Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

Its not surprising that the offense struggled in big ballparks that favor BA driven teams. It would have been nice to go .500, but now we still find ourselves a winning streak away from making this whole week and a half forgettable and ahead in the WC race again. If we could just get David Ross convinced that he should not try a pick off play at second on an attempted bunt...
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    You mean the team picked to finish 6th in a 6 team divison?
    So if Wayne dealt Dunn, Bailey and Arroyo to Washington it would be ok since they were picked to finish 6th?

A big problem around here is that Bob pledged to add payroll if they were in a pennant race. That, I guess, equates to Cormier, Lohse and Schoeneweis. Say what you will about the "market" and how slim the pickings were. But truth be told, LA and the NYY added payroll and Lieber is still in Philly. There were players out there for the taking and no prospects like Bailey had to be traded. We got the dregs.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I didn't for a second think this team was a 6th place team after the Arroyo acquisition. In fact, I predicted a third place team.
    Does your arm hurt from all the patting yourself on the back you do on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The myopia on this board is simply borderline asinine.

Yeah, let's give one season, that started in March for crying out loud, who has brought in everybody and their uncle to try to fix something, though his "worst" trade are guys who get sent basically home to Mommy so they can OPS under .800 in a huge ball park.

Thank goodness we don't run baseball clubs around here. We'd get laughed off the planet and likened to Trader Frank Lane. One man's Harvey Kuenn is another man's treasure.
    Yeah, let's give Krivsky a free pass for trading away two of our best trading chips for total crap. You bring up Lopez and Kearns's OPS, but you failed to mention how bad Bray and Majewski have pitched, and how horrible Clayton has been. Like you said, thank goodness we don't run clubs around here because people seem to think it's OK to get ripped off in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yeah, let's give Krivsky a free pass for trading away two of our best trading chips for total crap. You bring up Lopez and Kearns's OPS, but you failed to mention how bad Bray and Majewski have pitched, and how horrible Clayton has been. Like you said, thank goodness we don't run clubs around here because people seem to think it's OK to get ripped off in trades.
    Bray pitched decently through his first 3 weeks and hit the rookie wall. That should be no surprise. Maj is the disaster which caused the controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    So if Wayne dealt Dunn, Bailey and Arroyo to Washington it would be ok since they were picked to finish 6th?
    No, it wouldn't be *Okay* but then again it wouldn't be the same team that was picked to finish sixth would it?

Just like the team that's flying home right now isn't the same team that FCB claimed he picked to finish 3rd, now that team had WMP and Tony Womack on it and exactly 2 BP guys under 32. So I guess we'll never know where that team would have ended up.

Did you actually just compare the Reds to the Yankees and Dodgers and use the word "payroll" in there?

That's humerous....

So some of you are really ready to fire Krivsky 6 weeks removed from a trade? Not to mention that it was one move. I would be the first to admit the Kearns/Lopez deal is looking horrible and if Krivsky was able to pull Arroyo for WMP he should have been able to get much more for Kearns/Lopez. I understand the reason so many people are upset with that, but to fire him come on thats a little premature. Like I said I still have a bigger problem with his extension of Narrons contract.
    One more thing how many of you so upset with Krivsky are forgetting that it was Krivsky who got Dunn signed. You know the thing O'Brien couldnt do in two years or Kullman in a month, Krivsky did in a week or so.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    So some of you are really ready to fire Krivsky 6 weeks removed from a trade? Not to mention that it was one move. I would be the first to admit the Kearns/Lopez deal is looking horrible and if Krivsky was able to pull Arroyo for WMP he should have been able to get much more for Kearns/Lopez. I understand the reason so many people are upset with that, but to fire him come on thats a little premature. Like I said I still have a bigger problem with his extension of Narrons contract.
    One more thing how many of you so upset with Krivsky are forgetting that it was Krivsky who got Dunn signed. You know the thing O'Brien couldnt do in two years or Kullman in a month, Krivsky did in a week or so.

Speaking only for myself, I want Wayne replaced based on much more than simply "the trade."

Smarter people than I saw DanO's faults before I did. Well before his first few months were up. I've now seen Wayne for nearly a season, and I dislike his instincts and predilections. The only positive thing I can say about him is that he doesn't avoid risks.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, it wouldn't be *Okay* but then again it wouldn't be the same team that was picked to finish sixth would it?

Just like the team that's flying home right now isn't the same team that FCB claimed he picked to finish 3rd, now that team had WMP and Tony Womack on it and exactly 2 BP guys under 32. So I guess we'll never know where that team would have ended up.

Did you actually just compare the Reds to the Yankees and Dodgers and use the word "payroll" in there?

