Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Point - Counterpoint

Re: Point - Counterpoint

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    Nobody has implied that Homer can be an ace? I say they have. People do it all the time.
    No one has implied that someone with "potential" is "guaranteed success". Those are the words used by Ltlabner and now you've diluted them down to "...implied that Homer can be an ace..."

You've translated the demand of "guaranteed success" into an "implication of could be".

Nobody said YOU feel this way Steel but your responses seem as though this thread has struck a nerve.
    Alas, I have a weakness for burning down strawmen and smacking people with their own fabricated hall monitor badges. Sue me.

I don't believe anyone interpreted his 12:00 on their 30th birthday line to be a direct quote from anyone. To me he simply meant that it seems a lot of guys are put out to pasture once they reach 30. But you blow up and say that nobody has ever said anything close to that.
    That's simply another dilution of what the Ltlabner actually posted. And I'm not sure why you give him so little credit. He's capable of posting what he actually means rather than relying on other to translate his words into what he actually meant. You might think you're helping by diluting those strawmen to the point where they actually would make sense had he typed your words in place of his, but that's a support of my position rather than his. Good work. Really.

Your right, I didn't enter this thread to talk baseball. I entered this thread because I saw a pretty harsh overreaction to a guy posting some, "random thoughts" that didn't mention you or anyone else.
    Put the fake hall monitor badge down and back away slowly. And please refrain from acting as if you're fighting someone else's battle. You're fighting yours and you darned well know it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winters View Post
    Wow. That was condescending. Is this how you guys treat each other around here all of the time?
    Bob, I've sent you a Private Message (PM). Check your PM box.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm not translating anything any more than you are. You have an interpretation of what Ltlabner said and so do I. To me when someone casually says Homer will be our ace in two years based on nothing more than their potential to be our ace in two years, that is the same exact thing as guaranteeing success. Being an ace of a club is success. Especially if that club has Aaron Harrang. I'm not trying to dilute anything. I'm trying to say the exact same thing.

I know Ltlabner can speak for himself and I am sure he will clear this up when he gets here and though I am sure you will still argue, I think he will make it clear that you are going a little far with his comments.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 09-03-2006 at 12:22 AM.

I'm not translating anything any more than you are. You have an interpretation of what Ltlabner said and so do I.
    Yeah. You are completely diluting what was actually typed:

Players over 30 are not useless and don't turn into a pumpkin when the clock strikes 12:00 as some try to imply.

Clear Message: "Some people imply that players 30 years of age and older are useless."

Who has implied that players 30 and older are "useless"? Contrary to your continued efforts, the answer is "no one".

To me when someone casually says Homer will be our ace in two years based on nothing more than their potential to be our ace in two years, that is the same exact thing as guaranteeing success. Being an ace of a club is success. Especially if that club has Aaron Harrang. I'm not trying to dilute anything. I'm trying to say the exact same thing.
    Then, again, my question to you is "Who is saying that Homer Bailey will be a guaranteed ace based on the potential that he could be an ace?"

Go find some examples for gosh sakes. That's all I ever ask from someone I'm debating. Find the evidence.

I know Ltlabner can speak for himself and I am sure he will clear this up when he gets here and though I am sure you will still argue, I think he will make it clear that you are going a little far with his comments.
    If that's what you really think then why was your intervention required in the first place? And yeah, that's as rhetorical as a question gets.

--Ted Williams

I didn't do any speaking for Ltlabner in the first place. I was talking to you about your belief that you know what EVERYONE in the world is thinking or has ever said.

I then went on to stick up for Ltlabner when I thought you were going overboard on your interpretations of what he said. As I have now learned from your PM, you have quite a personal problem with Ltlabner which more than explains your reaction to his thread.

I didn't do any speaking for Ltlabner in the first place. I was talking to you about your belief that you know what EVERYONE in the world is thinking or has ever said.
    I see. I know what everyone in the world is thinking or has ever said.

Yeah. Wriggle yourself out of that one.

I then went on to stick up for Ltlabner when I thought you were going overboard on your interpretations of what he said. As I have now learned from your PM, you have quite a personal problem with Ltlabner which more than explains your reaction to his thread.
    You have a PM response on that. Let's just say that you've dramatically misrepresented what that forwarded PM actually said. But see...the real problem is that PM information should NEVER be shared in a public forum because that practice dilutes the PM process as a valid way to solve issues. That's a behavioral issue and it's all yours. It's far more severe (to infinity) than your original personal attack in this thread.

--Ted Williams

Twice you stated that NOBODY had cited the things Ltlabner mentioned in his post. My response was my way of saying, how do you know what everyone has or hasn't said? I don't know where the guy got his opinions but I give him the benefit of the doubt. At the least you could respectfully as him to more clearly define himself instead of forcefully saying, NOBODY had said those things.

If you don't want the backstabbing info you send thru the PM system to be passed along to the party it was about, I'd be a little more careful who you send those PMs to next time. That is no ones fault but your own.

Twice you stated that NOBODY had cited the things Ltlabner mentioned in his post. My response was my way of saying, how do you know what everyone has or hasn't said? I don't know where the guy got his opinions but I give him the benefit of the doubt. At the least you could respectfully as him to more clearly define himself instead of forcefully saying, NOBODY had said those things.
    No one has posted the things Ltlabner claimed they did. If your point was to defend his position, you've have been able to find concrete examples. But you didn't and you can't, which is why you began diluting his position and attacking the poster rather than focusing on the content of the posts.

At no point do I have a responsibility to ask anyone to more clearly define anything considering that what was posted was already clearly defined.

If you don't want the backstabbing info you send thru the PM system to be passed along to the party it was about, I'd be a little more careful who you send those PMs to next time. That is no ones fault but your own.
    I have a responsibility to NEVER post the contents of a Private Message. There's no wiggle room for you in that respect. None. Everyone but you can see that. The character and behavioral flaws are yours and yours alone.

And I'd fully expect to see this thread closed soon. Another thread closure notch on your belt. Problem is that getting threads closed isn't exactly a badge of honor.

--Ted Williams

Take this stuff private.

Turn Off Ads?