Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The jury is still out on this deal.

Maybe Majewski will do well next year. It's pretty remarkable that Narron used him yesterday in that spot. Majewski pitched at AAA last Wed and Thur. He warmed up Friday. He pitched Saturday. Then Narron uses him yesterday.

This guy is coming off tendinitis which was so bad he needed a cortisone shot. So now he pitches every day? While Weathers sits in the pen for the whole series against SD?

The deal certainly hasn't helped much this year. The relievers are young, maybe they will do well next year, if used properly. And the Reds got minor league players in the deal. Kearns and Lopez have talent, as does Wagner. It's just impossible right now to figure out the long-term winner and loser.
    I think alot of problems could be resolved with a manager who knew what the bloody hizzell they were doing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just had a strong feeling come over me: The Reds are going to have a 6-3 homestand and will be a game or less back in the wildcard race by the time the homestand ends. Write it down. You heard it here first.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

Your constant badgering about firing Krivsky is so reactionary and puts you in a VERY small (yet oddly smug) minority.
    I can't help it if other people's standards aren't mine. It's not as though I'm the only one who's pointed out the gross mistakes Krivsky's made so far. So just because the conclusion I arrive at is more aggressive than others' that makes me smug? I've told you to put me on ignore before, and I'm telling you again: put me on ignore. I stress you out too much. Because one of these days you're going to realize that I'm right more often than you care to admit, and that you simply have to tip your cap to me, and that will be too much to bear for you. So next year, when the Reds are hovering around the .500 mark again and sinking in the standings doing it, what will then be the excuse, the defense of Krivsky? He hasn't had two offseasons to work with?
    Where or when does it end? When am I allowed to make a reckoning of his performance?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I just had a strong feeling come over me: The Reds are going to have a 6-3 homestand and will be a game or less back in the wildcard race by the time the homestand ends. Write it down. You heard it here first.
    OBM what is going on with you? All this sudden optimisim has me very concerned about you!

This team certinally has come back from being down in games and down in the standings. They were 6 back, IIRC before sweeping the Cards and Astros.

But they are pretty much out of time. If they really want this thing they better play MUCH better baseball for the remainder of the season. The whole is pretty deep.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Where or when does it end? When am I allowed to make a reckoning of his performance?
    Of course you are allowed to have an opinion and make a "reckoning" whenever you want.

But, in all fairness, FCB, can you see where others would think it rash to be calling for Kriv's head before his first season is even over?

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

But, in all fairness, FCB, can you see where others would think it rash to be calling for Kriv's head before his first season is even over?
    It may be rash. But there were many, many people calling for DanO's head before his first season was up.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You're always allowed, FCB. It would be pretty sad if opinions were censured because they are too far outside the mainstream.

Just gets a bit loud at times, for some.

BTW, I don't agree with you. I'll take Krivsky. Narron I want no part of.
    I'd really LOVE to know how much (if any) input Narron has given Krivsky for some of his moves.

I can just picture it now:

Narron: Wayne, I need MAJOR LEAGUE relievers!
    WK: Jerry, we got Burns "burnin'" it up in AAA. Shackleford's can be a LOOGY...
    Narron: Those guys aren't SEASONED VETERANS.
    WK: The market for relievers is tight Jerry, we're going to have to pay through the nose.
    Narron: Get me what I want...lots of them...or else I'll tell Bob on you.
    WK: OK, OK...keep it down...I'll get them for you...don't throw a fit, please.
    But we gotta give up some guys.
    Narron: You can have Kearns...we'll play Denorfia (fingers crossed).
    Pouts too much.
    WK: Might not be enough, Jerry.
    Narron: Lopez, too. I don't like his tattoos. And he makes ERRORS.
    WK: OK..let me see what I can get.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Just gets a bit loud at times, for some.

I'm not sure why. I've been posting a lot less the last few weeks.

If I can turn the tables: why do you like Krivsky? Enumerate the genuine successes of his tenure versus what you consider to be less shining moments.

I can't help it if other people's standards aren't mine. It's not as though I'm the only one who's pointed out the gross mistakes Krivsky's made so far. So just because the conclusion I arrive at is more aggressive than others' that makes me smug?
    No, what makes you smug is the constant self congratulating about their recent struggles.

I've told you to put me on ignore before, and I'm telling you again: put me on ignore. I stress you out too much.
    No, I wont ignore people. Since the politics forum is gone, this is the next best place to arguing pointlessly over things we have no control over.

Because one of these days you're going to realize that I'm right more often than you care to admit, and that you simply have to tip your cap to me, and that will be too much to bear for you.
    *smugness alert*

So next year, when the Reds are hovering around the .500 mark again and sinking in the standings doing it, what will then be the excuse, the defense of Krivsky? He hasn't had two offseasons to work with?
    Where or when does it end?
    Krivsky hasnt even had ONE let alone two to fault him for.

When am I allowed to make a reckoning of his performance?
    In a few years like we gave O'Brien.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post

In a few years like we gave O'Brien.

