Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's a new month...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: It's a new month...

Their job is a little harder now, but they've surprised me so far this season....they can certainly do it again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

If we cannot make it to the playoffs, our goal has to be to finish ahead of the Astros. If they finish ahead of us with their poor team, it would be more disappointing than not making it to the playoffs IMO.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

the team is missing a masher and/or doubles hitter who makes a lot of contact. it also seems to be missing a central driving force behind it...a lack of a Greg Vaughn or Barry Larkin or Pete Rose......or Sweet Lou.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    the team is missing a masher and/or doubles hitter who makes a lot of contact. it also seems to be missing a central driving force behind it...a lack of a Greg Vaughn or Barry Larkin or Pete Rose......or Sweet Lou.
    They're missing a pitcher that's hard to make good contact against as well. Harang misses bats, but he's very, very hittable (think latter-day Javy Vazquez). They need a Carpenter/Webb/Schmidt.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They're missing a pitcher that's hard to make good contact against as well. Harang misses bats, but he's very, very hittable (think latter-day Javy Vazquez). They need a Carpenter/Webb/Schmidt.
    they're missing in the pen as well. i only looked back through 2000, but no team has made the playoffs without having at least one (most had two) pitcher with a 9+ K rate out of the pen.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't know about that. He certainly has a whole lot of strikeouts.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You don't think that EE fills that spot? The kid has 31 doubles in 322 ABs. Grady Sizemore leads the ML in doubles with 48 and averages 1 double about every 11 ABs, EE is averaging 1 double about every 10.5 ABs. If there ever was a definition of a doubles machine......

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    You don't think that EE fills that spot? The kid has 31 doubles in 322 ABs. Grady Sizemore leads the ML in doubles with 48 and averages 1 double about every 11 ABs, EE is averaging 1 double about every 10.5 ABs. If there ever was a definition of a doubles machine......
    Encarnacion strikes out at a rate of every 6.07 PAs, which doesn't fall within the contact peremeter, EdE is neutral in that regard. the only power guy on the Reds who's like that.

think more along the lines of Nomar Garciaparra, Frank Catalanotto, or Jay Gibbons to get what i'm talking about. i think all lineups need two guys like that to win in the playoff format.

Encarnacion strikes out at a rate of every 6.07 PAs, which doesn't fall within the contact peremeter, EdE is neutral in that regard. the only power guy on the Reds who's like that.

think more along the lines of Nomar Garciaparra, Frank Catalanotto, or Jay Gibbons to get what i'm talking about. i think all lineups need two guys like that to win in the playoff format.
    He's also 23. Do you not think that his SO numbers will go down as he gets older? I guess I don't know if the general question "what are we missing?" was pertaining to this year or the future. I was talking more in terms of the future, although he's putting up great numbers now, IMO. As for this year we certainly do not have two of those type hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    He's also 23. Do you not think that his SO numbers will go down as he gets older?
    almost assuredly...as well as he gets older, you'll likely see his doubles and homeruns have an inverse relationship to one another. EdE is a special kind of player. he's not remotely what i was talking about for the offensive part.

As for this year we certainly do not have two of those type hitters.
    just for reference as to why i think this way:
    Lance Berkman, Craig Biggio, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, AJ Pierzynski
    Johnny Damon, Bill Mueller, Albert Pujols, Larry Walker, Edgar Renteria
    Juan Encarnacion, Mike Lowell, Jeff Conine, Derek Jeter, Hideki Matsui, Bernie Williams (sorta)
    Garrett Anderson, Scott Spiezio, Brad Fullmer, Barry Bonds, David Bell (that year anyway), Damon Minor
    Luis Gonzalez, Steve Finley, Mark Grace, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neil
    Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neil, Dave Justice, Edgardo Alfonzo, Todd Zeile, Jay Payton, Mike Piazza

Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    the team is missing a masher and/or doubles hitter who makes a lot of contact.
    Sean Casey always batted for a high average, hit a lot of doubles, had very few strikeouts, but very few valued his contribution(s) because he didn't have enough HRs or RBIs.

I'd think everyone would be loving EE; his "mashing" and 68 RBI in only 92 games (322 ABs) more than makes up for his strikeouts... and he'll only get better.

I agree with Razor Shines.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Recent Septembers...

* 11-19 record for the month (incl. 2G in Oct).
    * 22 games back of Cards at start of month.
    * Some starters: Ortiz, Keisler, Hudson.

* 14-17 record for the month (incl. 3G in Oct).
    * 25 games back of Cards at start of month.
    * Some starters: Hancock, Hudson, Van Poppel.

* 10-16 record for the month.
    * 13 games back of Cards at start of month.
    * Some starters: Etherton, Bale, Serafini, Hall, Van Poppel, Randall, Reith.

Here's to a better September!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

It's already better... 5 games back of the Cards (and a 1-0 record LOL).

Turn Off Ads?