Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good call Reds on Nick Markakis

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Good call Reds on Nick Markakis

That $250k Bowden and Lindner wouldn't pony up after drafting this kid not once but twice looks incredibly, amazingly stupid right now.

Markakis struggled the first month of the season, but has found his feet and now has been absolute monster over the last month near the top of all of baseball with a 1123OPS.

At 22, with rookie season numbers that look like this and climbing

.309BA/.368OBP/.483SLG/.851OPS

Pretty hard to swallow for Reds fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good call Reds on Nick Markakis

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    That $250k Bowden and Lindner wouldn't pony up after drafting this kid not once but twice looks incredibly, amazingly stupid right now.

Markakis struggled the first month of the season, but has found his feet and now has been absolute monster over the last month near the top of all of baseball with a 1123OPS.

At 22, with rookie season numbers that look like this and climbing

.309BA/.368OBP/.483SLG/.851OPS

Pretty hard to swallow for Reds fans.
    Agreed...I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams a few weeks ago and he has been my best performing OF...Just dumb luck for me but still...I'll take it!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Meh, nothing Rich Aurilla isn't already doing
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

In 4 years Markakis will still be getting better, Rich will be retired.
    Go Gators!

You have to keep in mind that the Reds were looking at Markakis as a pitcher and not a hitter, much like most other MLB teams at the time. IIRC, when Baltimore picked him and said they were going to have him be an outfielder Baseball America talked about how other teams were stunned at the decision.

In all honesty, it's hard to tell where he'd be at as a pitcher.

They wanted to have Markakis and eat it too.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Agreed...I picked him up on one of my fantasy teams a few weeks ago and he has been my best performing OF...Just dumb luck for me but still...I'll take it!
    I picked him up a few weeks back as well. He has been lighting it up.

Man Pills

These failures have stopped hurting. A decade of missed opportunities has taught me that failures come in bunches.

The irony about this angst is that the Reds then (Bowden/Lindner) is not the Reds today (Krivsky/Castellini), so it's water under the bridge really.

The move saved $$$$$$$ and really thats all that Uncle Carl wanted.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    These failures have stopped hurting. A decade of missed opportunities has taught me that failures come in bunches.
    How true!!

A doctor is sitting at a bar having a drink. Bartender comes over and says "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this... (quickly raising and lowering his arm) Doc looks at the bartender, pauses, smiles and says "Well, don't do that anymore"
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

The Reds did offer him a reasonable contract for what he had done to that point. It's not like they were low balling him.

You can't offer every pick $250,000 more just because they hold out. It's pretty dissapointing with how it turned out, but I seem to rememeber that most posters felt that the decision at the time to hold the line was a reasonable one.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    The move saved $$$$$$$ and really thats all that Uncle Carl wanted.
    Exactly. That bastard just wanted to bleed every cent he could out of the organization before he resold the team. Good riddance to him. In a few years, as his life is about to end, I hope he realizes that the obscene amount of money he made on the Reds (at taxpayer expense) didn't really bring him any more happiness after all, and that his legacy as owner is summed up by the booing he recieved on opening day. It's going to take years for the team to recover from Allen and Lindner's damage.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

IIRC, the Reds were going to sign him as a pitcher. Wonder how that might have worked. I know he was a pitcher in JC and most teams seem to like his future on the mound.

As a drafnt-and-follow player and with a system devoid of talent, giving him an extra 250K should have been a no-brainer.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    IIRC, the Reds were going to sign him as a pitcher. Wonder how that might have worked.
    They would have left Markakis out in the rain.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?