That's humerous....
    What's even more humerous is that Bob pledged to add payroll and got us garbage. Did he think the team had no shot and therefore made some ludicrous statement in the spring thinking it would never come true?

When someone says "add payroll", they usually mean "make the team better." Krivsky and Co. did not make the team better at the deadline. He acquired a bunch of retreads from other teams. I didn't think we needed Abreu, but how about Maddux? Lidle? Lieber? Nope, we got Franklin, Schoeneweis and Lohse.

I wasn't comparing LA and NY to Cincy, but the biggest argument has been "there was nothing available." I pointed to LA and NY as examples that there was, as long as you were willing to spend. And, as I have been saying for months, Bob has not shown that willingness yet. Unless you consider Lohse and Cormier's ridiculous contract extension as proving the financial committment of Castellini.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What's even more humerous is that Bob pledged to add payroll and got us garbage. Did he think the team had no shot and therefore made some ludicrous statement in the spring thinking it would never come true?

When someone says "add payroll", they usually mean "make the team better." Krivsky and Co. did not make the team better at the deadline. He acquired a bunch of retreads from other teams. I didn't think we needed Abreu, but how about Maddux? Lidle? Lieber? Nope, we got Franklin, Schoeneweis and Lohse.

I wasn't comparing LA and NY to Cincy, but the biggest argument has been "there was nothing available." I pointed to LA and NY as examples that there was, as long as you were willing to spend. And, as I have been saying for months, Bob has not shown that willingness yet. Unless you consider Lohse and Cormier's ridiculous contract extension as proving the financial committment of Castellini.
    They gave Lohse an extension?!

Oops, never mind--I obviously can't grasp basic grammar: you didn't say "Lohse" in the possessive. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-03-2006 at 09:41 PM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

In March I peggedthis team for 6th only because there were 6 teams in the division. Ill take the progress this year, the new attitude surrounding the club and go forward.

Beats the yearly kick in the coin purse Reds fans have been getting for years.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    In March I peggedthis team for 6th only because there were 6 teams in the division. Ill take the progress this year, the new attitude surrounding the club and go forward.

Beats the yearly kick in the coin purse Reds fans have been getting for years.
    I imagine DanO's 73 win team of last year would have been good for 4th place this season. So, improvement is relative.

This team is headed to a 78 win season, 5 win "improvement" over last year. And in a worse position to make a splash this offseason as compared to last. Color me bitterly disappointed.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-03-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yes, because if Kearns and Lopez hit their summer swoon in Cincinnati, and there was no effort to get any relief pitching. Then the offense would have been even worse than 3 cats trying to get out of a paper bag and the wildcard would have been gone a long time ago. But no one will know will they? But again, I'm one of about 5 people who are ok with the "Big Trade" long-run aside. I'd even enjoy the deal more if the manager with 20 people in his bullpen knew basic managerial lineup construction.

And again to .... if Kearns and Lopez were such big trading chips and if WayneK had been trying to deal them - where are the big league clubs to actively trade for them? I think Team Clark, who is employed by a major league baseball team, said the market for Lopez and Kears was zip. Now, if you wait after the season, like some said, this year's editions would be even worse.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    And again to .... if Kearns and Lopez were such big trading chips and if WayneK had been trying to deal them - where are the big league clubs to actively trade for them? I think Team Clark, who is employed by a major league baseball team, said the market for Lopez and Kears was zip. Now, if you wait after the season, like some said, this year's editions would be even worse.
    The jury is still out on this deal.

Maybe Majewski will do well next year. It's pretty remarkable that Narron used him yesterday in that spot. Majewski pitched at AAA last Wed and Thur. He warmed up Friday. He pitched Saturday. Then Narron uses him yesterday.

This guy is coming off tendinitis which was so bad he needed a cortisone shot. So now he pitches every day? While Weathers sits in the pen for the whole series against SD?

The deal certainly hasn't helped much this year. The relievers are young, maybe they will do well next year, if used properly. And the Reds got minor league players in the deal. Kearns and Lopez have talent, as does Wagner. It's just impossible right now to figure out the long-term winner and loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I imagine DanO's 73 win team of last year would have been good for 4th place this season. So, improvement is relative.

This team is headed to a 78 win season, 5 win "improvement" over last year. And in a worse position to make a splash this offseason as compared to last. Color me bitterly disappointed.
    Well then lets just fire 'em all until FCB's desires are met. And keep doing it until so...

Color me unimpressed with your opinion...so perhaps you should be banned? Hardly.

We all make mistakes and yes, I believe the DC trade was a bad trade but I dont fault K for trying to solidify a weakness on our team.

Your constant badgering about firing Krivsky is so reactionary and puts you in a VERY small (yet oddly smug) minority.

Turn Off Ads?