Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe there is a reason that

Maybe there is a reason that

KGJ has never won anything. He won't run out ground balls and he gives up on balls that should be caught. He is supposed to be a leader and you lead by example. His effort is highly questionable to me once again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybe there is a reason that

I usually do NOT agree with statements like this but tonight his running to first was incredible. He should be ashamed. It is becoming a major problem.

In case you didn't see: Todd Walker's bobble alone should have told Jr. to speed up but instead he continued jogging even when Todd's throw pulled the 1B off of the bag...He stayed off of the bag just long enough (about a second or two) for Jr. to get to first while never speeding up. It was a joke.

My 11 year old was even questioning Jr. and he never does that...

(I do not agree with the never wins anything comment)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I dislike seeing any player not give 100% but in Griffeys case I could care less. If he were to injure his leg again and have to go under the knife for the umpteenth time, I wouldnt be suprised if he just hung it up and retired and really who could blame him?? I would rather have Griffey in the lineup not running out ground balls as opposed to a Griffey sitting at home retired.

I think he is under orders not to run out grounders at full speed or play daredevil in the field. The Reds want to at least get the power production for their money for the remainder of this deal, and that's not going to happen when he tears a hammy running out a topper to second. I've seen him turn it on to score on doubles, and I've held my breath every time. I have absolutely no problem with the way Junior plays the game. Do you guys have a short memory?

Now, why he hasn't been moved to a corner outfield position is another matter altogether.

Tonight and the drop 3rd k were both pathetic. However, I think this will be the last time I post on his laziness because it is old news. He did it two seasons ago all the time, one epecially bad @ the Cubs (the year he didn't hit a HR til April 30 or so), then had a great few months.

He is what he is. I hear he puts in A TON of effort before games to be a better hitter (don't know how much that shows) and that he has a great work ethic, so I think he is just trying to play it safe on plays like that.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 09-02-2006 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Tonight and the drop 3rd k were both pathetic. However, I think this will be the last time I post on his laziness because it is old news. He did it two seasons ago all the time, one epecially bad @ the Cubs (the year he didn't hit a HR til April 30 or so), then had a great few months.

He is what he is. I hear he puts in A TON of effort before games to be a better hitter (don't know how much that shows) and that he has a great work ethic, so I think he is just trying to play it safe on plays like that.
    I agree, and I agree with Santo on the fact that maybe he is told to play that way, but that's something we probably will not know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BlfdVaFan View Post
    KGJ has never won anything.
    Am I reading this wrong? KGJr has never won anything?????

You must live in a vacuum.... or are very very very young.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    I agree, and I agree with Santo on the fact that maybe he is told to play that way, but that's something we probably will not know for sure.

to tell ya the truth, even if he is told not to play that way, well the mentality and baseball player in him or anybody in this case should step up and naturally give that extra percent, so in this case, I truly believe that he is just gimping it along and not being actually told not give it his all. Again, with Narron managing, Griff gets away with this....if someone like Sweet Lou were there or even a Joe Girardi and God forbid say an Ozzie Guillen, good lord, I would hate to see what would brew between griff and those fellas.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Am I reading this wrong? KGJr has never won anything?????

You must live in a vacuum.... or are very very very young.
    Ok, being only 25, maybe I fall into the very very very young category, since I can only remember KGJ in the playoffs once vs. the Yankees, IIRC. What has KGJ won?

He was the 1997 AL MVP, the 1992 All-Star Game MVP, 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Slugger Awards, 4 single season Home Run titles, and 12-time All Star. I believe that that is what TeamBoone and everybody else who says he has won things are referring to....

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    He was the 1997 AL MVP, the 1992 All-Star Game MVP, 10 Gold Gloves, 7 Silver Slugger Awards, 4 single season Home Run titles, and 12-time All Star. I believe that that is what TeamBoone and everybody else who says he has won things are referring to....
    Individual achievement does not correlate to team achievement. See Rodriguez, Alex.

Paint me a pinko commie, but All-Star Game MVPs and All-Star Game nominations mean zip to me. Perceived popularity contests, glorified beauty pagents.

When was the last time KGJ won a Gold Glove?

When was the last time KGJ won a Silver Slugger?

When was the last time KGJ won anything post 1999?

I guess if there is one thing KGJ could potentially be in the running, call it best to never win a World Series. I know there were better than him in that category, but he's still in that club. I guess Ted Williams needs some company.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Individual achievement does not correlate to team achievement. See Rodriguez, Alex.

Paint me a pinko commie, but All-Star Game MVPs and All-Star Game nominations mean zip to me. Perceived popularity contests, glorified beauty pagents.

When was the last time KGJ won a Gold Glove?

When was the last time KGJ won a Silver Slugger?

When was the last time KGJ won anything post 1999?

I guess if there is one thing KGJ could potentially be in the running, call it best to never win a World Series. I know there were better than him in that category, but he's still in that club. I guess Ted Williams needs some company.
    I was just answering the question of what Griffey has won. There was no specifications set to it other than what Griffey had won. I won't deny some of the points you have made, but originally the question asked was what he had won....no biggie....

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    to tell ya the truth, even if he is told not to play that way, well the mentality and baseball player in him or anybody in this case should step up and naturally give that extra percent, so in this case, I truly believe that he is just gimping it along and not being actually told not give it his all. Again, with Narron managing, Griff gets away with this....if someone like Sweet Lou were there or even a Joe Girardi and God forbid say an Ozzie Guillen, good lord, I would hate to see what would brew between griff and those fellas.
    Yes it is pure speculation as to whether he is told to do anything or if he is doing it on his own. That's a play that almost always gets made without an incident, and he was still safe. I don't understand what you are getting at by saying "he's just gimping it along", do you mean he's not trying to get on base or that he doesn't care? People who know do say that he works very hard.

And since we're all speculating, I'll throw my opinion out there that it wouldn't be much different with any of those managers. You're talking about one of the greatest players in the history of the game here (if he had stayed healthy perhaps the greatest) and you don't get there without hard work no matter how talented you are. And great players, not just good, are usually treated differently than normal players. Red Arbach was known for this. And as long as Jr. is working hard to help this team, I have no problem with him taking it easy on obvious outs to stay in the line-up. He had an 0fer tonight but he hit the ball hard and he hit well in August.

KGJ Is Passed Is Prime But He's Still A Good Ball Player..... Don't Tell Me That Pitchers Want To Pitch To Him....They Still Never Do......He Probably Won't Win Another One Of Those Awards But He's Always Above Average...I Want To Hear One Pitcher That Will Want To Pitch To Him

Ken Griffey Jr never won anything? So what. He has played on some bad teams. Last I checked, there were 24 other players on EVERY team he has ever been on. Ever think that maybe they had something to do with him never winning something? If you put Babe Ruth on the 1927 Reds, would he have not been good because they wouldnt have won something? Of course not. Baseball is a team game, and no matter how good one player is, he cant win the game for you single handedly....much less a division, DS or CS or WS. It doesnt work that way.

Turn Off Ads?