Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Oliver Perez HAS to be injured

Oliver Perez HAS to be injured

How does a guy go from a 7.7 H9/+9 K9 in the minors to exploding to a 1.83 WHIP, +7 ERA and 102 hits in 84 innings?
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Oliver Perez HAS to be injured

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    How does a guy go from a 7.7 H9/+9 K9 in the minors to exploding to a 1.83 WHIP, +7 ERA and 102 hits in 84 innings?
    Could be a Rick Ankiel thing?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

The Padres rushed and abused his young arm. When he was twenty years old, it was obvious he had poor mechanics. Rather than work on his mechanical problems, they broought him up, pitched him, then traded him.

I watched him pitch against the Cardinals when he was a rookie (2001?) and couldn't believe the Padres were pitching (rushing) a twenty year old into the bigs with his mechanics. Really, he had electric stuff. He had an above average fastball and a power curve with a nice rotation, but he was brought along much too quickly.

I suspected there were questions in the Padre organization about his future when they included him in the Giles' package. Why would they include a young lefthanded starter with electric stuff in a trade for an outfielder who really had only one team interested in hs services?

Really a sad story and I hope the Reds handle Bailey with more care, especially after last night.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

You would think if he were injured that the medical staff in PIT and NYC would have discovered it by now. I know some injuries are hard to detect but someone should have found something out by now. If his velocity is down, I can think of a couple of reasons why. First, he may be injured but no one has found anything wrong with him. Second, he started stinking just last year. They really started cracking down on steroids last year. I hate to paint these guys with such a broad brush but it was not just hitters who were on the juice. Pitchers were doing it too. Now maybe these guys do not look like a WWE wrestler but we have seen time and again guys fail these tests and they are not that huge.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You would think if he were injured that the medical staff in PIT and NYC would have discovered it by now. I know some injuries are hard to detect but someone should have found something out by now. If his velocity is down, I can think of a couple of reasons why. First, he may be injured but no one has found anything wrong with him. Second, he started stinking just last year. They really started cracking down on steroids last year. I hate to paint these guys with such a broad brush but it was not just hitters who were on the juice. Pitchers were doing it too. Now maybe these guys do not look like a WWE wrestler but we have seen time and again guys fail these tests and they are not that huge.
    My thoughts exactly, Chip. Too many have fallen from grace since steriods have been watched more closely. My guess is that a lot more players were involved than we'll ever know.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

steroids?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Oli's velocity declined at the end of the 04 season, right before he started complaining of elbow pain. if memory serves, Legendary Lloyd and Spin Williams wanted to shut him down the last month and a half of the season, but Perez and Littlefield decided against it. September of that year saw a sharp spike in Perez's ERA and especially his HR/9.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Steroids or HGH is still a gigantic problem. Look at some of the stars in baseball today. These guys have all the tell tale signs of steriod abuse. Major changes in physical growth and skills that are literally unbelieveable. I see a certain player in Boston as the worst abuser of our time. Takes fastballs a foot high and outside and pulls them 450 feet. It's just not possible.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Could be a Rick Ankiel thing?
    I suspect it's more of a Mark Fidrych thing.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I saw his first start with the Mets. He was dealing early and his velocity was fine. He started relying on his slider by the 4th inning and was falling behind every hitter. His stuff still looks pretty good. Perhaps he'll be converted to the bullpen?

Turn Off Ads?