Just got back from Petco, and here's a few things I noticed from my left field seats:
1) Milton pitched beautifully. There was only one flyball I recall that he gave up that would have been a homer in GABP. He was getting a lot of groundballs too. He wasn't straight up missing bats, but for the most part hitters fouled off anything close, but never right on it. His only questionable decision is not taking the sure out on the Wells bunt. Of course, he had no idea Ross would throw away the pickoff attempt, but still, take the out. Great job by Eric and a shame we couldn't give him a win for his efforts.
2) I have held out for so long in bashing Majewski and Cormier since they came over. Well, I've now officially had it with them. I understand Gary's just coming back, but good heavens, throw a freakin strike. That pitch he hit Cammy with was just awful. It's terrible that the second Majewski came in, my heart sank. And Cormier, if you want to come in at the beginning of an inning, it would help to every now and again get the first guy out.
3) I love Ryan Freel....but he probably didn't have to dive for that ball in the 7th. Although I'm 100% sure Griffey doesn't make that catch.
4) Speaking of Griffey, I know it was a routine grounder, but run out a ball for once in your life. Please?
5) I'm sure it's my Reds bias coming through, but it seemed like a TON of padre grounders had eyes. Two out of the reach of Clayton I'm unfortunately beginning to get used to, but I think 3 B-Phil just missed. Luck was against us in that regard.
6) I know there was already one out in the 5th when Deno was on 2nd, but I was wondering why not have Freel bunt for a hit there too? Wells was beyond slow getting off the mound, and we weren't getting great wood on his pitches anyways. Great catch by Barfield in that inning definitely saved a run too.
7) Sitting in the left field box, we were right by the Padre bullpen. I hated the reason he was coming in, but Hell's Bells when Hoffman came out along with a clapping in unison crowd was pretty darn cool.
8) Petco's a great park; if you've never seen a game there; I highly recommend it.
Quick game, just under 2 and a half hours. The sun shining bright couldn't hide my disappointment though. I'm not sure how many more losses I can keep saying "Well we've got some work to do" before it turns into a pipe dream.