Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Howard

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Ryan Howard

This kid is going absolutely nuts hitting the ball. Today against the Braves he's 4-4 with 3 HR to give him 52 on the year.

I saw the discussion on TV the other day, do you think he'll get past 61 this year and if he does, will he be, in your eyes, the first person to do it without an asterisk next to his name?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Howard

WOW!!! That is some more of a day that he is having, and of the 7 guys that have 61 or more homers in a season...

1. Barry Bonds 73 2001
    2. Mark McGwire 70 1998
    3. Sammy Sosa 66 1998
    4. Mark McGwire 65 1999
    5. Sammy Sosa 64 2001
    6. Sammy Sosa 63 1999
    7. Roger Maris 61 1961

Yes, I do believe that he would be the only one not to raise suspicions other than of course Maris. So yes, he could be the only legit one to break the 61 mark, and yes, it would be interesting to see how far he can get and I would be so happy if he could break that Bonds single season mark...that would be nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I would be so happy if he could break that Bonds single season mark...that would be nice!!!
    If he does that, the Phils win the wildcard. I personally hope he doesn't hit another all year. But I understand your point.

Braves take lead in 9th! Diaz 3 run shot!
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Phils win 8 to 7....OOOOH.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by dburke1337 View Post
    This kid is going absolutely nuts hitting the ball. Today against the Braves he's 4-4 with 3 HR to give him 52 on the year.

I saw the discussion on TV the other day, do you think he'll get past 61 this year and if he does, will he be, in your eyes, the first person to do it without an asterisk next to his name?

He is still not nearly as good as Dunn.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy View Post
    Well, that is debatable. This season, Howard is batting .308/.401/.660 with 52 homers. All of which would be career highs for Dunn.

Don't get me wrong, I like Adam Dunn, but he hasn't had a season like the one Ryan Howard is having.

yeah...

Did you forget your ?

Howard looks like he could easily take the HR title if his career is short on injuries... and he can hit for AVG, too.

Pujols has some stiff competition for the most dominant hitter in the NL now.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

You so sure about that?

Code:
    Career Numbers

Player		H/162	HR/162	TB/162	BB/162	K/162	OBP	SLG	OPS	AVG
    Dunn		139	40	292	113	182	.381	.520	.901	.248
    Howard		171	51	356	75	179	.382	.622	1.004	.300
    These say you're wrong, but I knew that without looking up these numbers.

I'm one of the biggest Dunn supporters around, but Ryan Howard's certainly had a better start to his career.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamWallaman View Post
    Did you forget your ?

Howard looks like he could easily take the HR title if his career is short on injuries... and he can hit for AVG, too.
    He started his career way to far into his 20s to make a legit run. He is 26 now and just in his 2nd full year.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He started his career way to far into his 20s to make a legit run. He is 26 now and just in his 2nd full year.
    Older than I remembered off hand... oh well...

He's still a top tier hitter. 50+ HR his first full year... wow!

Just because the Phils were too stupid to bring this guy up sooner, do not penalize him. He hit over .300 for a few years at the AAA level and if the Phils had not goofed by signing Thome, he would have been up at 24. He is MUCH better than Dunn. It is really not close.

Ryan is putting up numbers that I thought Dunn would attain. He still might, but I doubt it.

Howard is better than Dunn, in my opinion. His quick compact swing allows him to handle inside stuff and wait on and drive pitches the other way. Not quite as compact as Bonds, but he's in the neighborhood. He''ll probably have a fairly large adjustment to make as teams pitch around him, but I think he'll be able to stay patient.

Quote Originally Posted by 91OSUAlum View Post
    Just because the Phils were too stupid to bring this guy up sooner, do not penalize him. He hit over .300 for a few years at the AAA level and if the Phils had not goofed by signing Thome, he would have been up at 24. He is MUCH better than Dunn. It is really not close.
    Agreed. Thome at first stunted Howard's oppty at first. He's going to be one of the top hitting 1B's for the next 5+ years assuming that he doesn't get injured.

Turn Off Ads?