Brilliant.

In other words, AFTER the damage is done.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'm not sure why. I've been posting a lot less the last few weeks.

If I can turn the tables: why do you like Krivsky? Enumerate the genuine successes of his tenure versus what you consider to be less shining moments.
    Krivsky

I like:

Deal making philosophy: No sacred cows.
    Sense of Purpose (job to improve team, within means)
    Eye for Treasures in other clubs' scrap heap.
    Can cut crap loose

Dislike:

Tendency to overaccumulate certain categories (MI, RP)
    Tendency to try to recycle the unrecyclable.

As for trades in particular, I think the WMP-Arroyo trade was good. The Hatteberg signing. The Ross and Phillips signings were good.

The "TRADE" was a disappointment, in terms of what was addressed (RP instead of SP) and what came back. FeLos LH bat is really missed in the lineup these days. The other moves (Guardado, Cormier, etc.) reek of desperation.

Lohse can still be a nice surprise.

I'd say he did OK. I don't think we can contend in 2007, but that is because the talent isn't there. Not as the team stands today and not is terms of what can be traded for. Krivsky is going to have a tough time fixing that.

As for Narron, I believe he has become worse as the season progressed. Tired, stuck in certain ways...not willing to try new things or think outside the box. His game management is terrible. His answer to the pitching problems is to overwork his favorites. Will not give young players a chance(guess he never really got one) and plays the percentages badly.

My opinion as a fan...only.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Krivsky

I like:

Deal making philosophy: No sacred cows.
    Sense of Purpose (job to improve team, within means)
    Eye for Treasures in other clubs' scrap heap.
    Can cut crap loose

Dislike:

Tendency to overaccumulate certain categories (MI, RP)
    Tendency to try to recycle the unrecyclable.

As for trades in particular, I think the WMP-Arroyo trade was good. The Hatteberg signing. The Ross and Phillips signings were good.

The "TRADE" was a disappointment, in terms of what was addressed (RP instead of SP) and what came back. FeLos LH bat is really missed in the lineup these days. The other moves (Guardado, Cormier, etc.) reek of desperation.

Lohse can still be a nice surprise.

I'd say he did OK. I don't think we can contend in 2007, but that is because the talent isn't there. Not as the team stands today and not is terms of what can be traded for. Krivsky is going to have a tough time fixing that.

As for Narron, I believe he has become worse as the season progressed. Tired, stuck in certain ways...not willing to try new things or think outside the box. His game management is terrible. His answer to the pitching problems is to overwork his favorites. Will not give young players a chance(guess he never really got one) and plays the percentages badly.

My opinion as a fan...only.

What you like about Krivsky is what people liked about Bowden. But maybe that's neither here nor there. (Or maybe you liked Bowden).

In other words, AFTER the damage is done.
    So you are saying that any GM should be fired unless they are either (1) producing WS championship teams or (2) are building for the future and making no player moves the fans don't like?

Because that is what you'd have to do to ensure that a GM is not able to inflict any damage on a ballclub as you suggest.

FCB, I'm not saying Kriv gets a free pass or has made nothing but flawless moves, but I just can't agree that somehow he's made so many mistakes and caused so much harm that he should be fired even sooner than Dan O'Brian was. That is, I can't agree that Krivsky has done a worse job than Dan O'Brian.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    So you are saying that any GM should be fired unless they are either (1) producing WS championship teams or (2) are building for the future and making no player moves the fans don't like?

Because that is what you'd have to do to ensure that a GM is not able to inflict any damage on a ballclub as you suggest.

FCB, I'm not saying Kriv gets a free pass or has made nothing but flawless moves, but I just can't agree that somehow he's made so many mistakes and caused so much harm that he should be fired even sooner than Dan O'Brian was.
    You don't think O'Brien was kept around too long? That's what I'm trying to prevent.

No, I don't think the Reds should be a WC team, and no I don't care if Wayne makes moves that cause people to go bald or develop tetter from rage--I want him to make smart, bold moves that improve the team or set them up for near term and sustainable contention.

Eventually, being the worst clutch-hitting team in the Majors will catch up with you. It's not one or two guys...it's a team-wide issue.

Other than Encarnacion (.344), Hatteburg (.310), and Phillips (.304), everyone else was either below average or atrociously horrible.

The list of the atrociously horrible hitters this year:

LaRue (.132)
    Clayton (.152)
    Freel (.183)
    Valentine (.185)
    Junior (.213)
    Dunn (.233)

Milton was 4 for 10 with runners in scoring position....he would have been a better option at the plate than LaRue, Clayton, Freel, Valentine, or Junior.

Seriously, he would have been.

Well, the bright side is that Phillips and Hatteberg were Krivsky's signings, so we can look forward to him finding at least two more players like them over the course of the next eight months.

With our vastly improved pitching since Krivsky took over, we'll contend again next year, but hopefully further into the season.

It was nice having hope until September 1st for the first time in half a dozen years.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?