for his fifth stint with the big club this year. The three are en route to San Diego.

That's all I've got for now. But it ain't over 'til it's over.
    per Marc

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wayne Still At It...

*NOT HAPPENING* - We are getting Wells, and a few new bats. ya...

http://emoforest.ytmnd.com/ - EMO FOREST DISCOVERED!!
    Last edited by redsrule2500; 09-02-2006 at 12:38 AM.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    We are getting Wells, and a few new bats. ya...
    ESPNs website says Wells was traded to the Padres.

At least we won't be getting Phil Nevin .... again.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Minnesota Twins acquired first baseman Phil Nevin and cash from the Chicago Cubs Thursday night for a player to be named.
    The 35-year-old Nevin was already dealt once this season, moving from the Texas Rangers to the Cubs on May 31 for Jerry Hairston Jr. He was batting .274 with 12 homers and 33 RBIs in 179 at-bats for Chicago.
    With Rondell White struggling, the Twins have a hole at designated hitter and could use a productive bat with some pop in the bottom third of the lineup.
    This is Nevin’s seventh major league team in 12 career seasons.
    To make room for Nevin on the 40-man roster, Minnesota transferred outfielder Shannon Stewart from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
    The Twins also announced they will recall right-hander Scott Baker and catcher Chris Heintz and purchase the contract of infielder Alexi Casilla before Friday’s game at New York.
    Baker, 3-7 with a 6.93 ERA in two previous stints in the majors this year, is expected to start Saturday against the Yankees.

I Love Krivsky....in The Most Manly Way Possible....don't Judge Me!!!!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Well, who else is out there worth getting?!

Nobody, really.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Nobody, really.
    Nobody who's going to make any relevent difference.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Nobody, really.
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Krivsky and Co. are still at the office on a critical work day. This is only surprising and exciting because of what we are used to as Reds fans. The trade deadline and August 31 every year should be a busy time for the Reds front office whether the team is buying or selling. I get the feeling that the O'Brien front office was lights out and silent by COB on both dates every year. Krivsky may not wind up reeling in any fish, but it is heartening to see a GM actually doing his job.

On a related front, I love what this guy is doing for the Reds in terms of stocking pitching depth. When was the last time the Reds actually had some pitching depth that wasn't made up of reclamation projects, 6th year minor league FAs, or AA call ups -- 1999? In past years, Jason Johnson and Joe Mays would be the sows with lipstick that Don Gullett was supposed to turn into aces as he had done once or twice with past reclamation pieces. Those guys are in the minors where the belong to add depth or mop up if the Reds fall off of the planet. Krivsky did not trade Dumatrait or Bailey, which is huge, given that those two pitchers may be key pieces for the Reds next year (I know Wayne didn't acquire them, but he also didn't deal them at the deadline or call them up in June to bolster the big league club). He acquired some veteran arms for the pen who should actually perform well into the future (Bray, Majewski, Cormier (short term future), and he controls the future of Arroyo and Lohse beyond this season for the rotation. This guy may not be Midas as initially reported, but he is a solid GM who appears to work hard and think in terms of long-term and short-term strategy. As for the Kearns and Lopez deal, I think there is a little of the long-term, short-term there as well if you consider the price tags of those guys at season's end, especially the Boras-represented FeLo. Krivsky's a good guy to have running this club.

Nobody, really.

Couldn't disagree more. Lots of guys with big salaries are put on waivers. If a team is willing to pay the salary and part with a prospect, they can be had.

Based on Krivsky's comment yesterday (still working) and the activity tonight, my guess is that Krivsky is going after a major player with a sizeable contract. Never know if it will happen or not.

I don't think the Reds brass is at GABP going after a backup type.

Maybe the Reds are sellers?

Is Juan Beurenguer still available?

How about Terry Mulholland?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Two words...Jesse Orosco

you can never have enough lefties in the pen aparently
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Three words: Willie Mays Hayes. You can't have too many speedsters in the lineup.

Seven words:

Hot Dog order is on it's way.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thats the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?