Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Team USA Basketball Loses

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Team USA Basketball Loses

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Honestly, I'm not surprised by it. We don't have the shooters we need right now. The International game is SO much different than the NBA. We play horrible defense, can't shoot the long-ball and had a very hard time adjusting to the zone defenses.

While most casual basketball fans will probably blast them, I don't think it's all bad. By the olympics we'll have had a lot more time to gel as a team and let the players work with eachother. They will also have better shooters like Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups and Mike Redd back if they choose to play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Team USA Basketball Loses

The NBA game is different that basketball. It's a hybrid of basketball and streetball. It works great for the NBA, but we'll continue to come up short in international competition.

The rest of the world has developed the athletes to compete with us, but their fundamentals and discipline puts them over the top. We've regressed to the point that a simple pick and roll is more than we can handle.

I would honestly like to see a team of American college all-stars practice together and play in an international competition. To be honest, I like their chances better than the current options.

Tyrus Thomas
    Glenn Davis
    Adam Morrison
    Sheldon Williams
    JJ Redick
    Aaron Gray
    Jordan Farmar

Add another PG and some good guys off the bench, and let's get at them. I'd like to see how they could have done. Pure athleticism isn't going to get it done anymore.
    Last edited by guttle11; 09-01-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    The NBA game is different that basketball. It's a hybrid of basketball and streetball. It works great for the NBA...
    But doesn't work for me anymore. I'll take two Div. III women's teams playing each other over the current NBA any day of the week. I used to like the NBA when I was younger. I guess I sort of lost my taste for it right after Michael Jordan retired (for good... the 2nd time). Loved it back in the day when the Bird-led Celtics and Magic-led Lakers were playing. Myabe I am just a crotchety old-fart?!?

Actually I am a big fan of the men's college game. I hope it does not become like the NBA. In some ways it has (shot-clock, 3-point line). However, I think the shot clock was good for the game and is not ridiculously short like the NBA's 24 seconds. I wish they would move the 3-point line back and make it worth the while.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

At one time, I actually cared about such things. Professional basketball is barely on my radar now.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I watched it. I was rooting pretty hard for USA to win it.

Greece just pulled shots out of their ass the whole game and USA could not contain the pick and roll.

At least we've got an actual program now.

USA must now qualify for the Olympics at the Tournament of the Americas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

At least this year's USA team was an attempt to build a "team" as opposed to a bunch of reluctant stars that didn't really care.

I didn't see the game, but this team actually has some decent defenders on paper. They'll be alright.

The loss might be a blessing in disguise. Might get the guys to practice more and provide some motivation. Better to lose now than in the Olympics.

IIRC, they did well in their earlier round games, despite shooting poorly from the 3 point range. That will come around.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    At least this year's USA team was an attempt to build a "team" as opposed to a bunch of reluctant stars that didn't really care.

I didn't see the game, but this team actually has some decent defenders on paper. They'll be alright.

The loss might be a blessing in disguise. Might get the guys to practice more and provide some motivation. Better to lose now than in the Olympics.

IIRC, they did well in their earlier round games, despite shooting poorly from the 3 point range. That will come around.
    Good estimations, REDREAD! I think you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    But doesn't work for me anymore. I'll take two Div. III women's teams playing each other over the current NBA any day of the week. I used to like the NBA when I was younger. I guess I sort of lost my taste for it right after Michael Jordan retired (for good... the 2nd time). Loved it back in the day when the Bird-led Celtics and Magic-led Lakers were playing. Myabe I am just a crotchety old-fart?!?

Actually I am a big fan of the men's college game. I hope it does not become like the NBA. In some ways it has (shot-clock, 3-point line). However, I think the shot clock was good for the game and is not ridiculously short like the NBA's 24 seconds. I wish they would move the 3-point line back and make it worth the while.
    That makes for an exciting 34 - 30 match up, final score.

Granted, I can't stand the current NBA, which is a glorified game of one on one, or if you're not a "playmaker/slasher", then you'll chuck it up all over the gym 20 times a game, roughly making 7 of them. Stellar.

Unfortunately, the men's college game is becoming more individualized as well. They should move the college 3 pt line back to the NBA numbers, to discourage your run of the mill shooter from trying to make a name for himself as a gunslinger.

Pretty soon, a two-handed pass of any kind, bounce or chest, will go the way of the dinosaurs.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That makes for an exciting 34 - 30 match up, final score.
    Yep, I guess I was exagerrating a bit!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?