Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The key to April

The key to April

I've been looking at the Reds stats and trying to figure out what is the difference today than back in April.

April
    Batting .267/.468/.831
    Pitching 17-8 4.85 ERA
    12 home & 13 away

August
    Batting .253/.443/.770
    Pitching 12-17 4.70 ERA
    16 home & 13 away

What does everyone think is the defference; batting, pitching, bench, fielding, managing, teams played, etc.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The key to April

For the most part (and there are a handful of games which would be the exception) it's a lack of TIMELY hitting. Although defense may have played into it (e.g. I can't watch the game, but I wonder how close Clayton was to fielding Maddux run scoring hit.

10-3 in close games (decided by 1 or 2 runs) in April.

6-6 in close games in August.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Agree that timely hitting is a big key, but could be mostly due to the bench. Our best bench hitters are now playing everyday. There is a reason Freel, Hatty and Rich are bench players. I think they all need rest. Look for tomorrow, after the day off, for better timely hitting. There are a few more days off in September, so hopefully they start to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Agree that timely hitting is a big key, but could be mostly due to the bench. Our best bench hitters are now playing everyday. There is a reason Freel, Hatty and Rich are bench players. I think they all need rest. Look for tomorrow, after the day off, for better timely hitting. There are a few more days off in September, so hopefully they start to shine.
    Hmmmm... for those people who have real jobs, there are no bench "players" to spell everyday "players". For most people, they are expected to do their job and do it right regardless of how tired they are. How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year?

I don't buy into the whole idea that bench players cannot play everyday because they get too tired. If 1 day of rest will solve their hitting problems, then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes.

How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year?
    That has nothing to do with the rigors of baseball day in and day out ofr 7 months.

then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes
    They're not... they're Baseball Players.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That has nothing to do with the rigors of baseball day in and day out ofr 7 months.
    The point is... the season is NOW. They have all the time the world to rest in the off-season. I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off

They're not... they're Baseball Players.
    So, you're saying Baseball isn't a sport? Last time I checked, you have to be considered an athlete to play a sport, or maybe it's vice versa... if you play a sport, you're considered an athlete. Either way, if they are not athletes, then they must not be playing a sport

Quote Originally Posted by GitRDunn View Post
    The point is... the season is NOW. They have all the time the world to rest in the off-season. I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off

They don't say to themselves..."Gee, I'm tired, I need a week off," their body tells them this. That is why a lot of guys go to lighter bats in August bc their arms are a bit more tired than they were in April.

Those jobs that are tough that you mention; I bet they start to slow and tire as the months go on. People who do physical labor naturally get tired.

***This has nothing to do with my argument of why they are doing worse, I was just jumping in on the "tired" argument.

As far as why they aren't playing as well, I just think some guys were a bit of their head. Sometimes players slump at bad times. Sometimes the WHOLE team gets the "oh man, we suck" attitude. And I think that is what we have. Earlier in the year, they were having fun, Dunn was hitting well, Griffey was hitting OK in April. I think Adam Dunn is the key to our offensive success, and he just hasn't been there lately.

I can think of several other jobs more grueling than baseball that people in the real world have to do with only 2 weeks off
    Just several?

I can think of many, however it doesn't diminish the argument that the baseball season is a grueling drain.

You're comparing apples and bricks.

You're comparing apples and bricks.
    Is that anything like comparing an Ernest Borgnine to a George Kennedy?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 08-31-2006 at 07:02 PM.

BaseballBum

The "key" to April is not that complicated. Out of the 26 games they played that month, only three games were played against a team that has a winning record. (Cards).

Walks seem to be another key difference.

April
    122 BB in 25 games = 4.9 per game
    pitching allowed 75 = 3.0 per game
    almost 2 walks a game more

August
    98 BB in 29 games = 3.4 per game
    pitching allowed 108 = 3.7 per game
    about half a walk less

Teams know how to pitch to the Reds now, just throw strikes and get ahead in the count. The Reds pitchers have done the opposite.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by GitRDunn View Post
    Hmmmm... for those people who have real jobs, there are no bench "players" to spell everyday "players". For most people, they are expected to do their job and do it right regardless of how tired they are. How many people in the real world have 4+ months off their job every year?

I don't buy into the whole idea that bench players cannot play everyday because they get too tired. If 1 day of rest will solve their hitting problems, then perhaps we shouldn't consider these guys athletes.
    come on, do you have any idea what it takes to get in shape for a major league season, these guys don't get four months off, they go through workouts that would make the average man cry. Go out and play softball everyday for two weeks and see how you feel, and thats softball. How many times have you had to work two hours after you were supposed to go home then hopped on a plane to go and stay in a hotel in a different time zone, sleep for a couple hours and then head to work to take batting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Is that anything like comparing an Ernest Borgnine to a George Kennedy?
    Or Ricardo Montelban to Garth Alger of Wayne's World?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Walks seem to be another key difference.

April
    122 BB in 25 games = 4.9 per game
    pitching allowed 75 = 3.0 per game
    almost 2 walks a game more

August
    98 BB in 29 games = 3.4 per game
    pitching allowed 108 = 3.7 per game
    about half a walk less

Teams know how to pitch to the Reds now, just throw strikes and get ahead in the count. The Reds pitchers have done the opposite.
    A lot of us here have referred to the Reds lack of timely hitting, myself included.

I wonder how RISP average has differed from April to August?

I've looked, but can't seem to figure out where to find that stat.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?