Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 346 to 360 of 370

Thread: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

  1. #346
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    No, I don't think the Reds should be a WC team, and no I don't care if Wayne makes moves that cause people to go bald or develop tetter from rage--I want him to make smart, bold moves that improve the team or set them up for near term and sustainable contention.
    Which, thank God, is exactly what he's done since he's taken over.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #347
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,054

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    You don't think O'Brien was kept around too long? That's what I'm trying to prevent.
    How noble of you, IMO instability is the bane of baseball productivity, by all means let your ADD approach to baseball rule the day and watch the drain for the floaters.

  4. #348
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Krivsky has already shown to me that he'll be the best G.M. the REDS have ever had during my lifetime (50 years).

    It's comforting to go to bed at night knowing that he's in charge.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  5. #349
    Member redsfanmia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Krivsky has already shown to me that he'll be the best G.M. the REDS have ever had during my lifetime (50 years).

    It's comforting to go to bed at night knowing that he's in charge.
    Bob Howsen says hello.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

  6. #350
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    How noble of you, IMO instability is the bane of baseball productivity, by all means let your ADD approach to baseball rule the day and watch the drain for the floaters.
    I agree that continuity is important, and only less important than finding the right guy.

  7. #351
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Krivsky has already shown to me that he'll be the best G.M. the REDS have ever had during my lifetime (50 years).

    It's comforting to go to bed at night knowing that he's in charge.
    Wow. I'm speechless. I have no idea what to do with this quote.

  8. #352
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Bob Howsen says hello.
    I was thinking that.....the BRM wasn't an accident.....

    It's a shame I wasn't around for it

  9. #353
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Howsam? Hell, Krivsky's going to be lucky to reach Quinn status.

  10. #354
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Krivsky has already shown to me that he'll be the best G.M. the REDS have ever had during my lifetime (50 years).

    It's comforting to go to bed at night knowing that he's in charge.
    Umm.. Giving the fact that we are a game below .500 and finding injuries with majority of the aquisitions. I'll give Wayne the offseason to turn this ship around but to this point he has just weeded through the team to rid himself of the Dan O squad and rekindle old ties with some Twins rejects. I by all means think Wayne will be better than OB and Bowden.. but to compare him to Bob Howsam who created the Big Red Machine.. hrmm.. can't see your justification

  11. #355
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Umm.. Giving the fact that we are a game below .500 and finding injuries with majority of the aquisitions. I'll give Wayne the offseason to turn this ship around but to this point he has just weeded through the team to rid himself of the Dan O squad and rekindle old ties with some Twins rejects. I by all means think Wayne will be better than OB and Bowden.. but to compare him to Bob Howsam who created the Big Red Machine.. hrmm.. can't see your justification

    Wayne Krivsky Presents:

    Madea's Family Reunion with the Minnesota Twins.

    "Oh, Sugar, it doesn't matter if you suck, you're family!"

  12. #356
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,054

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Howsam? Hell, Krivsky's going to be lucky to reach Quinn status.
    Yes, I can hear it now.

    Bob Quinn - Hired October 1989
    Former Title: Yankee Employee

    First Move - - It almost seems common with Reds general managers, the first deal is usually a deal for arms, and in Cook’s case it was no different, in December he sent John Franco to the Mets for Randy Meyers and Kip Gross.
    FCB- Mark my words Meyers will be meat and Franco will be in the World Series one day.

    Most Famous Player Traded First - John Franco was the Reds closer and a fan favorite, evidently he was easy to replace.
    FCB - The Reds will Rue the day they traded a LH Reliever for a LH releiver

    Most Famous Trade Pickup - Billy Hatcher/Bill Doran. Not looking for big name players Quinn’s biggest names acquired would both play roles in the 1990 teams run for the title, and neither would cost more then a middling prospect.
    FCB - Hatcher is a hack and Doran is finished.

    Best Young Player Pickup - Quinn’s 2nd trade was a steal for the Reds as Quinn picked the pocket of his former employers the Yankees and traded Tim Leary and Van Snider for Hal Morris.
    FCB - This team needs power, after Benzinger isn't that evident.

    See Ya - Who’d he cut? - Quinn was the man responsible finally getting Dave Collins of the field of play.
    FCB - Duh.

    In Quinn’s first draft he created what some consider a cardinal sin, he drafted a catcher with his first pick. Holy Steve Swisher, it didn’t fail… nor impress many either.
    FCB - Foolish, foolish man, 2nd level of hell for him due to that pick.

  13. #357
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, I can hear it now.



    FCB- Mark my words Meyers will be meat and Franco will be in the World Series one day.



    FCB - The Reds will Rue the day they traded a LH Reliever for a LH releiver



    FCB - Hatcher is a hack and Doran is finished.



    FCB - This team needs power, after Benzinger isn't that evident.



    FCB - Duh.



    FCB - Foolish, foolish man, 2nd level of hell for him due to that pick.

    Quinn was a middling GM, and I said Wayne will be lucky to reach his status, meaning he probably won't even be as good as Quinn.

    Not sure I get the retort.

    Oh, and Franco did make it to the Series, and had a much more productive career (Hall of Fame?) than Myers.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 09-04-2006 at 04:58 PM.

  14. #358
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,328

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    I know JS of the Braves won in KC....but did he not take over the Braves in 1989...and it took him 3 years, even with Avery/Glavine/Smoltz as SP to have that team competing?

    1st 2 years were 100 losses and then about 95 the next.

    A GM needs about 3 years at least to do something worthwhile in building hos own team.
    Does not mean you cannot blasts a bad trade...which the WAS has tunred out to be for what was given in return.
    This makes him pretty much even for the Pena, Loshe (that is a good deal for trying to win now) Phillips trades...and the Ross, Hat pickups......AT least even, if not still ahead.

    If you keep giving a GM only about 1-2 years.....you will see constant roster turnover to match the desire of what that GM likes in players....and you always have a half and half team of players that the previous GM likes against the ones that the new GM likes. Is that a good thing?

  15. #359
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    49,054

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Not sure I get the retort.
    What's to get? Quinn made non sexy choices that made key contributions, plus he is the man who brought Piniella in. Only 8 teams in baseball history have gone from below .500 one year to World Champions the next, the 1990 Reds were one of them.

    One mans middling is another mans work.

  16. #360
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    26,970

    Re: 9/3 game thread, end of west coast massacre!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I know JS of the Braves won in KC....but did he not take over the Braves in 1989...and it took him 3 years, even with Avery/Glavine/Smoltz as SP to have that team competing?

    1st 2 years were 100 losses and then about 95 the next.

    A GM needs about 3 years at least to do something worthwhile in building hos own team.
    Does not mean you cannot blasts a bad trade...which the WAS has tunred out to be for what was given in return.
    This makes him pretty much even for the Pena, Loshe (that is a good deal for trying to win now) Phillips trades...and the Ross, Hat pickups......AT least even, if not still ahead.

    If you keep giving a GM only about 1-2 years.....you will see constant roster turnover to match the desire of what that GM likes in players....and you always have a half and half team of players that the previous GM likes against the ones that the new GM likes. Is that a good thing?
    You know, DanO never got his full 3 years. Maybe we should bring him back for an encore.

    A guy's got it, or he doesn't. I don't see how Krivsky's ahead in the balance at this point.

    And how is Lohse a good pick up?

    Continuity is important, I agree, but bad continuity kills a team quicker and in a more prolonged fashion than even heavy turnover.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator